GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jeep guy --> GTI guy

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
dude you're 22 and getting married??

I'm the same age and i can't even imagine getting married for at least another 10 years unless i meet some girl that likes to religiously s my d and is successful.

As for the gti, GET IT!!! I don't think you'll regret it, you only live once, but make sure that all the numbers look right and you're not taking a loss you aren't expecting. honestly i love my gti and currently can't think of any other car that is the same price that i'd rather own....well maybe a lightly used infiniti g37s coupe but besides that haha i'm pretty damn satisfied with my gti. Also, if you know you like modding, you aren't going to be able to "lightly mod" the gti if your wallet allows for it. There are sooo many small mods to add to your gti that will slightly improve it and make you love the car more.

Here are a few MUST HAVES for a gti imo that are SO WORTH IT:

1) ECU Tune $500-$700 installed. Will unleash your engine's hidden power as well as take off the stupid governmental limiter so you can go faster than 130mph.
2) Upgraded Rear Sway Bar $150-250 (just get a neuspeed one with the group buy) This mod will improve your handling over 100%
3) Intake (just get a neuspeed pflo intake; great sound and performance and competitive cost.) Useful for letting your engine breathe better.

Welcome to the forum man, i hope you enjoy your time here and I hope you're driving a gti soon without your in laws bitching at you!!!

#fuckdahaterz

this, i just turned 23 a month ago, i need a gf soon like NOW!! :laugh: u live for yourself, u don't live for inlaws so choose what u like. ppl asked me do i fit in it (I'm 6'2), n they get surprised how roomy the car actually is compared to its size.
but at the end of the day idgaf what they say they can drive their cushy camry shit appliance thats made out of coke cans, while i have fun just simply commuting with this car.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Lmfao yeah dude, if I weren't in the military i don't think I'd be fiscally ready to do this. We've been together for 5 years, 7 months, and 13 days so it's long enough for me to know that she's the one so I'm happy. Plus she puts up with my car obsession even though right now she's being kind of a bitch along with her mother. I think she just expects me to regret selling the Jeep which honestly, I hate driving it everyday. I pulled the doors off today for only the second time ever and it's been the first time in a few months that I've really enjoyed it on the road/in town. And as far as modding goes, I'd want to lower it some, do a decent exhaust, probably get an intake of some brand, and then LEDs all throughout the interior and as much of the exterior as possible. Oh, and rims/tires. I hate the Detroit's and that's what I'd end up getting on a MK6. I just want to keep it fun and enjoyable as a DD. I don't need a shit load of power or anything lol Well...I say that now haha

Thanks for the welcome. I feel like me and you would get along well hahaha

Modification opinions. Hopefully this will help you in deciding on your mods.

As far as suspension/handling goes, I think this car is great with a good set of tires. Unless you're planning to do Auto x and/track the car a lot, you probably don't need to modify the suspension at all. Sometimes I want to lower mine a little bit, then I remember that my wife drives the car also and so it should stay stock height.

For performance you should at least do a stage 1 tune. All of these cars deserve it in my opinion. I've had a stage 2 before and I even have a downpipe that isn't installed at the moment, but I'm kind of leaning toward just leaving my car with the stage 1 and intake right now. I go back and forth honestly. Stage 1 and intake makes this car as fast as some and faster than other cars in its class. That being said I do think stage 2 (tune and downpipe) is in my humble opinion the modding "sweet spot" for the most power for your money. Intake is a good idea too. I'd recommend APRs carbonio. I have one and it works great. Not to out there for noise, but it will be more noticeable if you get a manual. I don't hear it as much with the DSG because it never loses boost between shifts. I can hear it when I left off the gas though, but all I'm hearing is the boost rercirculation. Its cool enough for me though and adds usable HP/TQ according to APRs dyno numbers.

LEDs are always a good idea. You can get a whole set for like $80-90 from deAutoKey.

As far as cosmetic mods might I suggest a set of LED tails? That improve the back side of this car 200%. OEM are around $500-$600, but reps (which I have) can usually be had for around $350.

If you want to save some money on rims, try to find a 2013+ GTI with the Laguna rims. They weigh much less than Detroit's (like 23.5lbs vs 28-29lbs for Detroit's). Then you don't have to spend a bunch of cash on new rims and tires. For reference I just bought a mint set of Lagunas for $775 and will be selling my MkV Huffs for around $400 total.

Hope this is helpful!

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Thanks for the tips and oh yeah I want LED tails haha we'll have to see about those. I have LEDs all over my Jeep, so you can be assured I want LEDs all in/over the GTI.

Reference the attached pic; Are these the Lagunas? If so, I love them and that's what I want on my MK6 but honestly I love the V701 or V709 rims so we'd have to see what happens.

Attachments

• MK6 I want.jpg
    MK6 I want.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 238

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Thanks for the tips and oh yeah I want LED tails haha we'll have to see about those. I have LEDs all over my Jeep, so you can be assured I want LEDs all in/over the GTI.

Reference the attached pic; Are these the Lagunas? If so, I love them and that's what I want on my MK6 but honestly I love the V701 or V709 rims so we'd have to see what happens.

Yeah those are Lagunas. I believe they are referred to as Watkins Glen also. They first came on the Edition 35 GTIs that I don't believe ever made it over here to the States.

Personally I like this picture better though...and I'm not going to apologize for it being such a big picture. Lol

Last edited:

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Mmmm that one on the far right can sit her bare ass on anything of mine any day haha and cool good to know what those are called. I want those on whatever MK6 I get. I really want the LED tails, those LED/DRL and HID Projector headlights and those rims but we'll see what I can get for under 20k lmao

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
The LED Drls are a little harder to get since they only came on the autobahn and then later on the Drivers Editions also. My point with the rims is don't turn down the car you want because it has Detroits. You can easily get a set of good condition Lagunas for under a grand and most good sets of Detroits should sell for at least $500-$600 or more.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Kenny G is here??
Shit, this place is getting famous

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
Alright so I looked at a manual 2013, sorta. Didn't get to look inside cause someone else had the keys cause another customer was looking at it and a MK5. It had the Lagunas but the passenger side had mad curb rash. I couldn't be seriously inquiring but I wanted to look at it in person for the first time. And fuckkkk I'm in love. I officially want one for reals now.

My friend who just came back from deployment a little over a week ago bought a nice 2011 Mustang GT 6 speed manual and after we talked about it, I am going to have to really consider an auto trans because my fiancee doesn't know how to drive stick and she's gonna be butt hurt enough that I'd trade my Jeep in for a lightly used car but she'd be even more pissed if it were a manual that she couldn't ever drive (until i taught her how). I know a manual would be way more fun but I need to be realistic with this purchase.

That is all.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
No shit.

Svtpony

Ready to race!
I've got 2 jeeps. 04 zj, and an xj. Both are lifted with 31s. Xj has lockers and a few things. Zj got some love too. Welcome. Check out the focus ST. I really like those. Due to limited availability, small tuning scene and some pretty steep prices I decided for the GTI. The fiesta is way too small for me. The focus is a nice car all around. I've got a 2013 I bought new last year, titanium model and loaded, and it gets 42+mpg. Not much on the power side though. I've got too many cars :/

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
The Focus' aren't cheap enough and I think their taillights are fugly. I can get a nice GTI for less than $18k-$19k with less than 30k-40k miles around here but they're all black and I don't like black. A pita to keep clean hahaha

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Focus expensive? You can get an ST for cheap, yo. Steep discounts. Ask anyone.

Svtpony

Ready to race!
Focus expensive? You can get an ST for cheap, yo. Steep discounts. Ask anyone.

Starting msrp only differs by $980. Problem I found was no dealer was going to move on the asking price. The cars were moving off the lot like crazy. I then looked for a CPO ST and again, price was steep and they weren't moving. I went and bought a CPO GTI instead. The gti in my opinion is not worth the $30k++ they were asking for the new ones I checked out. Although I'm really happy with this car, I've got to admit that focus drove like it was on rails, and can see more potential tuning.

Last edited:

Kenny-g

Ready to race!
I do not like the Focus STs at all. The taillights are ugly, the wheels are fugly, interior isn't attractive looking, gas mileage is so-so for the amount of power/torque, you can get better MPG in the GTI and similar HP/torque numbers (with an affordable tune) with a much better interior, exterior, amenities, etc. The only down size to the GTIs are the pricier parts but honestly, it's gonna take a while for a lot of FoST parts to be on the market so until then they're going to be pricey similar to the GTI parts prices so either way I'd be spending close to the same in the aftermarket department.

I like the look of the Fiesta STs but they're just too cramped inside and have a pretty large blind spot on both sides. The power is virtually the same as a GTIs and MPG is pretty good but they've only been around for a year or two now so it's gonna be pricey to mod them too. FiST's are cheaper than GTIs new but you really can't find any used (at least not in Texas really). So GTI wins again.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Starting msrp only differs by $980. Problem I found was no dealer was going to move on the asking price. The cars were moving off the lot like crazy. I then looked for a CPO ST and again, price was steep and they weren't moving. I went and bought a CPO GTI instead. The gti in my opinion is not worth the $30k++ they were asking for the new ones I checked out. Although I'm really happy with this car, I've got to admit that focus drove like it was on rails, and can see more potential tuning.

Then your dealers suck balls. Everywhere else you can get them in the low 20s. For the ST I mean.