GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brunkel's Build Thread - '13 United Grey GTI

TRMK6GTI87

Your car is looking good! I wanted to know how you wash your engine? I don't want to mess anything up. My car is stock, no mods. I'm excited to see that exhaust go on and get a video clip! Lmk about washing the engine please.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Your car is looking good! I wanted to know how you wash your engine? I don't want to mess anything up. My car is stock, no mods. I'm excited to see that exhaust go on and get a video clip! Lmk about washing the engine please.

I know I'm getting so antsy looking at that exhaust each day. Working 12 hour days with 2 big freelance projects on top of that too right now :(

As for the engine bay...Cover alternator with foil and any open air filters, hose down with a light mist. Not a lot of pressure is key. I only go over the engine a few passes. Soak with APC. I apply it liberally...I want lots of suds and foam. Then I scrub the whole engine bay with a soft boars hair brush. I use a lug nut brush to get in the crannies. Then hose down again with same water pressure. Let air dry or I used a Sidekick Blaster. Then DRESS THOSE PLASTICS! That's what really makes it look clean in the end...Use a good product with a clean solid foam applicator. I like the black foam blocks that are pretty firm. *beer

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
So just as I was getting super pumped about all the things happening to my car....this happens:

The worst part is...I parked in the back of the parking lot...and STILL someone parked next to me, and as I was walking towards my car I noticed this other car was parked very close to mine. The owners of that car got to theirs right as I was getting to mine...they saw me and hurried up and drove off. They totally knew they had hit mine. :mad::mad::mad::mad0259:

I went in to Meijer to check security tapes and they couldn't even see my spot. Filed a claim with my insurance but it won't even be worth it. Deductible is $750 on my collision and even if they resprayed the bumper it should be less than that. I can actually buff most of it out besides the black scrapes right underneath the tail light (scuffs on the led tail too :mad:) and some road rash type marks lower on the bumper. Thankfully the rest of the scrapes should compound out.

Learn to drive people. Or should I say learn to park and not be an IDIIIOOOOOTTTT!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Ok a lot has happened in the past week!

I installed the HPA red lower motor mount. Getting the stock mount out wasn't too bad once I figured out that I didn't need to spend so much time on the rubber! I tried to cut that inner rubber part out and it was taking forever. I never actually was able to cut completely through it actually. The best way to remove that is to drill into the outer plastic ring and then start to pry it apart from the part you just drilled out. Work it out with some channel lock pliers and you're good to go!

New mount went in smoothly and looks good.

My reaction so far is that I really like this mod. The NVH is definitely noticeable right away. In fact, start up is the worst. The car jolts a lot more but at the same time it feels like it turns over really fast now :iono:
Idle isn't bad at all and reverse is smooth as butter for me. Where I really notice it is on starts or rolls in 1st and 2nd gear below 2,000 rpms. Definitely NVH there that wasn't there before. I'm told it will tone down after a few hundred miles. On the plus side, the shifts are very solid. It honestly feels like a suspension mod. Everything is just tighter. I really didn't notice a difference in normal day to day shifting, but I did notice that the slop was gone in down shifting and that shifting in higher rpms is WAY BETTER now. That is the biggest difference in my opinion. It definitely can handle more aggressive driving. I'll update on the 1st and 2nd gear NVH after a full tank of gas :thumbup:

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Unitronic Turbo-Back Exhaust Install Day!

Well...more like evening. My schedule is all out of whack with morning classes, evening rehearsals, meetings, trying to finish some new music arrangements...But, I wanted to take advantage of the Unitronic sale (which ends today!) so I scheduled my appointment for August 1st. Turbo-Back had to go on by Friday morning! Here was how Thursday looked:

8:00am - 8:45am Teach class
9:30am - 12:30pm Work on music arrangements
1:00pm - 4:00pm Exhuast work
5:00pm - 10:00pm Rehearsal
11:00pm - 5:00am Finish exhaust work

I probably spent 3 hours on the set up and flange bolts alone! I work super slow intentionally on all of my jobs if it is my first time doing that particular one. I start knowing nothing about cars, and take my time and learn along the way. Big shout out to my man Frank (Wetmoney) for always being "on call" whenever it comes to working on the GTI! I feel like I've come a long way from not knowing how to install a boost gauge to now doing my own suspension and exhaust. You rock!

Down pipe off!

I know have a new appreciation for PB blaster. That stuff is a life saver. I soaked those flange bolts and saw some scary stuff come off them haha. They were really bad and looked rusted to pieces but somehow stayed together. I worked on that upper bolt first closest to the engine. I used a 16mm socket on a universal joint, 12in extension, and big 3/8" socket. I had to use a breaker bar to snap it free first and I scared myself b/c it literally sounded like something snapped and/or exploded when it broke loose. All is good though!

So rest of install went smoothly and I learned that you have to have the catback assembled before you try and mount it or it will be really hard to fit the V clamps on the resonated section to the muffler with them hung on the car. So I had it all mounted up, but then needed to take the catback off and reinstall.

Thoughts on the Unitronic Turbo-Back Exhaust System
Now this isn't really a review b/c I can't compare it to anything. I've never modified exhaust on any of my vehicles and I've never ridden in or drove a GTI with aftermarket exhaust before. So, that being said, here is what stuck out to me. The welds and build quality is fantastic. Exactly what I would expect from Unitronic hardware. All of the pipe sections clamp together really snug and the fitment is pretty good.

Now, I don't have anything to compare it to, but the fitment wasn't perfect for me. I have yet to tweak things though. At first I thought my tips were 100% perfect without any adjustments! I noticed today though that the drivers side sides a bit lower than the passenger side. I'll have to see what I can adjust but without any tweaking they do sit perfectly left to right. I really like the way the various pegs are placed that go into the rubber mounts. They are all solid welds too.

The first start up was interesting to say the least...The exhaust sort of "bubbled" when the engine turned over...farted even haha...and then was pretty loud when the revs went up a bit and then settled at a nice "stock-like" idle. Now here's the interesting part...I started to notice smoke coming out from underneath the hood! I immediately turned the car off and opened the hood and a bunch of smoke blew out and it definitely smelled like something was burning! I had a minor freak out...but turns out it was just the excess PB Blaster that ended up on various parts burning off. I really had to douse those flange bolts so there was a lot on the turbo I bet. Relieved, it all eventually burned off and smelled wonderful...not.

The first drive (keep in mind I was not tuned at this point) I was really enjoying the exhaust sounds. Honestly, it didn't seem louder than stock and I was expecting more. I could definitely tell there were some new sounds coming from the rear of the car, but it was a nice warm, round tone. Nothing harsh or raspy. I didn't feel any power gains from the but dyno but than again just drove normally and didn't push it. The sound is very "refined" and very "euro." That's exactly what I was hoping for but also with a little bite and grit when you get on it...see my later post about stage II tune for that one!

I did notice some knocking from the catback though. Also some rattling sounds. I believe part of the catback is hitting my rear subframe and there's a wonderful "metal-on-metal" sound. It mainly happens in 1st or 2nd gear as I'm getting going and goes hand in hand with the NVH from the HPA motor mount. So, that part is annoying right now between the in-cabin NVH and then the exhaust knocking underneath the car. This is just from 1 day of driving and I haven't gotten under the car to even look or try and tweak so my guess is that this will be a solvable problem. After talking to a few people it seems that this is a common problem with most after-market exhaust systems?:iono:

I will get some pictures and hopefully some videos with fly-bys soon!

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Today was TUNE DAY!!!!! :happyanim::happyanim::happyanim::happyanim:

I was one of the few who decided not to go stage 1 right away, but rather spend a couple of years doing some cosmetic mods and various hardware bolt ons...and then going straight to stage 2! The anticipation was definitely worth it as I am thoroughly enjoying the new beast my car has become.

With all of my Unitronic hardware, I naturally gravitated towards the Uni tune. Plus, I heard it was more of an aggressive tune than APR (subtle differences probably). So, the closest Unitronic dealers where either in Chicago or Grand Rapids. I decided to go with German Auto Service in Grand Rapids as their labor was cheaper and I got some good recommendations for them. The shop was really nice and the people were great. Even walked away with some free uni swag: T-shirt, badge, license plate frame, stickers, etc.

Here's a few shots of getting flashed stage II!

*Sidenote...I did a waterless wash in the garage just before leaving for Grand Rapids with UWW+. Pretty happy with the gloss and it only took me about 20 minutes! I put some Hybrid V7 on the lagunas too :thumbsup:

My Impressions on Unitronic Stage 2 Software Tune
Much like my last post on the turbo-back exhaust I have nothing to compare it to as I have never ridden in or drove a GTI that was tuned by any company. I had high expectations after seeing so many people's reactions, but my expectations were met right away in the first drive...and exceeded later on in the evening with some fun back road driving :cool:

First of all, turbo, and exhaust are MUCH louder once tuned. And the DV whine noise is VERY noticeable. GFB DV+ will be my next mod for sure :D The power difference is night and day. It feels very aggressive when you get on it. If you're doing normal city driving you will not feel a difference, but man does this thing pull now. Power band is like literally from 3000k to redline. On the drive home from Michigan I clocked 21 psi on the boost gauge in 6th gear under full load. I probably won't do that again though b/c I really want to preserve my stock clutch for my stage 2 life. Seems pretty high for a stage 2 tune but I saw it clear as day on the gauge! 2nd and 3rd gear pulls are clocking in around 19 and 20psi so the 21 reading must have been correct.

The exhaust rattles I mentioned before seemed to increase after the tune. Maybe just b/c I was driving faster :) MPG is definitely better as well. I'm usually hitting 200 miles on a 1/2 tank but I'm about 1 tick above 1/2 full and around 230 miles...plus that's with spirited driving!

I put in the R8 coils to be safe. Oh! And this was random, but when I was doing my TBE install the other day I went to remove the intake and noticed that the T30 torx screw that holds the intake tube to the heat shield was GONE! Must have been the engine bay gnomes or something...

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Oh yeah...and I noticed this once I got home from Grand Rapids...

Only happens with the steering wheel. Not over bumps or stopping and starting. I did all of those installs recently but I don't see how anything I did could have affected anything else in a negative way? I was curious if it was normal for your car's springs to creak and moan when you jack your car up b/c mine did that a lot. I also had my car up higher an for a longer period than any time before so I'm wondering if that put any stress on something?

Jaber

Modero
My left tip also hangs a bit lower on the left.

Welcome to the club :thumbs up:

Jaber

Modero
Nope. Just interior rattle which I think are some stuff I put in spare tire area.

Jaber

Modero
As for intake tube bolt being gone. Happened to me too. I didn't tighten it fully. So I bought another one and put a bolt lol.

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Nope. Just interior rattle which I think are some stuff I put in spare tire area.

Hmm. Well I guess that's good so at least I know there's a way with this exhaust to get it to fit better! Maybe we can compare pics of the setup underneath for the cutback?

I have lots of rattles now between a rough winter, coil overs, and the Unibrace UB and HPA mount stiffening things up. Once I get the GFB DV+ I think I'll focus on getting rid of the random rattles.