GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Not to be a downer, but paint variations do show up better in pictures/monitors than in person. The first time I noticed the gas filler door on my GTI was a slightly different shade of red was in pictures I took of it. Again, you won't notice unless you know what to look for, but you can tell somewhat easy in pictures.

True that, I'm glad it's that way, not the other way around. It looks great in person, that's all we care about.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, in the second pic it looks like the fender is a different color than the door - wierd illusion, because the paint match is awesome in person.

We are really impressed with how well it handles in the snow. We got 3 or so inches last night and it handled beautifully. My wife was very confident behind the wheel while driving through the snow storm. And there is lots of room inside, which is awesome for hauling christmas presents, treats, and swag. And I got 30 mpg driving it 70 on the freeway for about a 75 mile trip. I just bought a few bits of interior trim to replace a few scratched panels, but overall the car is in great shape. We saved somewhere between $10-14k on it, we think we got an insane deal! No warranty, but I'm ready to fix anything the goes wrong (and its an acura, so hopefully it will run forever)

Dont worry about hondas and acuras, i beated the hell out of my old acura, delivering pizzas and going to school for the last year in a half of ownership, i did bit over 30k on last year up to 140k miles of its life. Maintenance does get more consistent and frequent after 100k miles, though.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Here is a little mini-review of the RDX that I posted in another thread (I am primarily comparing it to the q5 3.0t):

We got a killer deal on a 2013 AWD w/ tech ($22.5k) with only 12k miles, and the cheapest way for us into a q5 that we wanted was almost $37k (salvage/repairable). The rdx is super quiet and comfy on the highway, and believe it or not I got 30mpg on the way home from where we picked it up (70 mph avg, 75 miles). I still like the q5 3.0t alot more, but I came to the realizations that (A.) it is my wife's car (not mine), (B.) that she liked the rdx alot (especially for the price), and (C.) that this way we can have a reliable car in the garage that is somewhat fuel efficient and luxurious. I will probably end up with some kind of German sports sedan as my next car, and I am happy to have a car in the garage that I hopefully won't have to fix :thumbup:

If I had to sum up the RDX, it is just an easy car to drive and live with. It's really smooth and quiet, great in the snow, fuel-efficient, quick, and luxurious on the inside. But it lacks the enthusiast "spark" that the q5 3.0t has. It doesn't stand out to me, but I value performance and handling over luxury and quiet/ smoothness. My wife is the opposite, and this RDX certainly leans toward refined luxury over sportiness. Now don't get me wrong, with 276 naturally aspirated horses under the hood, the thing hauls (more than the q5 2.0t). It is faster than my stock gti to 60. The engine sounds great too. It just feels more like a luxo-crossover than a performance one - again, missing that enthusiast "spark".

Also, while the tow rating of only 1500lbs is pitiful, there seems to be a lot more useable space in the rdx than the q5, both in the hatch area and the rear seats. I could comfortably sit behind myself in the rdx- not so in the q5. The seats are very comfortable in the RDX as well, and the leather is buttery smooth.

It's kind of hard to describe, but I guess you could say the RDX is just a really nice and easy car to own. It's the jack of all trades (like the gti), but it appeals to the luxury owner who wants value, not an enthusiast looking for a moddable sporty car experience (like the gti does). It certainly is a great value, but if it was my primary car I would save for the q5 3.0t. Since its not, I am super pumped that my wife loves it, because it's a great car for her ( and me too). And at the price we paid, it was the clear choice for us. Honestly, we were hoping to be into our next car for under $30k after we sold the 'tek, and with the q5 that wasn't a realistic option. With the RDX, we will be well under $20k into it; it was a no-brainer for us.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
So this MDX was already repaired by someone else? What was the damage?

Man, presumably that person made a profit so he must have bought it for a song.

Good luck and jealous of your ability to deal with any issues that may arise in a rebuilt vehicle.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Hmm... well I dunno man 22.5k for a car that looks like it was completely smashed is a bit much. What happened in that accident? The entire front clip was replaced? How come the color doesn't match ...

I mean I get that it's cheaper than a comparable 2013 I suppose, but you can get a 2011 for about the same money and those cars are identical in terms of powertrain/interior.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/4249863157.html

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Hmm... well I dunno man 22.5k for a car that looks like it was completely smashed is a bit much. What happened in that accident? The entire front clip was replaced? How come the color doesn't match ...

I mean I get that it's cheaper than a comparable 2013 I suppose, but you can get a 2011 for about the same money and those cars are identical in terms of powertrain/interior.

It's not though. The new RDX is all-new compared to the 2011. Leaps and bounds better. 22.5k for a car that was pushing $40k, that's a good deal. There's also an element of fun in rebuilding it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
It's not though. The new RDX is all-new compared to the 2011. Leaps and bounds better. 22.5k for a car that was pushing $40k, that's a good deal. There's also an element of fun in rebuilding it.

He didn't rebuild it... He just bought it from some shop in florida... I just realized they switched the turbo 2.3 to a 3.5V6 in the new one... hmm not a good apples to apples comparison then.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
He didn't rebuild it... He just bought it from some shop in florida... I just realized they switched the turbo 2.3 to a 3.5V6 in the new one... hmm not a good apples to apples comparison then.

Oh dang, I wasn't aware. I suck at reading threads sometimes.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
So this MDX was already repaired by someone else? What was the damage?

Man, presumably that person made a profit so he must have bought it for a song.

Good luck and jealous of your ability to deal with any issues that may arise in a rebuilt vehicle.

He was into it $20k, we talked about what was replaced and painted. He needed to free up the cash presumably, I was the only one interested in it. He was asking $24k.

The 2013 couldn't be further apart from the 2011/12's. Complete redesign, with a shift towards a more mainstream buyer.

We got it for cheap enough where I can deal with replacing things if they go bad. The inspection I had done at the acura dealer came out awesome, with all safety systems, electronics, and mechanicals checking out perfect. They did a pretty thorough job, I was happy enough with it to buy the car :)

I have pics of the accident, the front clip, and door skins were replaced on the right side. Frame was good, cooling was all replaced. He bought a donor car with a "cert of destruction" title, meaning its a parts-only car, with a perfect front end (damage was all rear). I verified the vin, so I know he used OEM parts to replace everything (verified by the acura dealer) . I did my homework, and it turned out great. The paint looks great in person, if you are really looking for it you might be able to tell the paint isn't 100% matching, but for the price we got I can live with it.

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
apr tune on dat acura?

Tune on a naturally aspirated engine? :laugh:

As an ex n/a acura (prefer to call it honda lol) owner, one of the best way to upgrade power equivalent to stage 1 in gti are the headers. Tunes on n/a isnt worth the money imo. I believe particularly for the 2.4 k20/24 vtec theres an ecu tune called hondata which only brings about 20 hp iirc

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Tune on a naturally aspirated engine? :laugh:

As an ex n/a acura (prefer to call it honda lol) owner, one of the best way to upgrade power equivalent to stage 1 in gti are the headers. Tunes on n/a isnt worth the money imo. I believe particularly for the 2.4 k20/24 vtec theres an ecu tune called hondata which only brings about 20 hp iirc

Right, and since its the wife's car, it will stay stock :thumbup:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
to the both of you..they have tunes for the r32...a naturally aspirated engine...:laugh:

Of course they do, but they don't give you the gains we are all used to from our boosted motors :)

Headers would open things up a lot, and an intake would help, but the RDX is somewhat of a luxury appliance. Its missing the "spark", but its a great appliance to ride in. Its gonna stay as stock as stock can be :thumbup:

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Of course they do, but they don't give you the gains we are all used to from our boosted motors :)

Headers would open things up a lot, and an intake would help, but the RDX is somewhat of a luxury appliance. Its missing the "spark", but its a great appliance to ride in. Its gonna stay as stock as stock can be :thumbup:

rdx turbo, blow off valve and intake would be nice :thumbsup:

wouldnt mind a cx7 turbo myself