GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Second GTI First Build.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
So I've finally managed to come up with a couple of clutch options that I think I like. I'm currently considering these options:

Southbend stage 3 drop in and wavetrac LSD: $1346 through ringer-racing and racing lifestyle group buy

HS Tuning clutch: $999 (comes with throw out bearing) through HS Tuning

Spec stage 2+ clutch kit: $999 through ECS (comes with throw out bearing and 16lb flywheel)

Clutchmasters fx350: $761 through ringer racing with coupon code.(If I can get a good deal on labor I will probably wind up with this clutch and the wavetrac: $1735)

Southbend stage 2 daily: $1088 through ringer racing (comes with throwout bearing and single mass flywheel.) Anyone know how heavy this flywheel is?

Sachs clutch and Loba flywheel: $1399 through emmanuele design (comes with 14.4lb flywheel)

Thoughts:I would really love to get an LSD and from what I've read, the wavetrac is the best design out there for our platform. I can get a quaife LSD for $50 cheaper through ECS but don't know much about these. I don't really want chatter, as I don't expect anyone really does, but I'm willing to live with some chatter if thats what it takes to afford an LSD. I would really like to stay under $2000 installed but absolutely no more than $2400, I guess I'll wait to hear back from shops. If you know of any shops that are reasonable and can be trusted to install a clutch and LSD without making a single mistake that are within 3-4 hours drive of Jacksonville, I'd love to hear about them. I also tried to go through ringer-racing where I could because everyone seems to think very highly of Mike, and his prices are very good, especially on the fx350 with the coupon code. If anyone know of a place I can get any of these clutches or a differential cheaper, please let me know.

Any and all input on which option I should choose and why is appreciated.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Update:

Still haven't decided on the vinyl color yet

I believe I'm going to go with the CM fx350, I didn't realize how many hours labour an LSD would be on top of the clutch job. APR quoted me 5hrs on clutch and 5 hrs for the LSD. I really wish I could talk myself into doing it because I really think itd be worth it, but I just can't right now.

I was planning to buy my clutch and pay install with my tax refund but I've reallocated a good bit of the refund so I don't think that's going to happen quite yet, but I'm hoping to do the clutch within a month regardless.

And part of the money I reallocated went towards a set of depo tails that I'm incredibly excited to get in the mail. I will definitely be getting some good pics once have these installed. They're dark cherry.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
So I've finally managed to come up with a couple of clutch options that I think I like. I'm currently considering these options:

Southbend stage 3 drop in and wavetrac LSD: $1346 through ringer-racing and racing lifestyle group buy

HS Tuning clutch: $999 (comes with throw out bearing) through HS Tuning

Spec stage 2+ clutch kit: $999 through ECS (comes with throw out bearing and 16lb flywheel)

Clutchmasters fx350: $761 through ringer racing with coupon code.(If I can get a good deal on labor I will probably wind up with this clutch and the wavetrac: $1735)

Southbend stage 2 daily: $1088 through ringer racing (comes with throwout bearing and single mass flywheel.) Anyone know how heavy this flywheel is?

Sachs clutch and Loba flywheel: $1399 through emmanuele design (comes with 14.4lb flywheel)

Thoughts:I would really love to get an LSD and from what I've read, the wavetrac is the best design out there for our platform. I can get a quaife LSD for $50 cheaper through ECS but don't know much about these. I don't really want chatter, as I don't expect anyone really does, but I'm willing to live with some chatter if thats what it takes to afford an LSD. I would really like to stay under $2000 installed but absolutely no more than $2400, I guess I'll wait to hear back from shops. If you know of any shops that are reasonable and can be trusted to install a clutch and LSD without making a single mistake that are within 3-4 hours drive of Jacksonville, I'd love to hear about them. I also tried to go through ringer-racing where I could because everyone seems to think very highly of Mike, and his prices are very good, especially on the fx350 with the coupon code. If anyone know of a place I can get any of these clutches or a differential cheaper, please let me know.

Any and all input on which option I should choose and why is appreciated.

i know the smf on fx350 is 11ibs lighter than oem dmf(idk if its the same for south bend stage 2) so you'll feel the difference as it'll be little quicker also much easier to drive. but one big downside is clutch chatter which lures me away from smf, it'll sound like a broken diesel from outside and make others think your car is breaking down

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
i know the smf on fx350 is 11ibs lighter than oem dmf(idk if its the same for south bend stage 2) so you'll feel the difference as it'll be little quicker also much easier to drive. but one big downside is clutch chatter which lures me away from smf, it'll sound like a broken diesel from outside and make others think your car is breaking down

I was under the impression that the fx350 didn't come with a flywheel, I assumed you would reuse the stock dmfw.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
And I just bought the Clutch Masters FX350 from ringer racing. I decided I couldn't afford the LSD, oh well, but I'm excited to get the clutch in and get it installed.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Well I guess I'll update the thread. Tail lights and clutch should be here monday, I just ordered a euro cupholder off of buychina, and I agreed to buy a set of charlestons off of a friend in about a month because they're about 4-5 lbs lighter a wheel, and I'm getting them cheaper than I could buy a set of the tires he has on them for. Still undecided on the vinyl wrap but I don't dislike any of the options I'm considering so for the $30 it costs to do it I think I'm going to go with my friends suggestion of the middle color, sterling silver metallic. Very excited to get the tail lights in and installed, I will definitely be washing my car and taking losta fotos once I get them on. I'll update the thread with pics soon hopefully. :thumbsup:

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
So I got my clutch in :thumbsup: now I just need to save up to get it installed :(

Oh well, still excited to have it.

And I got the LED tails in-

Obligatory half finished photo:

And the results:

Also I was talking to a friend and decided that I would put a feeler out for my Akrapovic exhaust to entertain the idea of running a custom center exit exhaust. We'll see what type of offers I get and what I wind up getting quoted for a custom center exit.

I'll update with more pics of my car once I wash it this week and I'll update when I get the euro cupholder in, and when I get the vinyl ordered and then installed.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
I've got DG springs on order, I kind of want to keep this rate of modding up all summer, but my bank account will be thanking me for not doing so. We'll see what happens. Still excited to get these springs installed hopefully late next week, and get the clutch installed hopefully next week too. Ordered the vinyl, so next week should be quite productive. Springs, clutch, vinyl, and the euro cup holder to install.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Update:

Well I went to install my DG springs on monday, and got all but the drivers front done. The nut holding the upper strut mount onto the shock was seized and I couldn't get it loose. I probably should've tried to get an impact gun to break it loose, but I instead made the decision to have some Bilstein B8s 2nd day air shipped in and will be finishing up my suspension install on saturday. I installed the euro cupholder and I'm working on finishing up the new vinyl wrap. I believe I'm going to hold off on installing my clutch until later this summer, simply because I start work for the summer next monday and I wont have time until I quit. I'll post pics of the install and of the results of everything.

ibanezgfx

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm loving the build man. Everything looks super clean!
Let us know how those springs are.. I'm thinking about those myself.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
I'm loving the build man. Everything looks super clean!
Let us know how those springs are.. I'm thinking about those myself.

Thanks man, yea, my focus is to make it as clean as possible.

I did get the DG springs and the Bilstein B8s installed. I actually lost one of the nuts holding the passenger side sway bar end link on, and so I pulled that end link until I can get a new nut.

Driving without the front sway bar attached is interesting, steering is noticeably lighter, and I'm a bit scared to push the car through the turns since I'm not used to running without an fsb.

My car was on jack stands from monday morning until thursday evening, and the sportiest thing I rode in over that time was a base A4, so I imagine even the stock suspension would have felt stiff to me. That and I can't tell how much of the difference is made up by the shocks and how much is from the springs.

In a straight line it feels quite a bit firmer, you can tell that the shocks are much better at dealing with bumps in the road. They actually ride smoother than the stock shocks as far as I'm concerned.

I've pushed it a little bit in the turns, and I'm very impressed. I've never owned a car with aftermarket suspension so its hard to really compare, but I'm going to post a write up on this thread once I push the car a bit more.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
my advice...get blue tint blind spot side mirrors and a convex broadway mirror for the inside. aim the side mirrors out so you only see the rear door handle. having the right mirror setup can make a huge difference in how you drive and change lanes. i barely have any blind spots with these mirrors. i would crash without em. lol.