GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Second GTI First Build.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Updated the pics in the second post and am moving some photos back to keep things cleaner:

Last edited:

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Just ordered the Deka battery I have linked in my first post, I'll post pics when I get it and successfully relocate it to the trunk, or decide its not worth it and mount it in the stock location.

-Edit-

Have the battery placed in the trunk, waiting on the wire to arrive tomorrow so I can hopefully have a full DIY written up sometime next week.

Also just ordered the modshack low profile engine bay trim, first post updated.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Hm... worried that the battery may die on me one day and I live in an apt so I can't plug into a trickle charger. I do drive it pretty much everyday. May go a weekend without driving it though.

I would suggest SB Stage 2 Daily for everyday comforts. Checkout my clutch thread and listen to them.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Hm... worried that the battery may die on me one day and I live in an apt so I can't plug into a trickle charger. I do drive it pretty much everyday. May go a weekend without driving it though.

I would suggest SB Stage 2 Daily for everyday comforts. Checkout my clutch thread and listen to them.

Yea, I'm willing to test the battery to see if it will work, and I've looked at your clutch thread, great info, just haven't put in enough hours of researching to see what clutch I really want.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
So a while back I was bored and trying to change things with VCDS, and I found that you could adjust the brake assist from a stock value of 1 to a stronger setting of 2 or a weaker setting of 0. I set the value to 2 because I believed that to be the forum recommended setting. I'm still not sure whether people seem to like the stronger brake assist or not, but a few days ago I changed the setting to 0 and I love the difference. From what I can tell the adjustment actually changes the physical location of where the brakes start to engage in relation to the brake pedal travel. With a value of 2, the brakes started to engage almost immediately when depressing the brake pedal. With the value set at 0 there is a short amount of travel before the brakes start to engage. The reason I like the value set at 0 is because by having the brakes engage later, the overall pedal travel, from where they start to engage up until the pedal is fully depressed, is shorter. I feel like the brakes bite harder per input than they did with the brake assist value set to 2. I could be wrong, but I like the feel, and I would encourage anyone with VCDS to try it out and see what yall think.

georgy

Ready to race!
So a while back I was bored and trying to change things with VCDS, and I found that you could adjust the brake assist from a stock value of 1 to a stronger setting of 2 or a weaker setting of 0. I set the value to 2 because I believed that to be the forum recommended setting. I'm still not sure whether people seem to like the stronger brake assist or not, but a few days ago I changed the setting to 0 and I love the difference. From what I can tell the adjustment actually changes the physical location of where the brakes start to engage in relation to the brake pedal travel. With a value of 2, the brakes started to engage almost immediately when depressing the brake pedal. With the value set at 0 there is a short amount of travel before the brakes start to engage. The reason I like the value set at 0 is because by having the brakes engage later, the overall pedal travel, from where they start to engage up until the pedal is fully depressed, is shorter. I feel like the brakes bite harder per input than they did with the brake assist value set to 2. I could be wrong, but I like the feel, and I would encourage anyone with VCDS to try it out and see what yall think.

I recently changed my setting from 2 to 0 and I love the difference as well.

2 feels like there is someone always braking for you all the time...

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Ordered samples of gloss white aluminum, gloss anthracite, and gloss sterling silver vinyl to see what looks best. Looking to change up the interior look, and would like something with more of a gloss look, I'm hoping one of the three samples I got will complement UG well. Eventually I'd like to color match the trim but for about $30 I can switch up the vinyl, so I'm going that rout right now. I'll post pics of the samples for anyone interested in what they look like.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to making a custom bracket to hold the intake since the APR supplied bracket mounts to the battery tray and I wanted to pull the battery tray.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
So they're not perfect but I was tired of driving around without them on my car, and was starting to get ideas my friends strongly discouraged, like respraying them in fahrenheit orange (I still think it'd be pretty awesome, but it wouldn't match anything on my car). I'll post better pictures after I wash my car tomorrow, and it is daylight outside.

Just sanded the stock ones down a bit, I should have but didn't prime them, and then I gave about 4-5 solid coats of gloss black followed by 3-4 coats of clear. Wet sanded them down with 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper before polishing them by hand and a little bit with my rupes polisher. I didn't have a good way to hold them and machine polish them but they turned out okay I think. Worst case, I respray them later but for now I'm happy enough with them.

Last edited:

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to fabricating a tie down bracket for my battery. I wasn't worried about the battery moving the way I had it, but I want to be able to pass tech inspection at autocrosses that I want to finally get around to running(shortly before getting my GTI I moved back from SC and while I had a lot of friends in the SCR SCCA region to autocross with, I haven't managed to make it out to one in the GTI.), and for my first track day which I'm hoping will be sometime this year. Made this up out of some 3/32ths thick stainless rod I had lying around.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Your build is looking pretty good so far :thumbsup:

Thanks man, its getting there. After I get my clutch replaced with my tax return, I'm going to focus on finding and also coming up with mods that I think are awesome and worthwhile, but on a relatively tight budget. I've already got quite a few ideas, but we'll see what else I can come up with. I'm thinking all ideas worth doing for under ~$200.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
So I got the vinyl samples in; gloss anthracite (darkest), gloss sterling silver(middle), and gloss white aluminum(lightest). I took some pictures to see how they looked both as far as matching United Grey, and how they would look in my interior. I am currently leaning towards the darker gloss anthracite, but all opinions are welcome. I'm only really changing up the vinyl because it is cheap to do so, ~$30 for the vinyl, I would like the pieces to have a glossier finish, and I'm bored. Anyway, here are the pics of the samples:

Last edited: