GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I always laugh when people say something to the effect of "man, its freezing outside!" or "Man, its freezing up north right now in Minnesota!"

It's much, much worse. Like 50 degrees worse.

Blurry pic from this mornings commute. -19 F. Well at least I dont live in Canada.

EMaster24

Ready to race!
Thanks mate, glad people find this stuff as interesting as I do.

This spring will be awesome for my car. I am definitely getting it tuned, and hopefully will be getting some summer tires. We'll see where the stockers are at, but ideally I will be going to summers on the stock wheels and getting some 17's for winter with snows. I may be doing some suspension stuff too, time will tell. Now that my wife is setup with a new car, I think there is some leniency for some gti mods in the budget!

The reason I am waiting until spring is because with just fwd, my car can't get crap for traction right now up in this frozen tundra at stock power levels. Even Stage 1 would literally be useless for the next 4 months, especially with the stock tires. So I will quietly bide my time until we thaw out up here. I may stick with the stock all seasons and get snows next winter, then summer rubber after that, but again it depends on what conditions my stockers are in until then. I will have more than 35k on them before the spring thaw, so I may be able to justify summer rubber this year... it will just make the car that much better!

I think I will start with just stage 1. I wanted to do a down pipe, but I kinda want to ride out the mods a bit. I will probably have this car for at least the next 2 years, so I have plenty of time to enjoy mods slowly. After this car, I am done with fwd. I am thinking s3 right now, but I will have kids by then, so things may change!

Yep I have a set of 17s with snow tires that I run in the winter. I also want to put summer tires on but couldn't justify it until the stock all seasons are shot. probably one more summer of those..... or if i'm really hard on them, maybe halfway through the season :thumbup:

I just flipped my car back to stock mode a few weeks ago. was tired of not being able to ever go full throttle on my commute... it seems happier when it gets to use the full powerband every once in a while. once it warms up... i'm sure i'l flip back.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I am getting close to coughing up for a tune now. I am trying to decide whether to go straight to stage 2 or just start with stage 1.. I really want to get better tires too, the stockers blow.

My dilemma with stage 1 vs 2 is whether or not I will be f'ing anything up long term reliability-wise with messing with the downpipe/exhaust. If I had access to a lift, I wouldn't care in the least bit. I don't really want to deal with o2 sensor headaches as well, but the thought of a downpipe job sounds pretty fun actually.. I could go the budget-plac method as well and gut my stock downpipe for "free"

Anyone have any opinions? Is stage 2 worth the hassle? Does it make the car less fun out of the hole/around town? I mostly do freeway driving, but if the stage 2 gains are primarily for 60mph and above, I don't know if it will be super useful for me (I mainly use the GTI to commute to work at 75mph, 35 miles one way, with a bit of stop and go).

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I am getting close to coughing up for a tune now. I am trying to decide whether to go straight to stage 2 or just start with stage 1.. I really want to get better tires too, the stockers blow.

My dilemma with stage 1 vs 2 is whether or not I will be f'ing anything up long term reliability-wise with messing with the downpipe/exhaust. If I had access to a lift, I wouldn't care in the least bit. I don't really want to deal with o2 sensor headaches as well, but the thought of a downpipe job sounds pretty fun actually.. I could go the budget-plac method as well and gut my stock downpipe for "free"

Anyone have any opinions? Is stage 2 worth the hassle? Does it make the car less fun out of the hole/around town? I mostly do freeway driving, but if the stage 2 gains are primarily for 60mph and above, I don't know if it will be super useful for me (I mainly use the GTI to commute to work at 75mph, 35 miles one way, with a bit of stop and go).

Living in a state with scrict emmisions laws, stage 2 isnt worth (until i find solution). İm going with stage 1,better tires (michelin as3s), fmic n eventually lighter wheels route, rest is handling.

afctom

Ready to race!
Incredible. Enjoyed reading that a lot, the best journal on here. I wish I had the know how to even attempt something like this!!

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
How long are you going to have the car? Seems to me like it'll be a while. Go stage 1, enjoy it for a while. Play with handling upgrades like springs or sways to make your summer driving more fun (after you get summ rubber of course). Then go stage 2 next spring. Enjoying the incremental upgrades is part of the fun in modding:D

This is what has been in the back of my mind the whole winter - I plan on keeping this car for a long time, so keeping the mod bug at bay by going slow is probably the right path.

On a side note, i am picking up a set of vw Charleston rims tomorrow morning off of a guy on Craigslist with hankook icebear winter tires for... Get this... $350. $350!! For 18" OEM alloys and snow tires that have 9/32" left on them... Even though they are 18's and won't make the best possible snow tire combination, for $350 I couldn't care less, especially because I don't have to buy winters since they are already mounted. Here is a pic from his Craig's list add:

I don't think he knows what he has. Freaking score!! They came on the Fahrenheit GTI/gli models and the jetta tdi cup edition in 2007 and 2008. I am pumped!

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
This is what has been in the back of my mind the whole winter - I plan on keeping this car for a long time, so keeping the mod bug at bay by going slow is probably the right path.

On a side note, i am picking up a set of vw Charleston rims tomorrow morning off of a guy on Craigslist with hankook icebear winter tires for... Get this... $350. $350!! For 18" OEM alloys and snow tires that have 9/32" left on them... Even though they are 18's and won't make the best possible snow tire combination, for $350 I couldn't care less, especially because I don't have to buy winters since they are already mounted. Here is a pic from his Craig's list add:

I don't think he knows what he has. Freaking score!! They came on the Fahrenheit GTI/gli models and the jetta tdi cup edition in 2007 and 2008. I am pumped!

FREE RAMZ! :w00t:

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
Nice RAMZ! :thumbup:

It's good to see an update here; this is one of my favorite threads. How has the GTI been so far?