GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE catback vs stock non-resonated catback.

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
AWE catback vs Stock non-resonated catback.

Warning!!! This post is my personal post where I state my opinions
which are not backed up by any data neither prove, just simply my
experience and my thoughts/opinions on the subject discussed below.

Today, around 1pm, I discovered the whole new meaning to my exhaust system. Yeesssss.. as you all guessed it was the AWE Catback exhaust that made it all happen!!!

AWE 2.5' Catback exhaust.

I went from a catless 3' downpipe and mid pipe into 2.5' stock non-resonated catback to a 2.5' AWE Catback exhaust and let me just tell you that it was a very big difference in sound.

Stock non-resonated catback.

Stock non-resonated catback wasnt bad, it was quiet at idle till about 3000rpm then as the catless downpipe would rush the air through it at full throttle, the sound would get very loud and high pitch. There was some drone from 3000rpm and up but it wasnt too crazy. At cruising speed of 80mph the car sounded stock but as soon as i would get on it, it would get very loud. I was very happy with my catless downpipe and non-resonated catback but got many mixed opinions from friends and family. Some people really liked it since it was very loud when getting on it and simply sounded like a car with no exhaust (mostly younger crowds that liked it) BUT others did not like it at all, was even called a ricer ones................ Anyone that was older and had nice cars simply didnt like it and said that it sounded UNCIVILIZED.

The setup offered performance and sound without spending big bucks but things were about to change...

After the install of the AWE CBE i took my GTI for a little ride and here is what i discovered.

At idle the car sounds deeper and very noticeable that the exhaust is not stock. When driving, the note of the exhaust sounded amazing and much louder than what i had before. From 1800rpm up to 3000rpm it sounds amazing and backfires as well as gurgles a little. At full throttle it kinda goes from loud (1800rpm-3000rmp) to a little quieter (3100rpm-4500rpm) then gets loud again (4500rpm-6000rpm) and in between shifts its loud as well. There is some drone at about 2000rpm but mostly when slowing down but nothing massive. (i dont care about rattles much)
I was very surprised how beautifully it sounded. The car actually felt more responsive as well as the balanced sound was in place. Writing this makes me want to go drive it right now and simply listen to it make music :p

On a scale from 1 - 10 in loudness.
All stock get a 3
3' catless downpipe with a stock catbak gets a 4.5
3' catless downpipe with non resonated catback gets a 6.8 (at high rpm only)
3' catless downpipe with AWE CBE gets a 6
APR Turboback gets a 8 (would so get it if i had the money, sounds amazing)
Straight piped gets a 10

^ i was able to hear all of them!

So heres what i think, for those of you who are looking for a decent sound thats very civil and not track loud i recommend AWE catback but if you truly enjoy loud exhausts, this is not for you.

Special thank you goes out to 2010GTI4me for selling me his catback and for installing it!

BTW I DO NOT HAVE ANY VIDEOS DUE TO NOT HAVING A DECENT CAMERA AND THE ONE THAT I DO HAVE MAKES THE EXHAUST SOUND COMPLETELY OPPOSITE FROM ITS NOTE/SOUND.... SORRY

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
nice write up. can tell you're really excited lol.

oh and obvious point: SOUND CLIPS NAO!

i have some from my crappy ass camera but i dont want to post them since it doesnt sound the same. So anyone in central/north jersey with a good sound/video camera is more than welcomed to make some sound clips!

Emillionaire90

Ready to race!
Looks really good dude... congrats on your new exhaust!

MichaelLegaspi

Ready to race!
Looks good, I'm planning to do something like this when I get my downpipe. I can't fathom spending 800 $ for the AWE downpipe, though I love my AWE catback's sound.

I can see what people mean about it sounding uncivilized, when you hear raspy exhaust notes you think of little econo 4 bangers with fart can exhausts.

As much as I like super loud exhausts (like my friends 05 WRX straight pipes) I don't want to feel like I'm annoying the crap out of everyone.

A lot of people take it like your challenging them with loud exhausts even though your not even driving fast, which can get annoying sometimes too.

The great thing about the AWE exhausts is that they are a nice low rumble at slower RPM's but sound awesome when you get on it. Hopefully we can hear how it sounds someday.

Good lookin exhaust :thumbsup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
In for vids

Chainspike

Ready to race!
Can you post a pic of the stock down pipe from the turbo? Curious to see what it looks like

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
Have you heard of someone Getting the AWE CBE and then giving it a custom resonator delete . I'm stage 1 with AWE CBE and I just think it's too quiet for me . Especially I'm DSG and this catback made my DSG farts almost completely go away unless I got WOT :(