GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Spark Plugs 20K

mark986

Ready to race!
I hate to make another thread on the dreaded "spark plugs" but I thought I'd share what mine looked like after 20K to allow people gauge when there's should be done (early vs later).

Forgot to upload these back when they were changed. You can guess which are the old. I measured the gap on the old ones and were a TIGHT fit at 0.032". In reality, they are probably just a hair smaller. The new ones were a perfect fit at 0.028".

crew219

Banned
Which plugs did you end up using? First time I've seen an NGK branded ceramic insulator like that.

Dave

mark986

Ready to race!
I use the PFR7S8EG gapped at 0.028". Double platinum plugs.

MKVI_noizsky

Ready to race!
Nice. Any difference at 0.028 gapped?

mark986

Ready to race!
Nice. Any difference at 0.028 gapped?

I would say there was a slight difference in response maybe. I never really had any issues like misfires or anything so this may be psychological.

P

plac

those old plugs are a perfect tan. probably didnt even need to be changed.

mark986

Ready to race!
I know they probably didn't need to be but half the stuff people change don't need to be changed as early as they do. Plus, had them laying around and wanted to give them a go with my K04.

P

plac

I know they probably didn't need to be but half the stuff people change don't need to be changed as early as they do. Plus, had them laying around and wanted to give them a go with my K04.

hell ill prob change mine at 10k miles.. oh wait.. i have like 12k miles on it now.. better order some.

mark986

Ready to race!
Kind of OT but I've never had a car where I did more than change the oil. How labor intensive is it to change the plugs on these engines?

What tools are needed?

Not labor intensive at all. Grambles has a DIY on here as well. Only tool you may not have is a torque wrench. But not everyone uses one.

mark986

Ready to race!
hell ill prob change mine at 10k miles.. oh wait.. i have like 12k miles on it now.. better order some.

Might as well throw a new downpipe on there while you're at it =) oh behave Plac lol.

MKVI_noizsky

Ready to race!
Regapped plugs to 0.028 response is better now! Thanks

mrlapou

Ready to race!
After 40k miles from new, today changed the original Bosch factory fit plugs for Denso Platimum.

Old ones looked ok and gaps were around 0.030 to 0.031".

Perhaps they did not need changing, but I'd hate for them to seize up in the threaded hole as I've had on some diesel car glow plugs..