GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vacuum pump replacement

dschifle

I’m hoping for some help on an attempted DIY. I had an oil leak that became pretty noticeable and finally decided to replace the vacuum pump (as diagnosed by Berg Performance). I purchased the Pierburg aftermarket vacuum pump for the replacement and VW seal.

Install wasn’t too bad trying to follow the one video I could find online though not in English.

I messed up and didn’t completely tighten the nut on the hard fuel line going into the high pressure fuel pump on the front of the vacuum pump. When I tried to turn the car on, it wouldn’t start and spilled some fluid all over the floor of my garage. I thought it was oil (though now realize it was fuel) so I tightened the nut, topped up the oil and started the car. It struggled to stay running but after a couple starts and pressing the gas pedal, it stays running and now starts up a bit rough but is mostly normal. Then the CEL came on and repeats with a warning of Fuel Pressure Regulator 2 Performance. The new vacuum pump also seams to be pretty noisy.

Does anyone have any experience to share that may be helpful? Am I at risk even driving to a shop about 15 miles away?

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Check oil level to make sure it’s not overfilled now.

Disconnect the battery to reset the ecu, then try again.

Yea the vacuum pump is loud. Sounds like a small turbine engine.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Bummer, vac pump expensive. You could have just bought seals to fix 29 bux on Amazon. Sounds like you have vac leak. The hard line often cracks.

Last edited: