GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch slipping at 4.5k miles? APR stage 1

Dubscraper

I just bought my 2012 GTI in April and about 3 weeks ago had APR Stage 1 installed (thank you Futrell Autowerks). I drive my car spiritedly, but I had never redlined the car, never launched it, never burned out, never done anything stupid. I baby the crap out of my GTI. I live in Portland so my idea of a fun driving day is to go out on the backroads in Mt Hood national forest and take some twisty country roads, as opposed to racing in a manner that would be hard on my clutch.

Getting to the point: when I give the engine a solid amount of gas in 4th or 5th gear and build up some boost, the tachometer is not corresponding to my acceleration. As the car is accelerating my tach rises quickly and then dips. Somtimes the tach will rise more quickly than my speedometer and hold a high RPM level and then the speed will catch up with the RPMs. In any case, this is worrisome. I have noticed this only on the highway and mostly only in 4th or 5th gear and maybe once in third gear. Never in 2nd gear.

WTF is going on?

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
slipping clutch, has been happening to mostly stage 2 guys but some stage 1 people as well... with only 4.5k miles on it you MAY be able to get it under warranty with your dealership, but it wont be easy unless they are very mod friendly.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
That's a bummer and bad luck for sure. But when you're making 50% more torque than stock, you really can't blame VW. :/

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
What are my options?

flash back to stock, bring it to the dealership and see if they will warranty it.. clutch is a hard part to get under warranty tho cuz its a wear and tear item...

or you can buy a new clutch (upgraded one of course: clutchmasters or SouthBend stage 2) and have that installed.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
or you can buy a new clutch (upgraded one of course: clutchmasters or SouthBend stage 2) and have that installed.

This.

You're just going to end up needing a clutch that's better than OEM anyway so do the job once, the right way. Yeah, it sucks we got a cheap clutch OEM, but at least it's just the clutch.

Back in the day when I bought a new 1988 Mustang GT the transmission they used (basic T5) was a hold over from the older engine and wasn't rated for the newer 5.0's extra torque. I went through 3 transmission rebuilds for 3rd and 4th gear before I just bought a new transmisssion that Ford sold through the SVT sales that handled more torque and should have used by default in the car.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
flash back to stock, bring it to the dealership and see if they will warranty it.. clutch is a hard part to get under warranty tho cuz its a wear and tear item...

Marc, dont think that will work. They can still tell something's been done to it if they plug in to the OBDII.

Dubscraper

This sucks. Is my clutch defective or can the OEM clutch just not handle the torque?

Why would it only do this in 4th and 5th gear and not in, say, 2nd?

Why haven't I heard about this issue?

I thought that I did extensive research on potential problems from APR stage 1 and really couldn't find any. Also, I thought that our drivetrain was rated to like 500hp or something crazy like that.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
He can always go to the dealer and try. Remember wear and tear warranty is until 12k miles or 1 year. At least that's what the service adviser told me last time.

SRT2GTI

Banned
This sucks. Is my clutch defective or can the OEM clutch just not handle the torque?

I thought that I did extensive research on potential problems from APR stage 1 and really couldn't find any. Also, I thought that our drivetrain was rated to like 500hp or something crazy like that.

You make more torque in 4th gear. Also, if you're heavy on the gas while in a lower rpm range, you're putting more stress on the drivetrain.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion

thats how you'd check for a slipping clutch.. it's putting alot of stress on the clutch when you floor it in low RPM's and a high gear.

and you couldn't be more wrong about the 500hp. no where near 500hp, hell not even rated at 300hp.. and stage 1 people have been hit or miss, where as more people stage 2 are having issues. some clutches you get lucky, others dont.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Just go to your dealer ASAP and let them know what is going on. Given its a new car it might be covered regardless of being tuned. Don't assume its not until they and other dealers tell you it isn't.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Just go to your dealer ASAP and let them know what is going on. Given its a new car it might be covered regardless of being tuned. Don't assume its not until they and other dealers tell you it isn't.

Is it worth it though? If he goes in there and they deny him then he us in the same situation and VW now knows he has a tuned car.

slackin via taptalk

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Is it worth it though? If he goes in there and they deny him then he us in the same situation and VW now knows he has a tuned car.

Don't know if you don't ask. They'll know the car is tuned the minute they take it in for any service.

With only 4.5k miles on the clock, I'd be asking for sure. If the OP were at 30k miles and it started happening, then I wouldn't really bother asking.