GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Well we ended up buying a 2013 RDX AWD w/ tech from a body shop down in Florida with a rebuilt title. We got a screaming deal - $22.5k. That is lower than I could pay for getting a salvage one to my front door and fix it without taking on tons of risk. Its only got 12k miles on it, and is the Graphite Luster Metallic color (metal flake grey). My wife is pumped!

I had the local acura dealer inspect it, and everything came out great. The service manager said it looked brand new, and from all the pics I've got of the car I have to believe him. It is getting shipped up to us this week, so hopefully we will have it before the holiday! Woo!

The way I see it, if I can get this for less than a salvage car pre-rebuild, I can afford to stick a little money into it when it gets here to bring it up to my standards. The good thing is that the dealer checked everything out and couldn't find any sign of the rebuild, or any problems, besides one of the radiator fans not working, which he said was probably a fuse. Even if it isn't, that's like $100 bucks to replace. Its still way cheaper than a salvage car I rebuild myself. Plus I don't have to suffer in my frozen garage for 3 months. Win-win!

Last edited:

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Well we ended up buying a 2013 RDX AWD w/ tech from a body shop down in Florida with a rebuilt title. We got a screaming deal - $22.5k. That is lower than I could pay for getting a salvage one to my front door and fix it without taking on tons of risk. Its only got 12k miles on it, and is the Graphite Luster Metallic color (metal flake grey). My wife is pumped!

I had the local acura dealer inspect it, and everything came out great. The service manager said it looked brand new, and from all the pics I've got of the car I have to believe him. It is getting shipped up to us this week, so hopefully we will have it before the holiday! Woo!

The way I see it, if I can get this for less than a salvage car pre-rebuild, I can afford to stick a little money into it when it gets here to bring it up to my standards. The good thing is that the dealer checked everything out and couldn't find any sign of the rebuild, or any problems, besides one of the radiator fans not working, which he said was probably a fuse. Even if it isn't, that's like $100 bucks to replace. Its still way cheaper than a salvage car I rebuild myself. Plus I don't have to suffer in my frozen garage for 3 months. Win-win!

Serious Congrats on your new purchase!

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man! Its on a truck from paradise headed up to this frozen tundra we call home.

Long Island has been freezing too.. Not like where you are, but ice everywhere, and having my cars being coated in dirt/sand/winter road crap... Lovely...

mk6_dan

Passed Driver's Ed
Read all 20 pages in one sitting. You are very inspiring. Also, I am very impressed with the way you dealt with all the negativity. :thumbsup::happyanim:

eric262

I just read this whole thread. Great job with the GTI. Slightly insane too!

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, in the second pic it looks like the fender is a different color than the door - wierd illusion, because the paint match is awesome in person.

We are really impressed with how well it handles in the snow. We got 3 or so inches last night and it handled beautifully. My wife was very confident behind the wheel while driving through the snow storm. And there is lots of room inside, which is awesome for hauling christmas presents, treats, and swag. And I got 30 mpg driving it 70 on the freeway for about a 75 mile trip. I just bought a few bits of interior trim to replace a few scratched panels, but overall the car is in great shape. We saved somewhere between $10-14k on it, we think we got an insane deal! No warranty, but I'm ready to fix anything the goes wrong (and its an acura, so hopefully it will run forever)

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Not to be a downer, but paint variations do show up better in pictures/monitors than in person. The first time I noticed the gas filler door on my GTI was a slightly different shade of red was in pictures I took of it. Again, you won't notice unless you know what to look for, but you can tell somewhat easy in pictures.

Last edited:

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Hmm, in the second pic it looks like the fender is a different color than the door - wierd illusion, because the paint match is awesome in person.

We are really impressed with how well it handles in the snow. We got 3 or so inches last night and it handled beautifully. My wife was very confident behind the wheel while driving through the snow storm. And there is lots of room inside, which is awesome for hauling christmas presents, treats, and swag. And I got 30 mpg driving it 70 on the freeway for about a 75 mile trip. I just bought a few bits of interior trim to replace a few scratched panels, but overall the car is in great shape. We saved somewhere between $10-14k on it, we think we got an insane deal! No warranty, but I'm ready to fix anything the goes wrong (and its an acura, so hopefully it will run forever)

That's awesome! I'd say it's a great deal. I really wish I could find a car of my own to bring back.