GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wind noise, door rattles and B-Pillar ticking all gone!

McQueen77

Banned
I have read a lot of threads on this topic and this seems common enough of a problem that the resolution to my specific problem warranted it's own thread. Like a few other posters on this board who had similar issues (who have been very helpful), the purpose of the post is to assure people having problems with wind noise coming from passenger door seals, door rattles, misc. rattles and B-Pillar creaking and ticking, that there is a potential fix if you are persistent and your car's mileage is low enough that all of this is covered under warranty.

Brought the car back in on Monday to VW Pasadena so that they could have a second crack at fixing these problems. The first time I brought it in, the striker plate adjustment actually seemed to make the problem(s) worse. The service manager, Norm, was prompt and helpful and got me into a loaner/rental Monday afternoon. The car was a total bummer: Chevy Malibu, just a massive bummer of a car. After a quick road test with a tech they said they would pressurize the cabin and use a mic and headset to isolate the area the noise was coming from etc. I also explained the door rattles and the guy told me that this is a common problem in that the models come new from the factory 'under-greased' and that its common for them at the 10k miles service to re-lube and grease all the latches, seals etc. due to similar complaints. He noticed the lithium grease that I had applied and said he was going to clean that off and apply their factory silicone grease (Krytox I believe - about $30 p/tube) etc. Drove the piece of crap Malibu around for 4 days and then got the GTI back today. Everything was fixed and it felt inside, for the first time, like a new car. This is basically what the report says that I got back:
----------------------------------------------------------
- Right door seals have internal fault - 57631900 - Front door seal remove and reinstall - 65 War
1 5k3-837-432-B-5Ap Channel
1 5k3-867-911-A-9B9 Door Seal
64451950 Front Door Window Guide Remove and Reinstall
57301960 Door Assembly Carrier Remove and Reinstall
70591900 Front Door Trim Panel Remove and Reinstall

Found plastic clip inside driver's side door trim, reinstalled, secured trim
Vehicle Operating per manufacturer design
-----------------------------------------------------------

I also noticed they applied the silicone grease to all the door latches & around some b-pillar seals. The car is dead quiet inside now and I am really happy. All was covered under warranty, which is a good thing as I imagine that I would have gotten railed on cost for parts and labor if I had more miles on the car. So for those going through this problem and have 12k miles or less, I would recommend being persistent and leaving it at the dealer as long as it takes to get it fixed. Anyone in the LA area, I would recommend VW Pasadena. Hope this helps someone.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Glad to hear you got everything fixed. I don't have the problem you have had with you car but did have a squeek when opening the driver door. Basically the bottom front of the door rubbing against the seal. Chapman VW took care of it.

Glad to hear Pasadena VW took care of you. I lived in Pasadena all my life until about six years ago and they always had a bad reputation. Over charging for their new cars compared to other dealers and the service department left something to be desired. Sounds like their service department has taken it up a notch or two.

Chevy Malibu - that punishment compared to the GTI but I guess better then being without wheel. Our local VW usually gives you another VW as a loaner. Last time they gave me a Beetle as that is all they had left. Not my favorite as it is a chick car. It is also feeling really dated (first came out in 1998). The new Beetle should be a big improvement.

Let us know if the issues return.

McQueen77

Banned
Well, I'm not sure if their rep has improved much since if you look them up on Yelp, they have 2 1/2 out of 5 stars out of 50 reviews or so with a lot of long, detailed complaints about the service dept. I guess I got lucky, and it bummed me out that they ultimately half-assed it the first time I brought it in, but they got it all the way right the second time, so I can't complain. I got the car down in San Juan Capistrano, so I definitely wasn't going all the way down there to get it looked at. Once I use up my free oil change though, I won't be going to the dealer for routine services as there is an independent Audi/VW shop in Pasadena area that comes highly recommended and their rates are more reasonable.

Yes, the Beetle is definitely a chick car and seems cheap to me. Not to mention that both times I went to VW Pas, the garage was full of Beetles and Jettas up on lifts.. Guess its the whole 'outsourced to Mexico' thing.

Thanks!

tzd

Ready to race!
Happy to hear that it worked out for you too!

These were also the two same parts that my dealer changed for me. Door Seal changed at 5,000 miles, but I still had the wind noise after that. Channel changed at 12,000 miles which solved the noise for my car.

heartcoke

Ready to race!
I gotta pick my ass up and take my car to the dealer to fix this issue one of these days. Wind noise is horrible and I've had the door seal changed.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
So these parts that dealers are replacing, would I be able to just get the parts from them for free and do it myself?

I avoid letting the dealer touch my car at all costs. I'd even pay for these parts if I had to(assuming they fix the problem).

heartcoke

Ready to race!
So these parts that dealers are replacing, would I be able to just get the parts from them for free and do it myself?

I avoid letting the dealer touch my car at all costs. I'd even pay for these parts if I had to(assuming they fix the problem).
If I could warranty my own work I'd do this too, seems like the last time they used super glue and it's visible on the door.

Jhover

Ready to race!
What did your door rattle sound like? I have one on my driver door right above the armrest, sounds like something is loose. Maybe I have a loose clip too?

McQueen77

Banned
What did your door rattle sound like? I have one on my driver door right above the armrest, sounds like something is loose. Maybe I have a loose clip too?

There were multiple rattles. The right, passenger side door sounded like a metal on metal rattle when on rough surfaces etc. After they replaced all of the parts, it went away, which leads me to believe that the defective parts/assembly on the passenger side also caused some rattles. On the driver's side door there was a clip that literally came off and was sitting at the bottom of the inside of my door panel that was rattling around driving me crazy. Sounded like a rock bouncing around in my door. They replaced the clip and all is well. All this was done 350 miles ago and so far, all is silent.

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
they applied the silicone grease around some b-pillar seals

:eek: Sounds like a mess that is just going to collect debris. The seals are intended to work with contact pressure, not with some silicone gooped on there. I would not be satisfied with that part of their fix at all... sounds like it was their last ditch effort.

McQueen77

Banned
:eek: Sounds like a mess that is just going to collect debris. The seals are intended to work with contact pressure, not with some silicone gooped on there. I would not be satisfied with that part of their fix at all... sounds like it was their last ditch effort.

well, no mess yet. the main problem was the seals and channels which were replaced and eliminated a lot of rattles and wind noise so time will tell.

irssurf

I have had my '10 to the dealer twice with no solution. The second time the factory rep Looked at the car and his suggested solution was to just spray everything with silicon, some how I don't think so! I have posted before that I really think the dealers hope that we all will tire of the wasted time we spend in the dealer waiting areas while thy feed us another quote from VWOA's B.S. 101 Manual and we will go away- problem solved. For them.
They claimed they installed the tsb kit for wind noise but changed their story from "it's only for wind noise issues not squeaks and rattles to --that's right you guessed it, we installed the tsb kit for squeaks, rattles and wind noise". These guys should be politicians. I hope that those of you who have had apparent success with having this issue resolved continue to enjoy a squeak, rattle and wind noise free GTI, I'm envious. Please keep us posted as to whether the fix seems to be holding. I enjoy my GTI but this VWOA ignored issue is a pisser.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on getting this addressed, and thanks for posting the details for all of us.

McQueen77

Banned
I have had my '10 to the dealer twice with no solution. The second time the factory rep Looked at the car and his suggested solution was to just spray everything with silicon, some how I don't think so! I have posted before that I really think the dealers hope that we all will tire of the wasted time we spend in the dealer waiting areas while thy feed us another quote from VWOA's B.S. 101 Manual and we will go away- problem solved. For them.
They claimed they installed the tsb kit for wind noise but changed their story from "it's only for wind noise issues not squeaks and rattles to --that's right you guessed it, we installed the tsb kit for squeaks, rattles and wind noise". These guys should be politicians. I hope that those of you who have had apparent success with having this issue resolved continue to enjoy a squeak, rattle and wind noise free GTI, I'm envious. Please keep us posted as to whether the fix seems to be holding. I enjoy my GTI but this VWOA ignored issue is a pisser.

5 months later and the wind noise issue seems to be fixed permanently. Silent at highway speeds. Sorry to hear that other's on here weren't as lucky as I was with the dealer. Guess I lucked out and got a dealer who gave a shit enough to actually fix the problem. Good luck.

PurSpyk!!

Passed Driver's Ed
I have read a lot of threads on this topic and this seems common enough of a problem that the resolution to my specific problem warranted it's own thread. Like a few other posters on this board who had similar issues (who have been very helpful), the purpose of the post is to assure people having problems with wind noise coming from passenger door seals, door rattles, misc. rattles and B-Pillar creaking and ticking, that there is a potential fix if you are persistent and your car's mileage is low enough that all of this is covered under warranty.

Brought the car back in on Monday to VW Pasadena so that they could have a second crack at fixing these problems. The first time I brought it in, the striker plate adjustment actually seemed to make the problem(s) worse. The service manager, Norm, was prompt and helpful and got me into a loaner/rental Monday afternoon. The car was a total bummer: Chevy Malibu, just a massive bummer of a car. After a quick road test with a tech they said they would pressurize the cabin and use a mic and headset to isolate the area the noise was coming from etc. I also explained the door rattles and the guy told me that this is a common problem in that the models come new from the factory 'under-greased' and that its common for them at the 10k miles service to re-lube and grease all the latches, seals etc. due to similar complaints. He noticed the lithium grease that I had applied and said he was going to clean that off and apply their factory silicone grease (Krytox I believe - about $30 p/tube) etc. Drove the piece of crap Malibu around for 4 days and then got the GTI back today. Everything was fixed and it felt inside, for the first time, like a new car. This is basically what the report says that I got back:
- Right door seals have internal fault - 57631900 - Front door seal remove and reinstall - 65 War
64451950 Front Door Window Guide Remove and Reinstall
57301960 Door Assembly Carrier Remove and Reinstall
70591900 Front Door Trim Panel Remove and Reinstall

Found plastic clip inside driver's side door trim, reinstalled, secured trim
Vehicle Operating per manufacturer design

I also noticed they applied the silicone grease to all the door latches & around some b-pillar seals. The car is dead quiet inside now and I am really happy. All was covered under warranty, which is a good thing as I imagine that I would have gotten railed on cost for parts and labor if I had more miles on the car. So for those going through this problem and have 12k miles or less, I would recommend being persistent and leaving it at the dealer as long as it takes to get it fixed. Anyone in the LA area, I would recommend VW Pasadena. Hope this helps someone.

Hi the part numbers are these country related? I have the exact same issue, but I am from South Africa, and VW locally deny there are any known issues. I have had the car for a year, reported the issue within the first month of owning the car, and its still not fixed. Its actually at the dealer today. Adjusting the stricker seems to help, but then I had more wind noise at high s[peeds and the doors is not aligned correclty. The passanger side seems fine.