GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake upgrade?

D3rk01

Ready to race!
I was wondering what is the best option to have a better braking system? I can't afford a BBK and was wondering what other options I had. I saw Adam's Rotors, which look nice and I guess add to the braking power? What's out there that's been done and won't make my wife mad? :confused:

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Steel braided brake lines, high temp
brake fluid, hawk HPS pads, or axxis ultimate pads, and eventually grippier tires.

You can change your rotors to slotted or cross drilled when your old rotors need replacement.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
R32 upgrade... pretty cost effective if you source the parts yourself.

I want to do the Cayenne upgrade.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I was wondering what is the best option to have a better braking system? I can't afford a BBK and was wondering what other options I had. I saw Adam's Rotors, which look nice and I guess add to the braking power? What's out there that's been done and won't make my wife mad? :confused:

Depends on what you are looking to use the car for. If all you do is drive on the street (no track days/auto-x) then simple upgrades will provide better brake feel and stopping power without breaking the bank. Adam's Rotors are a very high quality rotor but they will not change your brake's ability to stop.

Simple fixes that will improve brake feel and response are stainless steel lines (try USP Motorsport; their lines are excellent quality and a little cheaper) and better pads. Personally not a fan of Hawk street pads though many others seem to like them. Also a great choice for street use are EBC Redstuffs; lower dust and excellent stopping power.

Another great product that will take away the unpredictable bite and mushy feel of your brakes is the Tyrol Brake Stiffening Kit. This is an excellent kit that just firms up the pedal and allows your brakes to apply more even stopping power every time; I can't say enough good about it. I added this to my R and the difference was immediate; firmer pedal and less play or uncertainty in how the brakes will react.

If you are going to track your car upgrades to fluid and rotors would be useful as well; slotted rotors to keep your pads clean and improve initial bite, better fluid to raise boiling point and keep your brakes working longer. But if you aren't tracking it at all then I wouldn't worry about those for now; try the other items first and see how they feel, then add more if needed :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
Depends on what you are looking to use the car for. If all you do is drive on the street (no track days/auto-x) then simple upgrades will provide better brake feel and stopping power without breaking the bank. Adam's Rotors are a very high quality rotor but they will not change your brake's ability to stop.

Simple fixes that will improve brake feel and response are stainless steel lines (try USP Motorsport; their lines are excellent quality and a little cheaper) and better pads. Personally not a fan of Hawk street pads though many others seem to like them. Also a great choice for street use are EBC Redstuffs; lower dust and excellent stopping power.

Another great product that will take away the unpredictable bite and mushy feel of your brakes is the Tyrol Brake Stiffening Kit. This is an excellent kit that just firms up the pedal and allows your brakes to apply more even stopping power every time; I can't say enough good about it. I added this to my R and the difference was immediate; firmer pedal and less play or uncertainty in how the brakes will react.

If you are going to track your car upgrades to fluid and rotors would be useful as well; slotted rotors to keep your pads clean and improve initial bite, better fluid to raise boiling point and keep your brakes working longer. But if you aren't tracking it at all then I wouldn't worry about those for now; try the other items first and see how they feel, then add more if needed :thumbsup:

Thanks man, I'm looking into that Tyrol kit right now. Great post. :thumbsup:

D3rk01

Ready to race!

Yea, exactly what I am looking for! I simply want a more responsive and better brake. I might do some auto x. Not more than once or twice a year though. I will look into other things, but I guess as I run out of pads, rotors, etc.

How hard will that Tyrol kit be to install?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Do you have a part number for the EBC redstuff pads?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Braking/Pads/ Skim down the page and they have both fronts and rears for you :thumbsup:

Thanks! The tyrol kit is great, you'll love the new feel once you add it. Tyrolsport Tuning The product is listed as "for the MKV GTI" but once you get into the kit it lists compatibility for MKVI as well. ;)

Yea, exactly what I am looking for! I simply want a more responsive and better brake. I might do some auto x. Not more than once or twice a year though. I will look into other things, but I guess as I run out of pads, rotors, etc.

How hard will that Tyrol kit be to install?

If you plan just a couple Auto-X events a year I would suggest switching out to ATE Superblue fluid or Motul Racing fluid. Auto-X events are short so brake fade isn't a huge issue (as the GTI brake system is pretty solid already) but a better fluid will resist boiling better and protect you from loss of stopping power during events.

The Tyrol kit can be installed in under an hour; very simple to do :thumbsup: