GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch slipping at 4.5k miles? APR stage 1

JammingJay

Ready to race!
Tough scenario, but it is definitely hit or miss. I'm at 10k, my buddy @ 20k both on Stage II, with neither of us slipping yet.

I have no illusions that its a matter of 'when' but I'd hope I can eek at 20-25k.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
Tough scenario, but it is definitely hit or miss. I'm at 10k, my buddy @ 20k both on Stage II, with neither of us slipping yet.

I have no illusions that its a matter of 'when' but I'd hope I can eek at 20-25k.

im at 40k, stage 2 APR, no slip :)

Dubscraper

What if I reflash back to stock take it tot he dealership and deny til I am blue that I had anything to do with my ECU ever being flashed? Anyone think I have a good chance at getting it replaced?

Will I be able to demonstrate to the technician that the clutch is slipping while in stock set-up or do you all think that that there's not enough power in stock set-up to make it slip?

SRT2GTI

Banned

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Issue is if you flash back to stock I highly doubt the clutch will even slip. Mine slipped bad in 3-6th when stage 2 but held perfectly fine on the stock tune.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
thats how you'd check for a slipping clutch.. it's putting alot of stress on the clutch when you floor it in low RPM's and a high gear.

and you couldn't be more wrong about the 500hp. no where near 500hp, hell not even rated at 300hp.. and stage 1 people have been hit or miss, where as more people stage 2 are having issues. some clutches you get lucky, others dont.

To clarify, the drivetrain as in tranny, engine, axles, etc is quite solid. 400hp+ no problem. The clutch however is pretty weak. The good news is that out of the possibilities, that's a pretty good weak point to have :)

Dubscraper

So it sounds like the consensus is that I got really unlucky with my car and I'm F 'ed in the A unless I want to fork over 1,000+ for an aftermarket clutch or go back to stock and get my refund for my APR tune?

I wish APR would list upgraded clutch on their website as recommended hardware to complement the reflash. Lame.

Shit.

Dubscraper

To clarify, the drivetrain as in tranny, engine, axles, etc is quite solid. 400hp+ no problem. The clutch however is pretty weak. The good news is that out of the possibilities, that's a pretty good weak point to have :)

Thanks for the clarification, :)

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
So it sounds like the consensus is that I got really unlucky with my car and I'm F 'ed in the A unless I want to fork over 1,000+ for an aftermarket clutch or go back to stock and get my refund for my APR tune?

I wish APR would list upgraded clutch on their website as recommended hardware to complement the reflash. Lame.

Shit.

Good luck with the refund.

As for the clutch, as everyone said, it's hit or miss. I'm stage 2 and mine slips a little now and again, but I know it's partly because of how I've abused the clutch. I'm used to cars with a lot more power, so I've been known to slip the clutch a little longer than needed at a higher RPM to get off of a stop quicker in this car.

Stage 1/2 flash + OEM clutch + driving style will determine how long until you need a clutch. If you read here before your tune you would have seen all the threads where the DSG guys like to brag about not needing a clutch. :laugh:

Last edited:

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I was tuned at 2000 miles in started having slipping issues. It's the nature of having more torque. Although I don't think you should be happing at stage 1 levels. It will not slip when stock

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion

true.. i prolly should have stated that in my answer. thanks for clearing that up!

on the other hand, OP i can almost guarantee you will NOT get a refund from APR. it's not their fault, and it's just a risk us enthusiasts take when putting more power into our cars... honestly your absolute best bet is to bring it to the dealer and see if they will do the clutch under warranty. IF NOT, either flash back to stock, or buy a new stage 2 clutch and have no more issues.

sucks to hear that it's slipping man. hopefully the dealer can throw a new OEM clutch in so you have some time to atleast save up for a new clutch.

Rcraig84

Ready to race!

Shit.

I know your bummed but why should they list an upgraded clutch? Anytime you add more power the clutch can become suspect. Fact is you got unlucky with a weak clutch. There's thousands of us on here with Stage 1 and 2 with no slipping problems. Try to go back to the dealership and see what they say. Good luck.

McQueen77

Banned
hmm. bummer. these stories scare me. im at 5k miles on stage 1 with 23k on the car and no slippage what so ever.. seems really hit and miss this problem. ive talked to guys with mk5s that have put 100k stage 1 and sometimes 2 on a stock clutch.

maybe the dealer will have mercy on you since you are only 5k miles. theyll see you are tuned though and may hassle you.. or they may repair it and send you on your way, and then unicorns will come falling from the sky