GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by MonLand

1. M

Broken exhaust manifold bolt: ignore or fix?

Is there a good chance the exhaust is not leaking when the last stud/bolt is missing? I can’t see any carbon deposit that would show an exhaust leak (not sure if that would actually happen like that either). More background: - new-to-me engine not installed but “was running” according to...
  2. M

How much screwed am I?

2012 GTI with CBFA engine. Engine threw a rod a few months ago. I decided to get a CBFA replacement engine off eBay. I did the timing chains, cleaned up the intake ports (jeez.... much harder than expected! Invest in a walnut blasting equipment! don't waste your time with anything else!)...
  3. M

Engine replacement: do’s and don’t’s?

2012 autobahn GTI (CBFA engine). Engine threw a rod, block is cracked. Body has 120K miles. Got a used engine of the same type from a CC with roughly same mileage. What would you do to the engine before installing it? Dead engine was drinking oil like there is no tomorrow (which, I have...
  4. M

2012 GTI Engine replacement: What to do at the same time?

I am DIY'ing an engine replacement on my 2012 GTI w/DSC gearbox. While I've been DIY'ing everything for many year, replacing an engine will be a first for me. The replacement engine is similar mileage to the one that died (~120K miles). I'd like to know if there is a good pointer to: - What...
  5. M

Engine replacement source and do’s/dont’s?

2012 autobahn GTI (CBFA engine). Engine threw a rod, block is cracked. Body has 120K miles. Thinking about getting a < 120K mile engine. Where would you source and NOT source an engine from? What would you do to the engine before installing it? Dead engine was drinking oil like there is no...
  6. M

WTB: passenger A-pillar upper trim (Black)

The OE part number is 5K0867234CBR2. Can't seem to find it new anymore (the left side is ~$50 new) and the used one are chipped. Technically, I only need the plastic vent that I cracked on mine.....
  7. M

2012 GTI sudden all cylinder misfires?

Closing out this thread with a good news. After finding out that I had forgotten to secure the air pipe to intake manifold and it separated, I put it back together and the car kept bringing multiple misfires (all cylinders and a generic misfire). car would have engine start good for ~5s and...
  8. M

So…. I verified that, engine stopped, I have very good vacuum holding on the evap valve. however, I can blow into the gas tank without any issue. I thought the gas tank system would be pressurized? Is that because I can’t blow into it (with my lungs) enough to pressurize it?
  9. M

In term of symptom, beside the codes: - idle is not the best and jump quite a bit. Check engine light will light up and blink at idle (and disappear if you accelerate). - if you bring up rpm to 1500+ rpm, you can feel/hear some misfiring, but it’s not that obvious anymore.
  10. M

Today I discovered that I had not locked the bottom of the air intake so it opened up and must have caused issues since this means that the air intake being measured was incorrect…. i was hopeful and put everything back together. but, while this helped, this dis not fix the issue. i can’t...
  11. M

Nothing is silly! Today I removed and rejnstalled the gas cap. Seal looked fine. Let’s see if the evap code goes away. Emptied tank, put new/different gas in it and issue did not go away after running the engine for ~1-2 mins. So I’ll rule out the fuel issue for now.
  12. M

And this can lead to misfires, right?
  13. M

What’s the best way to test it? Undo, check that it is closed, then apply power and confirm it opens?
  14. M

Ok. So today I went back to basics: - new plugs (old one had a significant layer of carbon/soot on them; thought they had been replaced ~6-9 months ago with the coil pack…. Maybe not? Maybe due to misfire?) - emptied gas tank and refilled with new gas (could not get a hold of the gas...
  15. M

So….. looking at the combi valve area, I noticed that I might have forgotten to install (or tighten?) the top bolt. It appears that there is a bolt missing on there. Could that be the cause for the behavior I’m seeing? not quite sure what the impact is. That might be equivalent to a small...