GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speaker rattle

Ajm213

Passed Driver's Ed
My car has about 48k on it and every time I turn up the music a little with a bassy song my passenger side front speaker start to rattle. When I press against the little pocket/cubby it stops. Ive heard of the foam and you have to take off the whole door and I don't wanna do that. Any other ideas? If not then it looks like the foam!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
More than likely it's the foam. Removing the door panel/card isn't that hard. Just have to be careful of the panel clip fasteners.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Foam? What are we talking about here?

Taking the door card off is easy. There are three or four TX-20 (I believe, they may be 25s... or 15s...) bolts and a couple of plastic pins. After those are removed you just tug on the card from bottom up. The clips that hold the door onto the door frame pop right out. You will need a plastic prying device of some sort to take out the plastic panel piece, which covers the handle area, to expose two or three of the bolts.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Unless you're referring to the surround of the speaker as the 'foam', im not quite sure what you're talking about. I would take the door panel off and inspect the issue. As Johnny mentioned above, taking the door panel off can take all of 5 minutes the first time around. about 1 minute the 2nd time around.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Johnny Two Tone, the screws are T30.

Cheers.

There are TX-25s (or whatever the second size is) for the dash screws, though eg. removing the stereo.

Almost the entire interior can be removed with for tools: a TX-30, a TX-[whatever the second TX is], a nylon panel tool, and a triple square bit. I should know - I've done it ;)

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Cheers.

There are TX-25s (or whatever the second size is) for the dash screws, though eg. removing the stereo.

Almost the entire interior can be removed with for tools: a TX-30, a TX-[whatever the second TX is], a nylon panel tool, and a triple square bit. I should know - I've done it ;)

I meant to say......the door panels/cards screws are T30's. Along with a panel tool, I also use these little things I found online to remove trim pieces. Works like a charm and causes no damage either.

Brawn80

Ready to race!
VW GTI MK6 passenger side bass speaker rattle: http://youtu.be/2uhwDwZz8wI

Does it sound like this? I finally got annoyed with not being able to turn up the music with a bassy song and I took off my panel. Just to note,I don't normally have the bass up so high, this was just for demonstration purposes so I don't have to blast the music. This is only on the passenger side. Probably going to upgrade to the focal golf mk6 OEM fit speaker set.

Sent from my Moto X

///Audience

Ready to race!
What do you expect to happen when you have the low frequencies boosted so high?

valj

Ready to race!
Same problem here, but with the speaker on the driver's side. The only difference is that I have Eton speakers installed and both doors have been covered with sound dampening material :)

Brawn80

Ready to race!
What do you expect to happen when you have the low frequencies boosted so high?

I don't normally have it up that high, and the problem persists even with the eq set flat(but at a higher volume). The other speakers don't have a problem. The problem is most apparent when driving with windows down because I have to adjust volume higher to account for wind noise.

Now I'm just debating which should come first, jl slim box in the back and turn the bass off entirely with the component speakers. Or replace component speakers with the focal set and hold off on the jl box in the back. Also wouldn't it turn down the bass to the subwoofer if I did it through the head unit? (Thinking aloud)

Jl subwoofer installed - $1350
Focal direct replacement component set - $400 (installed by me)

Sent from my Moto X

Ajm213

Passed Driver's Ed
VW GTI MK6 passenger side bass speaker rattle: http://youtu.be/2uhwDwZz8wI

Does it sound like this? I finally got annoyed with not being able to turn up the music with a bassy song and I took off my panel. Just to note,I don't normally have the bass up so high, this was just for demonstration purposes so I don't have to blast the music. This is only on the passenger side. Probably going to upgrade to the focal golf mk6 OEM fit speaker set.

Sent from my Moto X

Yes that's exactly what it sounds like!! I just added some sound damp to it and it sounds great now. I'm probably going to do it to the rest of the speakers so non of them have a chance to rattle.

valj

Ready to race!
I finally got the issue fixed.

In order to fix this I removed the front door trim and did the following:
1) using an ordinary hair dryer I headed the speaker grill part of the door trim from the inside (especially the bottom part). Then using a t-shirt wrapped around my wrist in order not to burn myself I pushed the grill outward winning some space.
2) the plastic pistons which fix the door trim all slide into the door trim. If you look attentively they all slide in between specific gaps on the pistons. We'll there is an additional plastic gap on the piston. In other words you can slide in the pistons closest to the speaker grill in the way I described above lifting the door trim a millimeter above the door

Problem solved :)