GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. socal87

D1S LED retrofit - who wants to be the guinea pig?

Looks like there's a bunch of LED replacements for our xenon bulbs; they're supposedly plug and play. While I don't see any from any "reputable" manufacturers like Morimoto yet, reviews seem generally good. I'm thinking about giving them a try when it's time for replacement.
  2. socal87

Weird overheating problem

I've had a couple water pumps replaced because they've leaked; I've also had radiator fans + ECM replaced when those burned out (water intrusion into ECM caused fans to run 100% constantly and eventually burned them out) I have a new issue. It's been really warm here in the Midwest but I...
  3. socal87

Starter interlock vs clutch stop?

So I'm on my 5th clutch for this car....long story. Tech who installed it recommended a clutch stop, and I like the idea as the engagement point is maybe halfway through the pedal throw. Problem is, the starter interlock is less than an inch off the floor. Has anyone found a way around this...
  4. socal87

Alternatives to OEM bixenons?

My right side headlight assembly just quit. Was flashing my headlights at some idiot driving 10mph in a thunderstorm, got one orange flash from the right side, and no more. Turn signal and LEDs still work, xenon doesn't; just tried it with a new bulb. Seeing how expensive OEM units are, is...
  5. socal87

The SouthBend clutch saga continues.

Been a while since I've posted, life is like that. I've been notoriously hard on clutches; those of you in the Seattle area have probably heard stories. Bought my car December 2011, went Stage 1 at about 5k miles. Bought a used APR turbo back exhaust and went Stage 2 at about 10k miles...
  6. socal87

How to run cable for rear camera?

I just upgraded from a Viofo A119S to the A129 Plus Duo, and I can't seem to find a decent guide for routing the rear cam cable. Has anyone done this?
  7. socal87

Difference between RNS-315 part numbers?

My RNS-315 is PN 1K0 035 274 B, according to VCDS. I've been planning on replacing it because of a persistent memory fault that keeps losing my Bluetooth pairings. I noticed that there's a few variants - B, C, D, E, J. Anyone know the difference? I'm probably just going to go with the same...
  8. socal87

How to get radio code?

The RNS-315 in my '12 GTI has some memory corruption and forgets my Bluetooth pairings every now and then. I'm considering replacing it with a used one. Is there a way to get the radio code without going to the dealer?
  9. socal87

Can I get a moment of silence?

#4 piston came apart, wrist pin might have seized.
  10. socal87

Fix car, or put money towards a new one?

I'm the original owner of my 2012 GTI. I now have over 173K miles on the car, and a LOT of money on both mods and repairs over the years. I've replaced 3 water pumps, 2 intakes, 3 clutches, 2 speed sensors, and the ECU. I got rear ended about 4 years ago. The paint is in rough shape, there's...
  11. socal87

Best options for a fresh(ish) motor?

I always told myself I'd run my car into the ground before I'd part ways with it, but I thought it would be a lot further down the road, so to speak. 2012 GTI, CBFA motor, 173k miles. APR Stage 2, Carbonio intake, SBC clutch. Intake manifold was replaced and intake valves cleaned about 17...
  12. socal87

KZS vs NFP transmission?

So I'm pretty sure I have a bad transmission shaft bearing (nasty squealing noise in 1st through 4th gears, like fingernails on chalkboard nasty) and I plan on picking up a used transmission from LKQ. I do know it's an 02Q gearbox ('12 GTI), I just don't know if it's code NFP or KZS. Does...
  13. socal87

DIY: Sunroof switch replacement

If your sunroof is randomly opening or tilting by itself, it's time to replace the switch. The contacts seem to wear out or bend over time, causing it to malfunction. If you're wondering, I would rate this as One Star, Extremely Easy. Like, if you aren't able to do this, you probably...
  14. socal87

Fixing it yourself is so much cheaper.

My '12 is getting long in the tooth...ticking up towards 150k miles. Had some electrical issues recently that I sorted out. This isn't a DIY, although if you want to know how I did the things, feel free to ask me how I did the things. Master window switch: Driver window wouldn't auto-up...
  15. socal87

Bluetooth losing pairings

2012 GTI with RNS-315 here. Every once in a while, it loses bluetooth pairings when the car is shut off. Has anyone had this problem? Is the Bluetooth module part of the head unit, or separate?
  16. socal87

Morimoto XB LED fog lights

So after years of running the deAutoLED 360 fogs in the stock housings, one of the chips went bad...and I got tired of oncoming traffic blinding me with their brights (LED bulbs in the stock reflector housings are obnoxiously bright)... I finally bit the bullet and got a set of the Morimoto XB...
  17. socal87

RNS315 bluetooth resetting

My Mk6 is about 7 years old now (built 10/11, MY'12). I have the Sunroof and Nav trim. Recently, my RNS315 has been losing Bluetooth pairings and resetting the Bluetooth PIN. Everything else seems to stay the same (Sirius presets, etc) Has anyone else had this problem, and have you been able...
  18. socal87

Hesitant start/stalling at idle

2012 GTI, CBFA, APR Stage 2. 96k miles, valves were cleaned a couple months ago, recently cleaned air filter too. No issues with power or running during the entire time I've had the car. Recently I've been driving less as I drive company vehicles at work, and my commute is only about 7...
  19. socal87

Who is this idiot?

Not sure if this was posted before... sBtE-SwEnM4 Can't even tell what he's mad about.
  20. socal87

Verizon vs TMobile vs Sprint?

I'm a Verizon customer going on 8 years. I have a grandfathered plan so I still have unlimited data; of course this means I can't very well upgrade unless I use an extra line. I take care of my phones and do most of my own tech support so hardware isn't really an issue. I am a heavy data and...