GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch slipping at 4.5k miles? APR stage 1

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
go test it first. put it in stock mode and see if it slips first.. if slips then you have a higher chance of it being warrantied.

This is the first thing you should do, because if it doesn't slip on stock mode, there is no sense in going through the dealer for something that they won't be able to replicate.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
It is random. I got Stage 1 at 1000 miles and i'm now at 37,400 with zero slippage. I track and autox the car, too. I'd consider myself a smooth driver though.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
I don't think it has much to do with the tune as much as faulty factory clutches or abuse by the owner. Both my GTI's have been fine with stock clutch while tuned. My current car has 9K in it and my 2011 had 16K when I traded it in. Knock on wood....

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
Simple lesson is... You have to pay to play.

If your clutch slipped at 4.5k stock, its certainly VW's fault.

If it slips after you tune your car outside of VW's engineered specific power ceilings, well....
Unfortunately to run your stage 1 properly will require "supporting modifications in the form of a better clutch.

Dubscraper

I don't think it has much to do with the tune as much as faulty factory clutches or abuse by the owner. Both my GTI's have been fine with stock clutch while tuned. My current car has 9K in it and my 2011 had 16K when I traded it in. Knock on wood....

Not that I think you're implying that I've been sitting around abusing my clutch for sport or anything, but I have never redlined the car, never launched it, never burned out, never done anything stupid. I live in Portland so my idea of a fun driving day is to go out on the backroads in Mt Hood national forest and take some twisty country roads, as opposed to racing in a manner that would be hard on my clutch.

My point is that its simply frustrating to have this happen after < 1,000 miles on the tune when I know that I have been treating my clutch very responsibly.

True story--you've got to pay to play.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Well, manufacturers change part vendors all the time, whoever offers a better deal on a certain part get the contract, even if you see VW/AUDI on it, it comes from other places. Only VW knows who made this clutches and how much they saved. Until you try your car on stock mode and see if it slips, there isn't really much anyone can tell you.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
One of the benefits of custom remapping is tailoring it specifically for your car.

On my previous Seat Leon Cupra I had a custom map. The guy just downloaded the stock map from the car, played with it in whatever matrix looking mad software he had for about 30 mins. Uploaded it and away I go. Was incredibly fast. I noticed the clutch slipping around peak torque, went back to him and he just redid the map for a bit less torque or whatever around that point, uploaded it and slipping was gone and it was absolutely fine for a least next 20k miles.

I'm not too enthused about the standard off the shelf 'one for all' tunes APR, Revo etc do. But it is what it is and what's available here.

I don't know how VWs tool tells there is a tune (file size etc) and if the original stock map only was put back on would they still determine the TD1 code. I would hope the APR dealers back this up first for each car.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
What if I reflash back to stock take it tot he dealership and deny til I am blue that I had anything to do with my ECU ever being flashed? Anyone think I have a good chance at getting it replaced?

Don't do this.

Two reasons....first, it's a total dick move. Second reason, because they WILL know that you are tuned and they will be pretty pissed off to find out you lied about it. They may be willing to handle it under warranty, but once you lie to them that chance become nill, zip, ziltch.

I have 8k on the odometer, Stage 1 at 1k miles, went Stage 2 at 5k......zero slipping. And I don't "baby" my clutch but I treat it right. Rev matched shifts, full engagement and disengagement at shifts.....but I have used it. It's not my daily so when I drive it it's for fun. Lots of high speed mountain runs, lots of high RPM hill climbing. It's had all the power I have on tap thrust against it over and over again. Zero slipping.

No reason the clutch should give out after 4500 miles from Stage 1, or even Stage 2. These clutches are weak and have some issue with production because they fail way to early and more often than not, on stock cars. It's not the tune, it's the clutch. The only reason the tune comes into it here is if the dealer is non mod friendly or a dick.

Dubscraper

Well, I've got some good news. I went to the dealership this evening after work to pick up my plates (90 tag expired today). I went around back and spoke with one of the mechanics and explained my issue. The answer that I received was that tuned or not there's no reason for the clutch to be slipping before I have even put license plates on the car, regardless of my driving style. He fully expects that the issue should be corrected under warranty. However, there's obviously no way to know how it will play out until after I make an appointment and formally take it in to get it looked at.

Thumper, I decided to follow your advice before I even read your post. It was a thought I was toying with.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Thumper, I decided to follow your advice before I even read your post. It was a thought I was toying with.

:thumbsup: :D

Yeah, the only way you're gonna smoke the clutch that soon is by strapping on a Stage 3+ and ride the clutch.

nevekd128

Ready to race!
Good luck with the refund.

As for the clutch, as everyone said, it's hit or miss. I'm stage 2 and mine slips a little now and again, but I know it's partly because of how I've abused the clutch. I'm used to cars with a lot more power, so I've been known to slip the clutch a little longer than needed at a higher RPM to get off of a stop quicker in this car.

Stage 1/2 flash + OEM clutch + driving style will determine how long until you need a clutch. If you read here before your tune you would have seen all the threads where the DSG guys like to brag about not needing a clutch. :laugh:
when 100k+ hits, we will get to laugh at the cost of mech units and rebuilds!

JewFro

Ready to race!
when 100k+ hits, we will get to laugh at the cost of mech units and rebuilds!

Yea no kidding! My friend with an 06 GTI just had to replace his DSG (snapped the dog bone right out of the trans casing). It was $2500 for a used trans that turned out to be junk (burnt clutches and bad mechatronics unit) and VW wanted $6500 for a remanufactured DSG or $11k for a new one :eek:

His father owns a body shop and through his distributors was able to source a reman'd trans for about $3500 but that is still an extremely sobering experience.

Lets be happy its only our clutches we have to worry about :)

28k, been stage 2 since 3k, and no problems yet *knock on wood*

nevekd128

Ready to race!
Yea no kidding! My friend with an 06 GTI just had to replace his DSG (snapped the dog bone right out of the trans casing). It was $2500 for a used trans that turned out to be junk (burnt clutches and bad mechatronics unit) and VW wanted $6500 for a remanufactured DSG or $11k for a new one :eek:

His father owns a body shop and through his distributors was able to source a reman'd trans for about $3500 but that is still an extremely sobering experience.

Lets be happy its only our clutches we have to worry about :)

28k, been stage 2 since 3k, and no problems yet *knock on wood*

i had to read that 3 times to be sure i got that right. but hey. gotta pay to play and be lazy.
a 1k clutch job once with a clutch we should realistically never burn out after install sounds good to me. even better. dsg's have 2 clutches that can go out lol. life's good. drive stick