GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Vent Boost Gauge - Review & Install Pics/Video

upgrad3

Ready to race!
So, I got to install my AWE boost gauge and boost tap today and I think it came out great. The boost tap took about 10min but the gauge took a little while. Although, if I had to do it again I could probably do it in less than an hour. Most of the time was looking for my tools and shit like that and trying to rip out the vent, which was quite difficult.

I have to say that it does look good and works well. The install instructions were on point which made installation much easier.

Also, before buying the AWE gauge I was looking at the Osir vent pod and was going to buy a Defi gauge. I was going to go with the Osir pod because it was curved towards the driver. Just so you guys know, the AWE gauge IS curved toward the driver, it isn't head on. Also, the gauge lights match the cluster gauges color exactly and you can wire it so the brightness is controlled by the cluster brightness button so it dims/brightens with the rest of the cluster.

Tips On Installing:
1) You are going to need a ratchet extension (they don't tell you that) to get to the battery tie down bolt. Unless you have massively small hands, get yourself an extension.

2) READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FULLY!! When I was trying to get the tube into the cabin I went through the firewall from inside the engine. The instructions say "From inside the CABIN", much easier that way.

3) If you already have an intake your install will be quicker because you already have taken out the airbox.

4) Feeding the boost sensor connector to the gauge from the bottom of the dash to the vent is IMPOSSIBLE. What I did was got some string, tied a weight to the end and fed that through the vent to the bottom of the cabin. Then tied the string to the sensor and snaked it through the top. MUCH easier.

5) PLEASE DON'T DO WHAT I DID! I installed everything and finished up and when I looked at the gauge it was actually crooked. I didn't realize I could twist the gauge by loosening the bolts on the back to make it straight. So, I had to take the vent out again and straighten the gauge.

6) After installation, after you re-connect your battery and turn your car on if your computer says "Error: ESP" and/or you steering wheel light, tire pressure light or any other warning light are on....don't worry....just drive for about 10 seconds and they will reset themeselves

Pictures:

Boost Tap

Boost Tap #2

Gauge (Day) #1

Gauge (Day) #2

Gauge (Night) #1

Video:
This is just showing how it stages when you turn the car on, the colors at night and how (if you wire it this way) you can control the brightness of the gauge with the rest of your cluster.

Only thing I wasn't happy with was that the gauge wasn't level and in the instructions it doesn't say that you can adjust it (unless I missed that). But, you can adjust it, so it's all good. Just didn't like the fact that I had to rip out the vent again :mad0259:

Last edited:

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
first question - in the first picture, what is that tube that says " awe-tuning " on it? I never knew that needed to be replaced..

second question - what made you choose the AWE boost tap rather than a 42dd boost tap?

wished you had more install pictures!

upgrad3

Ready to race!
first question - in the first picture, what is that tube that says " awe-tuning " on it? I never knew that needed to be replaced..

second question - what made you choose the AWE boost tap rather than a 42dd boost tap?

wished you had more install pictures!

The first picture shows the AWE piping that replaces the stock piping to include an outlet that that you can connect a T connector too....so you can connect 2 tubes too it....I choose the AWE boost tap just because I was purchasing the AWE gauge I thought I might as well go for their boost tap as well....if I don't like it, I'll try out the 42DD tap.....

what kinda pictures you wanna see??? ill be happy to take more :)

mikochu

boogerface
Just FYI, I have the Forge boost tap and recently rotated the tap to point the nozzle upward. With the nozzle pointing down, oil from the PCV found it's way into the tubing connected to the boost gauge receiver, causing some problems.

A.W.E. Tuning's boost tap hose shouldn't have this problem. However, the 42DD tap may have an issue, especially since it has that locking brace piece.

elvinkch

Ready to race!
I don't know much about the boost to be honest, but isn't it supposed to be somewhere around 15psi? It's reading -20...or maybe i just dont know how to read the gauge.

Jhover

Ready to race!
Have one too, easy install except my connector to the gauge did not fit correctly. Unfortunately the leds in the gauge are slowly dimming and not evenly.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
Just finished installing mine. Love it.

dbest6808

Ready to race!
I don't know much about the boost to be honest, but isn't it supposed to be somewhere around 15psi? It's reading -20...or maybe i just dont know how to read the gauge.

At Idle boost is negative it should be at + 15 to 19 when under full boost.
Not sure why but that's how it is.

Carbon_RichMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
At Idle boost is negative it should be at + 15 to 19 when under full boost.
Not sure why but that's how it is.

all engines operate at a vacuum in the intake mainfold (thats how the engine sucks in air).. but on turbo cars when the turbo spools up it pressurizes the intake forcing the air into the engine which causes a huge HP increase!