GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

zVp's 2012 VW GTI

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Anyone got any recommendations for fixing paint chips on a black car?

I got some rock chips on my fenders, surprisingly not many on my hood and... wtf, 2 rock chips on my passenger door (those are the worst ones).

Should I apply some paint from a paint pen then wetsand it or try something like Dr. Colorchip?

I'll post some pictures later tonight if I have some time.

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
Anyone got any recommendations for fixing paint chips on a black car?

I got some rock chips on my fenders, surprisingly not many on my hood and... wtf, 2 rock chips on my passenger door (those are the worst ones).

Should I apply some paint from a paint pen then wetsand it or try something like Dr. Colorchip?

I'll post some pictures later tonight if I have some time.

Mike the dealership sells a nice touch up pen that you can get fairly cheap. Get the right one and bring it by sometime.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Thanks!

I got the cherries instead of the tinted. I prefer the cherries, but most people like the tinteds :)

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Time to Service Interval Change

How-To
WARNING: I will not be held liable if anything occurs when attempting to change anything in the VCDS software. These instructions are created to the best of my knowledge and are as accurate as I can make them. Please be careful before you save your settings and always run Auto-Scan before any changes are attempted.

Load up VCDS, click on the Select button under Select Control Module

Click on the 17-Instruments button

Click on the Adaptation - 10 button

This window will pop up - expand the drop-down menu.

Click on the drop-down menu and select SIA - maximum value of time to service

Under New value, enter your time as in days.

NOTE: SIA - maximum value of time to service might be SID - maximum value of time to service depending on your car and/or version of VCDS

Last edited:

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Mileage to Service Interval Change

How-To
WARNING: I will not be held liable if anything occurs when attempting to change anything in the VCDS software. These instructions are created to the best of my knowledge and are as accurate as I can make them. Please be careful before you save your settings and always run Auto-Scan before any changes are attempted.

Click on the 17-Instruments button

Click on the Adaptation - 10 button

This window will pop up - expand the drop-down menu.

Click on the drop-down menu and select SIA - maximum value of distance to service

Under New value, enter your mileage as in km or miles.

NOTE: SIA - maximum value of time to distance might be SID - maximum value of time to distance depending on your car and/or version of VCDS

Last edited:

zVp

Go Kart Champion
LED Tail-lights Coding & Error Clearing
Thanks to ZIPN VW at http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4898893-LED-tail-Install-with-or-without-Rear-Fog.

How-To

Click on the 09-Cent. Elect. button

Click on the Coding - 07 button

Click on the Long Code Helper button

You will have to find out where byte 18 is as indicated by the arrows in the above image on the 1) line (with the yellow texts). Place your cursor on that area and change the two (2) digits to the respective and known codes listed below (please be careful!):

Xenons Headlights without Rear Fog
1F, 20, 55

Cars with LED DRLs - 21

Xenons Headlights with Rear Fog

Cars with LED DRLs - 04 (Golf R, 2012 GTIs, etc)

Halogen Headlights without Rear Fogs
1F

Halogen Headlights with Rear Fogs
22, 15

WARNING: SAVE your auto-scan before doing this. If you change any digits incorrectly, a whole bunch of errors/issues/etc. will occur. I will not be liable for you incorrectly coding your tail lights.

NOTE: Side-effects of coding may include hatch tails staying lit when open, side markers at low brightness, city lights as high brightness, etc. If this occurs, try another code. If none of the codes work for you in the list, please research or ask for help in the forums.

Press exit on the top left of the window.

This window will show up again. Press the Do It! button to save your work.

WARNING: Please review all your coding before saving your work.

Back to this window, press the Faults Code- 02 to start the process of clearing the bulb-out error on your dash.

This window will pop up and show you numerous errors regarding your tail-lights. Press the Clear Codes - 05 button.

Press the Yes button to clear the codes.

Once this is complete, the bulb-out error on your dash should disappear and no faults should be visible in the faults window. If there are any faults left, try another code and repeat these steps.

Last edited:

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
Got a chance to see this car in person today and I love the wheels. A slight drop will really pull it all together.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Man, those look good - it's perfect with that drop! I have to see them in person!

zVp

Go Kart Champion
All Lights Shut Off When Turning Off Vehicle
Thanks to Tim S for these instructions

How-To

Click on the 09-Cent. Elect. button

Click on the Coding - 07 button

Click on the Long Code Helper button

Click on Byte 15 and check mark Bit 5 - Parking Lights OFF with Terminal S OFF and Light Switch at Low Beam

All lights should be off when the key is out of the ignition, even if you have your light switch to the far right (everything on). The default setting would leave parking lights (front and back) on after taking key out of the ignition.

I guess this would save your battery in case you forgot to turn the light switch to off, but I am not 100% sure about this.

Last edited:

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I got some good news at my job today, so to celebrate I wanted to do a bit more to the car.

I was thinking of getting the APR Stage 1 ECU tune, or the APR front/rear sways since I already have the DG springs coming in...

Darn. Hard choice!

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
Yeah man, stg1 for sure. The sways will improve things slightly, but can wait. The tune will transform the car like you wouldn't believe. I just put my Borla cb on a few days ago, and with the xtra grunt that gave my stg1, I don't think I'll even bother with stg2 for quite a while.

The handling on our cars is extraordinary even in stock form. With the DG springs you'll get a small improvement on top, and unless you track the car, the sways really aren't necessary right away. Not as necessary as the tune anyways. That, of course, is just my opinion...