GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Beginner looking for a basic shopping list ...

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
Hey, all. After reading a lot of the general posts here I'm still rather confused. :p I'm really not interested in getting hardcore about cleaning my car and waxing every week, but I would like to wash it every other and keep the interior nice and clean.

With that in mind, can anyone be so kind as to give me a solid list of basic items I should buy at my local Autozone.

I need suggestions for exterior and interior wash products, wax product, tire shine, exterior and interior towels, and glass cleaner that beads water nicely (and anything else really important that I'm missing). Thank you a million times over guys! :)

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Helpful list at the top of my post here... this is a pretty complete detail, but only needs to be done 2x a year, normal cleanings dont' require AIO/Sealant/Clay/etc.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6431

Two great sites to purchase from:
detailersdomain.com (Phil is awesome - use code golfmk5 for 10% off)
autogeek.net (use code autopia for 10% off)

Both run frequent sales, including this weekend!

Other things:
2x buckets with Grit Guards (at least 1 grit guard!)
2-3 wash media (microfiber or chenile mitts, etc.)
2x microfiber drying towels (a must!)
Wheel brushes

You'll kick out a fair bit of cash initially, but spending $100 or so on stuff now will save y ou tons over goign to a normal car wash, and cut down significantly on the damage to your paint. Even if you're super careful, you will cause scratches, it happens - but light, linear scratches are easy to take out - massive swirling is much harder!

MadRabbit1

Ready to race!
For cleaning, get everything you can in micro fiber. from the wash mitt to the glass cleaning towels. Use the giant absorber for drying, be sure to have an air compressor ready, she drips from all over the place and nothing ruins a good cleaning like water spots and runs.

here is my list:
Mother Gold Class - Wash Soap
Dupont Teflon - Tire Polish (tires only, do not use anything on interior, just wipe it)
Invisible Glass - inside and out
Klasse - Glaze and Sealer
Klasse - AIO Cleaner
Mothers Chrome Paste (for the Milltek Exhaust Tips)

Hope that helps, and once you see how good it looks clean.... good luck not going hardcore

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
For cleaning, get everything you can in micro fiber. from the wash mitt to the glass cleaning towels. Use the giant absorber for drying, be sure to have an air compressor ready, she drips from all over the place and nothing ruins a good cleaning like water spots and runs.

here is my list:
Mother Gold Class - Wash Soap
Dupont Teflon - Tire Polish (tires only, do not use anything on interior, just wipe it)
Invisible Glass - inside and out
Klasse - Glaze and Sealer
Klasse - AIO Cleaner
Mothers Chrome Paste (for the Milltek Exhaust Tips)

Hope that helps, and once you see how good it looks clean.... good luck not going hardcore

haha - not sure how much hardcore I can go!

- What do you use to dry your car after a wash?
- Do you have to buff after using the AIO or just after the Glaze and Sealer?
- Is there a recommended waiting period between applying those?
- Do these two products replace waxing?
- How often should the AIO and Glaze/Sealer be applied? Every six months?
- Any other helpful tips? :)
- Besides the tire shine, glass cleaner, and wash soap, should I buy anything in addition to the Klasse Super Size Kit? (http://www.autogeek.net/klassupsizki.html)

This is my first "nice" car so I've never bothered with any of this stuff before! :p

Pjai

Ready to race!
get lots of micro fibre towels

and perhaps consider getting a clay bar kit on top of those. If your car is white and it rains alot in your area, it will be worth it.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Things you should have:

Minimum:
* Dawn (removes wax)
* Car wash soap (doesn't remove wax)
* Microfibers
* Two buckets (one wash, one rinse)
* Quality sponge or mitt
* Single-step wax (Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Techwax)

Moderate:
* California water-blade
* Clay Bar kit
* Wheel / Tire products
* Cleaner Wax
* Beauty Wax

I've tried a bunch of waxes.
Some of my favorite over-the-counter products:

Autoglym HD
Meguiar's NXT 2.0
Meguiar's Gold Class
Mother's Reflections Ultimate
Mother's steps 1, 2, 3

And the worst:
All spray-waxes I've tried (Lucas Speedwax, Simoniz Quickwax, etc)
Eagle One Nanowax
That "ICE" shit

arsenal_mk6

Ready to race!
Thanks, guys. Here is what I ordered last night from AutoGeek.net. I'm going to buy buckets locally to avoid the shipping costs, but I have to ask: why two buckets?! :) Don't you just rinse the car with a hose?

Do I still need to buy a wax if I'm using the Klasse AIO And Sealant? Anything else I'm missing that is important?

Klasse Kit (AIO and Sealant)
Mothers California Gold Car Wash
Stoner Invisible Glass Pump Spray
303 Aerospace Protectant
Wolfgang Leather Care Combo (Cleaner and Conditioner)
Mothers Ultra Soft Drying Towel
Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt
Mothers FX Engineered Tire Shine
3 Pack Cobra Yellow All Purpose Microfiber

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Grit guard - at least one for your rinse bucket. makes a huge difference in getting grit off your wash media and keeping it off.

Also, sponges aren't great for washing - microfiber mitts are where it's at. Lambswool is fine too, just be real careful about grit. You'll want at LEAST 2 - if you drop one, you want a backup so you're not even tempted to keep using it.

You'll also want wheel cleaner (sonax is awesome, as is p21s, both are expensive though) and brushes for the wheels.

evosky

Passed Driver's Ed
windex baby whooooo.

just kidding.
sounds like you got some good stuff, hope it works out!
i like to use meguair's NXT wash, the california blade, some terry towels for drying, then some turtle wax polish (occasionally only) followed by some spray wax (i know it's not the best) or some liquid wax if i have more time. also have tried the solid waxes, those are great if you've got 2+ hours to kill just for waxing.

also, learn some techniques for how/when/where to wash the car, as that's just as important as your tools/materials. i only rise/wash by section, never rinsing then soaping the entire car. also, if you have spare sponges, you could wash your wheels and glass first rather than last. and try to avoid the hottest times of the day and being in direct sunlight.

DvS21

Ready to race!
I like chenille wash mitts personally I think they have better suds retention than microfiber ones.

I recommend Eagle One Never Dull for the exhaust tips as it's pretty cheap (5 bucks for a year's supply) and easy to use. I use black magic foaming wheel and tire cleaner, which I think works very well on my stock denvers. Also, you are going to need more microfiber's trust me. I use about 5 just to dry my car!

Also, on the wax with Klasse topic. You totally can, it will give you the protection/hard shine of the synthetic sealant (klasse) with the deep liquidity of a wax finish. Use the wax after the Klasse though! I do and, frankly I can get my CSG looking so deep and with such a great shine, I've had it mistaken for black on more than one occasion.