GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. LightningRhod

Highest mileage cars on the forum?

Nice man! I'm right behind you at 211k. Bought back in 2010 and it's been tuned for the majority of its life.
  2. LightningRhod

LightningRhod's quest to 200k.....and beyond

Yeah it'll be interesting with this bottle of snake oil, I'll let you all know how it goes 🤞. My rear main seal has actually blown before, it was about 7 years ago. Got that replaced along with the PCV valve at the time. Timing chain cover was also replaced a couple of years ago due to leaks...
  3. LightningRhod

So I'm gonna try to mitigate my oil leaks with this oil additive I found at my local auto store. Figured I'd give it a shot and see if it helps. Not expecting miracles though :sneaky:
  4. LightningRhod

Calling All Tuned MK6's how many miles on it?

Yep still on the original chain. Only updated the tensioner, that was about 7 years ago.
  5. LightningRhod

My Mk6 is dead... Be sad with me.

Sorry to hear about the MK6, but glad you ended up where you wanted to be anyway in the MK8 👍 I also bought my MK6 new in 2010 and I'm still driving her at 210k miles and counting. Got the timing tensioner updated years ago after I heard a "bike chain" rattling sound when I started the car...
  6. LightningRhod

So just to post an update here on some of the work that has been done to the GTI recently: - Replaced broken front lip (Maxton Design) - Installed new side skirts (Maxton Design) - Replaced/upgraded radiator (CTS Turbo) - Replaced hood latch (was very sticky over the last few years, finally got...
  7. LightningRhod

Calling All Tuned MK6's how many miles on it?

So I'm at 210k miles and counting :cool: Bought her brand new back in 2010 and the car was APR Stage 2 for the majority of it's life until 2 years ago (flashed back to Stage 1 and removed downpipe to stay CARB legal. Got tired of "knowing a guy" to pass smog for me). Car was also getting...
  8. LightningRhod

Glad to see another OG member on here still running their GTI :cool:. I have the same issue as you, have to replace my coolant expansion tank due to leaks in it. On top of my leaky coolant expansion tank, I might have a leak in the lines as well. Found some puddles near the coolant lines that I...
  9. LightningRhod

I'm happy and glad to be the catalyst to your track day hobby :cool: . That's awesome to hear that you're now paying it forward and instructing new drivers. That's an eventual goal of mine, but I can live vicariously through you for the time being 😅 The cruise to Point Reyes was really fun. It...
  10. LightningRhod

Yeah of course I remember you :D. I got you and @Thumper to come out to the track with me. Thanks for posting these pics, brings me back to when the car was shiny and new! Nice to see that you still visit this forum (y)(y)
  11. LightningRhod

Future Plans: The recent incident with having no coolant and almost being stranded with my 8 month son in the car got me thinking it might be time to retire this car from daily driving duty. The car has held up pretty well over the last 13 years with all the road trips and track days under it's...
  12. LightningRhod

Pic of the rear with the rear spoiler, valance, and Neuspeed exhaust. Really happy with the look: And added this to commemorate the "Beyond 200k" event:
  13. LightningRhod

Haven't been around much on this forum lately (having two kids takes up all of your time 😅), but last year in May I finally hit 200k miles 👍👍 I'm now at 206k miles, and there's been a few things that needed to be repaired since I've last posted on here: Repairs: - Stock water pump finally...
  14. LightningRhod

Thumper's 2012 Stg 3 Golf R - The Defiant

Hahaha! I said the same thing in the beginning. "Just one track day, it's a bucket list thing". Then it turned into a hobby. No regrets :). Funny I just came back to Sonoma Raceway 2 months ago after a loooong hiatus from track days. Car is still running strong at 195k miles. I've decided to...
  15. LightningRhod

Thumper's 2012 Stg 3 Golf R - The Defiant

Nice to see you back in a GTI, Thumper! Glad to see that you're still tracking after our first outing at Sonoma.
  16. LightningRhod

This forum is almost dead

Despite having 188k miles on my car, I only drive it 3 miles a day now (round trip to train station). I still look forward to smashing the gas pedal everybody for that short stint though :)
  17. LightningRhod

VW Camper for rent in the Bay Area?

So my fiancee and I have an idea to use and old school VW Camper as a prop for our engagement photos coming up. Anybody know of a place that can do a one day rental in the Bay Area? Or do you know somebody that has a fully restored Camper that we can use? Just for reference, we're looking at...
  18. LightningRhod

Carbon cleaning @ 117k miles (yikes!)

I've been chasing down an intermittent CEL for the last 2-3 months. Codes were as follows: Codes: P300 - Random misfire P301 - Cylinder 1 misfire P302 - Cylinder 2 misfire Characteristics: Car would idle rough at cold start up. The misfires were audible through the exhaust rumble (audible...
  19. LightningRhod

Getting rid of my MK6 to buy an R32 (not the VW kind either)

Post pics man. I'm looking at doing the same thing through my co-worker who has hook ups in Japan (he lived there for several years and very knowledgeable about cars).