GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yakima Gear

Gti-mrk6

Ready to race!
looks good man, I'm thinking I might get a rack soon. Can you tell me what rack this is exactly? thanks!!

timmsumm

Does look good. One quick question: Are the feet of the fairing resting on the sunroof? I have a Yakima roof rack and fairing from my last car and was thinking of getting the clips to fit my GTI.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Looks good. I've always liked Yakima products over Thule

rigti9

Ready to race!
nice dude! I have the same setup. I'm thinking of cutting those bars down because people keep hitting their heads on it when they get in the car. They're super easy for on/off, too, so you can take 'em off when you're cleanin up the car.

ps. do you notice any difference with your Q towers so far back? I called up Yakima to get all the spacing #'s and they say only 5" from the top of the windshield. Yours looks more like 10". Just wondering??

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
I might do the same with my old Yakima... Just need the clips & 3m for the roof so it doesn't leave a mark.

OTOH I still also have a Thule that I had on my BMW, but it would mean new Thule Towers & clips which is lots of $$$

Then again I have my FJ with a hitch mount for bikes as well and ARB roof rack that can carry even more bikes...

rigti9

Ready to race!
I might do the same with my old Yakima... Just need the clips & 3m for the roof so it doesn't leave a mark.

OTOH I still also have a Thule that I had on my BMW, but it would mean new Thule Towers & clips which is lots of $$$

Then again I have my FJ with a hitch mount for bikes as well and ARB roof rack that can carry even more bikes...

FJ for bikes/trips/etc... GTI for style and driving. If you're only takin one bike, throw down one seat and put it in the hatch. No need to risk hurting the car! Just my 2 cents. I only use my roof rack when my car is full and I can't fit the bike inside, or if I'm carrying more than one bike. Otherwise I leave it off.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
nice dude! I have the same setup. I'm thinking of cutting those bars down because people keep hitting their heads on it when they get in the car. They're super easy for on/off, too, so you can take 'em off when you're cleanin up the car.

ps. do you notice any difference with your Q towers so far back? I called up Yakima to get all the spacing #'s and they say only 5" from the top of the windshield. Yours looks more like 10". Just wondering??

yea if my rack had bars sticking out that far i would hack saw them for sure. the thule rack i have stated a specific distance from the windshield but it used the roof rack clamp holes which are filled with a little plastic plug on the front driver and passenger door frame to locate, so I just stuck them inline with them. Does the yakima feet not use this feature? i was pretty impressed that VW had self locating holes for the rack feet. i believe the 2 door models have them for the front and back roof bars; 4 door only has the front locating holes.

Biff

Ready to race!

Do you have a hitch in place? It's the best option for me in terms of practicality (basket attachment). I'm just not thrilled about the weight, and wonder how visible it will be.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
FJ for bikes/trips/etc... GTI for style and driving. If you're only takin one bike, throw down one seat and put it in the hatch. No need to risk hurting the car! Just my 2 cents. I only use my roof rack when my car is full and I can't fit the bike inside, or if I'm carrying more than one bike. Otherwise I leave it off.

I would usually use the FJ, but I have a Yakima and a Thule laying around that I used to use on my BMW... I can prolly get good $$$ for the Thule since it's fairly new with nice Rocky Mountain bike mounts... But the Yakima is pretty old with one nice fork mount and one older fork mount...so I don't think it would be worth selling... Still looks new cleaned up and any VW with a rack looks cool:)

I'd rather not carry a dirty mountain bike in the back seat either.

Do you have a hitch in place? It's the best option for me in terms of practicality (basket attachment). I'm just not thrilled about the weight, and wonder how visible it will be.

Yeah I have a hitch tray already that I use for my bikes on the FJ... Very visible too.

path

Ready to race!

dude, i could not disagree more. the last thing i want inside my car is a filthy bike!

FFAC

Ready to race!
Hey guys, sorry it has taken me so long to get back, I just got back from vacation! The bike rack worked great. The bike did not get as dirty as I thought it would. The first couple of times putting on/getting off the bike I was not very coordinated with it. But after 3 or 4 rides, I got to where it was second nature (my previous cars have had hitch racks, this is the first roof rack I have had).

GTI-mrk6: The bike rack I am using is the "Copperhead" bike rack. I haven't gotten the locks yet, I need to but I find 65 dollars pretty expensive for a set of locks (then again paying 65 dollars for locks is better than getting my bike stolen).

timmsumm: I do not have a sunroof, so I can't help you there, sorry.

rigti9: That was one thing I did notice about my crossbars, my head has proof to show where I kept hitting the crossbars, I finally learned and developed a maneuver to stop hitting my head while getting in the car. And I never realized how far back my towers were, but so far I haven't had any problems!

And just another observation, I had heard of people having scratch marks from the racks on top of their car. Luckily I did not have a problem..I did make sure to clean the area before I put the rack on.

Gti-mrk6

Ready to race!
thanks FFAC40!! I'm interested in getting a rack to carry my surfboard... maybe I'll get to see the rack in person next time there's a socal meet ;) I don't think I've seen you around SD, where do you regularly commute? I'm in Bonita (south SD) but I'm opening up a business in the Del mar area so I'm up and down the coast quite a bit...
anyways thanks again bud.

FFAC

Ready to race!
GTi-mrk6, I am normally driving all over the place with school, my internship, or my golf (I play on the golf team for usd, we practice in Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, but also in Chula Vista playing at San Diego CC). What type of business are you opening? And just as a heads up, there is a San Diego meet tonight: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6907

If you're interested in tonight's meet, I will bring the roof rack (I have the surf rack, too! The guy I bought it off of threw that in the deal even though I don't surf, haha, I guess I better start).

Let me know!