GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. F

Replacing Original Tires on MK6 GTI

I still have the original tires on my 2013 GTI. They are now more than 10 years old and according to all advice I’ve read they should be replaced. I like keeping everything the same on my cars, for the most part. So I figure I’ll get the same brand and model of tires that were supplied with MK6...
  2. F

How to Know if Rims Will Fit My GTI

I've been looking around for a used set of aluminum rims for my 2013 GTI. (My preference would be to buy a set made by VW.) However, I don't know how to check if a given set of rims will fit on my GTI. What parameters do I need to check to be certain that a set of rims will fit on my GTI?
  3. F

Are VW Steel Rims Better Than Others

I'm shopping around for a set of steel rims to put winter tires on. Is there any reason to buy VAG branded steel rims? For example are they lighter or less likely to rust?
  4. F

Where to Get Air Conditioning Fixed?

My 2013 GTI, has a slow leak in the air conditioning system. It loses all the refrigerant after about 18 months. Three times I have brought it to a dealer to have it recharged. Each time they put fluorescent dye in the system to help locate where the leak is, but they have been unsuccessful in...
  5. F

Where to Clamp Negative Jumper Cable

Where do you connect the negative clamp on jumper cables on a MK6 GTI with a dead battery? It should be connected to a bare metal part attached to the engine, or the engine block itself. But there isn't any obvious place to connected it, as far as I can tell. FYI, the instructions in the...
  6. F

Looking for Scanned Canada Edition Owner's Manual

Does anyone know where to get scanned (e.g. PDF file) versions of the Canada Edition of VW owner's manuals? I have the USA edition for my car that I bought from DubManuals several years ago, but would like the Canada edition, since that is what my car is.
  7. F

Looking for Scanned Canada Edition Owner's Manual

Does anyone know where I can get a scanned (e.g. PDF file) version of the Canada Edition 2013 GTI owner's manual? I have the USA edition that I bought from DubManuals several years ago, but would like the Canada edition, since that is what my car is.
  8. F

When to Change Engine Coolant?

The Warranty and Maintenance manual for my 2013 GTI says absolutely nothing about when to change the engine coolant. However, the dealership where I take it for service says it should be changed every two years. Does anybody know when, if ever, the engine coolant needs to be changed?
  9. F

Any Advice on Winter Tires for a GTI?

I’m planning to get winter tires for my MKVI GTI and put them on separate rims. But I have a few questions on my mind: What size winter tires are best for use on a GTI? Any recommendations on what kind of rims I should get? Are VW steel rims worth the premium price? Any recommendations on...
  10. F

Attaching a File

What are the rules for file attachments to forum postings - file size, file types?
  11. F

Oil Dipstick Hashed Area

Does anyone know, how much oil is needed to change the engine oil level from the bottom to the top of the hashed area on the oil dipstick? The hashed area is the normal oil level range. I would like to measure my oil consumption more precisely and I am wondering if VW designed the dipstick to...
  12. F

Relatively High Oil Consumption

My 2013 GTI burns about 1 litre (1 quart) of oil every 5,000 km (3,000 mi). It has done this ever since I bought it with 18,000 km on it. Is this normal?
  13. F

Stutter During Idle

I have a 2013 GTI. Ever since I bought it at 18,000 km it has stuttered during idle. These stutters are not misfires, but feel like a partial ignition or pre-ignition. They also aren't bad enough to move the RPM needle, which stays steady at 750 RPM. Another factor is that it only happens when...
  14. F

Time-Dependant Maintenance Items

I have a 2013 GTI. In the maintenance manual it lists some service items as time-dependant. Most of the items I can see how they could be time-dependant. For example I can see how fluids can deteriorate over time even if the vehicle is sitting in storage. But some of them I don't understand. For...
  15. F

Rear Wiper Part Numbers?

The rear wiper blade on my 2013 GTI needs to be replaced. Does anyone know the VAG part number for the rubber blade refill only? Failing that do you know the part number for the entire wiper assembly?
  16. F

6 Speed M/T Shifts Poorly When Cold

Another issue I have with my 2013 GTI is with the transmission (6 speed manual). It seems that when the transmission oil is cold the shifts are 'clunky', like the synchros are not working properly. The shifts are only smooth when the transmission oil has warmed up, then it shifts quite well. In...
  17. F

A/C Recharge Every 2.5 Years?

When I bought my 2013 GTI in late 2015 the A/C wasn't working. I had it recharged a year later in late 2016. It worked fine in the summer of 2017 and 2018. By the summer of 2019 it wasn't working again, only about 2.5 years after it was recharged. I had it recharged again last week and the...
  18. F

Should I Get a New or Remanufactured A/C Compressor?

I have my 2013 GTI in for repairs and service at a dealer. I had them diagnose the faulty air conditioning system. Today the dealer emailed me to tell me that the a/c compressor is faulty and needs to be replaced. I have an option to either get a new or remanufactured compressor. Apparently...
  19. F

Window Smashed on My GTI - Questions About Alarm and Repairs

I have a 2013 mk6 GTI. Today it was vandalized. Somebody smashed the hatch window, but nothing was stolen. I have a couple questions about this for the forum: 1) Do the mk6 Golfs have an impact sensor for the anti-theft alarm? I’m trying to determine if my alarm sounded when the window was...
  20. F

PCV Valve Replacement - Seeking Advice

According to my local VW dealers the PCV valve is not covered under the powertrain warranty - it’s only under the new vehicle warranty (and the emissions control system defect warranty). So it’s no longer under warranty on my car. Therefore, instead of paying the dealer test it, I’ve decided...