GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Reassurance Please!

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
So do you have the car yet? I see you're coming from a tC. How was that transition??

I pick up the car in 2 - 4 weeks. I threw down $1k to hold on to it, and am waiting on a check in the mail which is going to be my down payment. Already approved for the loan for the remaining amount and everything is signed!

The transition... Even though I don't have the car yet, just imagine coming from a cheap plastic interior, unsupportive seats, an absolutely horrible and very notchy manual transmission, and a ride quality that has NEVER been smooth and even smooth pavement rattles your teeth out of your head (and there is technically nothing wrong with my suspension). From there going to a 2014 GTI Drivers Edition DSG 4-Door . .

Honestly, before test driving the GTI, other than the horrible clutch/transmission, I didn't see any problems with my car. But now . . . I just need to get this GTI in my driveway!

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
A tuned ecu won't have anything to do with a water pump. They are unrelated.

Common knowledge around her is that APR is pretty safe. Just like ANY mods though, there is some inherited risk that goes with it. The question is whether or not it's worth the minimal risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Don't be scurred. APR Stage 1 is safe. If cars had problems after stage 1, they were probably going to have problems anyway. I've been running stage 1 for the last 30k miles, no regrets. Can't wait to go stage 2.

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
Don't be scurred. APR Stage 1 is safe. If cars had problems after stage 1, they were probably going to have problems anyway. I've been running stage 1 for the last 30k miles, no regrets. Can't wait to go stage 2.

30k is awesome. I will definitely be doing Stage 1. Now I'm just trying to convince myself to do the DG springs on our wonderful RI roads...

Ganiman

Ready to race!
30k is awesome. I will definitely be doing Stage 1. Now I'm just trying to convince myself to do the DG springs on our wonderful RI roads...

I've been running ST coilovers for almost as long as the stage 1 tune, on RI roads, through the winter. I just learned where potholes are on my regular driving routes - like the two big craters in the left lane on 95 south after the Thurbers Ave curve (I might be able to avoid them eyes shut at this point).

Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge!

New England Dustoff is this Sunday - you should go and talk to people there. No better place to get convinced to go stage 1 (or worse!).

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Also consider this. This is the internet, where there's a huge bias towards the negative. In other words, someone who would never post has a bad experience and posts. It's like the evening news. You don't hear all the "nothing happened here today" news, just the "shit went down" news.

Notice that even with this bias there is really no posts about my car blew up from a stage 1 tune posts? It's always a "I was trying to save money and went to a shady tuner and they didn't seal my ecu right" problem.

All the advice above is good. Get a good tuner to crack the ecu. Get the tune. Keep a few grand in escrow in case you get unlucky. Make friends with SA at dealership. Tell them not to plug the car in without talking to you first. Be honest.

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!
I've been running ST coilovers for almost as long as the stage 1 tune, on RI roads, through the winter. I just learned where potholes are on my regular driving routes - like the two big craters in the left lane on 95 south after the Thurbers Ave curve (I might be able to avoid them eyes shut at this point).

Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge!

New England Dustoff is this Sunday - you should go and talk to people there. No better place to get convinced to go stage 1 (or worse!).

Somehow I hit that first crater 50% of the time on the way to work every morning, but I've been getting better!

Have you seen the East Side lately? It is all one massive crater . . . But I'm pretty good at dodging everything and I don't care if I go 15mph over every little bump. The world can wait behind me (honking their horns) until Providence decides to get its act together.

And I will be at Dustoff this weekend for a couple of hours! I plan to get there at 10 and leave at around 12:30 for some Five Guys.

Aries Pope, you make some good points and I really can't wait to pick up my car and make the appointment to get Stage 1!

ducatiti

Ready to race!
I was quoted for $599 with all four programs and $150 for labor.

Labor price sound pretty much fair?

boosted135

Ready to race!
Water pump failure isnt caused by the tune, unless the dealer did the ecu install incorrectly the worst is to replace the clutch, which is kinda good but bad financially, as the stock clutch is light for this kind of car. Coilpacks are more of stage 2, but its possible for stage 1 as well.

Increased boost results in increased engine temps which, in turn, calls for the water pump to work harder. Not saying it's directly caused by the tune but it definitely plays a role in an already weak design failing prematurely.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Where in Cali are you, what shop quoted you, and for what tune?

An APR tune for the GTI should be on sale for $499 right now.

I'm located in the Bay Area and 034Motorsports quoted me. $549 for one program and $599 for four plus labor. They can do it in two hours while I wait.

So $499 is the current rate for how many programs?

And $150 for labor sound about right?

Jaber

Modero
Where in Cali are you, what shop quoted you, and for what tune?

An APR tune for the GTI should be on sale for $499 right now.

Last time I checked, their sale for all programs is $599 :iono: typo on your end?

I'm located in the Bay Area and 034Motorsports quoted me. $549 for one program and $599 for four plus labor. They can do it in two hours while I wait.

$150 for labor sounds decent. 2hr at most. Most dealers are north of $200 for labor, around here. While performance shops are around $150-$200.

CyrexNZ

Ready to race!

GoApr states that it is $599 for all four programs (stock, 91, 93, valet), and a reputable shop by me is doing installs for free!!! Because of this, I'll have them do my springs seeing as I don't feel like dealing with the headache.

DowneyTDI

Ready to race!
Last time I checked, their sale for all programs is $599 :iono: typo on your end?

My bad, It is $599 for a fully loaded tune. I think it's funny that some shops charge labor and some don't. We have a reputable shop down here (Socal) that doesn't charge for labor and another repuatable shop that does. The one that doesn't charge labor doesn't do APR though. At the end of the day I wouldn't mind spending a little extra in labor for the peace of mind of getting an APR tune from a reputable shop.

Last edited:

tmacmact

Passed Driver's Ed
Your coil pack lifespan may be reduced, although it seems people only start seeing misfire problems during "stage 2". Myself included. Other than that i've had no problems with the tune itself.