GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Detailed Tuning Guide and Build Thread

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Nice thread man. Love the car. Wish I could get a DSG Golf R in the states... I would be on that right now!

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Nice thread man. Love the car. Wish I could get a DSG Golf R in the states... I would be on that right now!

Thank you man. Just read ur GTI's death :eek: good ur alright though

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
62.000km - Fondmetal 9RR Lightweight Wheels

Got an excellent deal on these 18 inch FONDMETAL 9RR lightweights straight from Italy. These guys are involved in motorsport including F1
Weight is just at 17.8lbs ;)
I did not get the chance to weigh the OEM Tallys but they felt noticeably heavier.

Offset is ET45 so there is enough clearance for the BBK without the 10mm spacers.

I must say I am really impressed; I did not expect lightweight wheels to make such a difference; acceleration is noticeably improved, much more than what I felt when upgrading to a lightweight pulley, so much that I can induce a bit of wheel spin on some first gear launches. The car also handles and brakes better...
I was doing it mainly for the looks, turns out as a true performance mod.

Sorry compressed pics...

Found out later that these are the same used by German tuner MTM for their Golf R MK7 for much more $$$ ;)

Last edited:

ides1056

Ready to race!
So all these upgrades and the car has been reliable? Amazing. Thanks for all your posts. I can only dream of doing this to my R.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
So all these upgrades and the car has been reliable? Amazing. Thanks for all your posts. I can only dream of doing this to my R.

Thx:)
Yes fortunately the car has been very reliable 'touch on wood'.
That's partly luck, but mostly because 1- it's been properly tuned, 2- impeccably maintained and 3- responsibly driven.

To give you an idea about the "properly tuned part", this is a pic (sorry for the quality) showing my timing retard on high load, low range rpm 3rd gear pull on the hottest day the car has ever seen (temp was exceptionally high at 39C - 102.2F and that was at night without the sun contributing, so air was really thin!!!!!!), that's hard to believe for stage2+:

Also when I install an upgrade I always log and monitor figures and if I don't like what I see I just remove it.

As to maintenance, these are my intervals :
Every 5,000Km - 3,107 miles: engine oil and oil filter replacement;
Every 10,000Km - 6,214 miles: fuel filter replacement, and air filter cleaning;
Every 20,000Km - 12,427 miles : cam follower replacement;
Every 30,000Km - 18,641 miles : DSG fluid and filter replacement;
Every 60,000Km - 37,282 miles: Haldex coupling oil change (done only once).

And I only use Motul 300V fully synthetic oil: 5W30 in winter and 5W40 in summer.

Last edited:

wolfstrice09

Ready to race!
Probably a stupid question already asked somewhere else.

What are the red lines on your speedo at 30 and 50 km/h for?

Driver Motorsport

Ready to race!
Thx:)
Yes fortunately the car has been very reliable 'touch on wood'.
That's partly luck, but mostly because 1- it's been properly tuned, 2- impeccably maintained and 3- responsibly driven.

To give you an idea about the "properly tuned part", this is a pic (sorry for the quality) showing my timing retard on high load, low range rpm 3rd gear pull on the hottest day the car has ever seen (temp was exceptionally high at 39C - 102.2F and that was at night without the sun contributing, so air was really thin!!!!!!), that's hard to believe for stage2+:

Also when I install an upgrade I always log and monitor figures and if I don't like what I see I just remove it.

As to maintenance, these are my intervals :
Every 5,000Km - 3,107 miles: engine oil and oil filter replacement;
Every 10,000Km - 6,214 miles: fuel filter replacement, and air filter cleaning;
Every 20,000Km - 12,427 miles : cam follower replacement;
Every 30,000Km - 18,641 miles : DSG fluid and filter replacement;
Every 60,000Km - 37,282 miles: Haldex coupling oil change (done only once).

And I only use Motul 300V fully synthetic oil: 5W30 in winter and 5W40 in summer.

Have to keep in mind that when IAT is high, such as 40-60* C, the Driver Motorsport 2+ calibration will remove timing advance. So a reason for zero CF is related to the fact that ECU is requesting less timing advance. We did spend quite a bit of time to make sure that this file can be driven anywhere and the OEM compensational tables will be just as accurate as it was with OEM software.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Have to keep in mind that when IAT is high, such as 40-60* C, the Driver Motorsport 2+ calibration will remove timing advance. So a reason for zero CF is related to the fact that ECU is requesting less timing advance. We did spend quite a bit of time to make sure that this file can be driven anywhere and the OEM compensational tables will be just as accurate as it was with OEM software.

It's facts like this, that make me think about WMI. Heat and humidity is bad where I am. Anyone in the southeastern/south central US knows what I'm talking about.