GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Honeycomb Badgeless Grill.. "Custom Project"

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
As some of you may know I've ordered a custom badgeless grill from Germany which disappointed me when I received it.

Poor quality... for almost $400 dollars and almost two months of waiting.

Red stripes were not fully dry when they got packed for shipping so the wrapper got in-printed into the red stripes.

The honeycomb is chipped in few places.

The clips are too fat and wont fit into the back piece of the stock grill holder or w/e u wanna call it, and some already broke off when i was test fitting it. The fitment is bad and uneven.

Will i recommend this to anyone? NO unless you can re do the whole thing which will take some custom fitting and repainting.

Besides all of that, theres another problem.. how to make the honeycomb grill fit into the Gti back grill so it looks decent and is correct.

So heres where it ALL starts.
This is how the grill looks like at the moment, so one of the goals is to cut out the old badge piece since its visible.

Components:

1. The actual grill.
2. Golf bageless grill.
3. Stock Gti back piece of the grill (grill holder or w/e its called)

So the idea is to cut out all of the plastic in the picture below.

And then the bottom part of the golf grill needs to be cut out and plastiweld to the stock Gti back grill, followed by sanding, bondo and priming then painting.

By doing all of this I'm trying to achieve a honeycomb badgeless grill that will be perfectly fitted in to the stock Gti back grill. Which includes the bottom part of the Golf badgeless grill and all painted gloss black.
So now you are all know where I will be hiding for the next 2 week or so.
ohh and of course red stripes will be fixed up as well and painted, just not sure which color yet :)

Last edited:

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
If I payed 400$ for that, I would be royally pissed.

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
^ well i thought about shipping it back but it would take another 2 months to get a new one in and then the whole fitting project needs to be done either way!

omes4life1

Ready to race!
Yea man i can see why your heated, 400 is not cheap PLYS it doesnt even fit? Fuck man good luck. Let us kno how it turns out.

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
Yea man i can see why your heated, 400 is not cheap PLYS it doesnt even fit? Fuck man good luck. Let us kno how it turns out.

well it kinda fits but not really but this is what it looks like..

the bottom part of the grill where the VW emblem was, just in the way so that needs to be adjusted ;) so thats the main part why im starting this project.
And thanks i will keep you guys updated.

omes4life1

Ready to race!
Damn that looks good congrats on the fitting. Just need to cut the lower round piece off and fill the hood notch. Nice work!

Emillionaire90

Ready to race!
Wow I'm really sorry to hear that man... I'd be extremely upset if I was in your situation.

I just saw your post on vortex and was looking at their grille without the GTI emblem, thanks for saving me some money. :thumbsup:

Hope everything works out and good luck with your project!

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
Wow I'm really sorry to hear that man... I'd be extremely upset if I was in your situation.

I just saw your post on vortex and was looking at their grille without the GTI emblem, thanks for saving me some money. :thumbsup:

Hope everything works out and good luck with your project!

guess i'll be the pioneer of the perfect honeycomb badgeless grill in North America lol

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
Yeaa I emailed that company when I was shopping for the grill but it took them a week to reply and they told me the grill is on back order for few months and they don't do international shipping? But then again this was before xmas so maybe now they got their stuff together. If that grill includes the back part of the grill that's fixed already at the bottom then that's awesome but the only things is, by retaining the lower part of Gti stock back grill, the bumper needs to be notched since there's an indent for the badge.

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion
I'd be pissed after paying 400 for something not well made.

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
making some progress on the grill here are some pics..
btw decided to just notch the front bumper and not use the lower portion of the golf grill so more custom fitting was done.

this was just a test cut/fit to see if this idea will even work and it turned out to be ok so next gotta smooth everything out and get it all ready for paint