GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Shows New Golf Convertible

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
The soft top is a great move, it saves weight and makes the car handle better.

on the contrary, soft top convertibles are almost always heavier than their hard top, non-convertible counterparts.

if you remove the roof, you lose a lot of structural support and rigidity that the roof provides. so to compensate, more structural support is added around the body and under the floor. this makes the car heavier.

I actually thought the same thing until I had it explained to me.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
on the contrary, soft top convertibles are almost always heavier than their hard top, non-convertible counterparts.

if you remove the roof, you lose a lot of structural support and rigidity that the roof provides. so to compensate, more structural support is added around the body and under the floor. this makes the car heavier.

I actually thought the same thing until I had it explained to me.

I believe the other poster was referring to the weight savings of a softtop vs a hardtop convertible. Think this Golf Cabrio over the Eos. Not non convertible models.

Everyone should know that most convertibles are heavier and sloppier over their non convertible counterpart.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
I believe the other poster was referring to the weight savings of a softtop vs a hardtop convertible. Think this Golf Cabrio over the Eos. Not non convertible models.

Everyone should know that most convertibles are heavier and sloppier over their non convertible counterpart.
ahh, ok. my mistake. that makes sense then, yeah.

I think a hard top would make this car too close to the eos anyway, it'd cannibalize sales.