GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust diameter sizing for turbos

untangle

Ready to race!
Should I go 2.5" or 3"?

This question seems to be asked daily on GTI forums. I'm going to try to approach the topic from the fluid mechanics perspective.

First, we have to understand that flow velocity in the exhaust is as important as high volumetric flow rate, but for a different reason. Second, increasing pipe diameter reduces velocity (bad) and increases max volumetric flow rate (good). Last, high velocity equals low pressure. That's it - that's the physics.

But what does it mean to downpipe performance?

It's pretty simple:
  • For max power at WOT, we want high volumetric flow rate. This means a BIGGER pipe. -but-
  • For maximum throttle response (minimum turbo lag), we must keep flow velocity up. This creates the max pressure differential to drive the turbine. This means a SMALLER pipe.

Obviously, we want both. But we can't maximize both simultaneously, so we compromise. Experience has taught that if we go smaller than 2.5", power at WOT (AKA dyno runs) suffers. If we go bigger than 3", lag rears its ugly head.

So... When folks say they lose power down low with a 3" DP, they are right - low flow velocity creates low delta-p which means lag, even in our small turbo. The flow is slowest at part-throttle, and that's where the lag is greatest.

And when folks point to dyno runs that prove that no power is lost down low with a 3" DP, they are right too. At WOT and steady-state flow, the turbo loves that high flow potential.

Another velocity-related consideration is exhaust gas cooling. We don't want the gas to cool. Cool gas is dense (heavy), and trying to move it creates backpressure. Score another one for smaller pipes.

But, in truth, I doubt that the differences between 2.5" and 3" cause much of a perf diff for the stock turbo.

Finally, why does low-RPM lag appear to increase at Stage II? I'm not sure, but I suspect the issue is turbulence. The Stage II ECU requests lots of boost NOW, creating violence in the flow. Turbulence is another big velocity-killer, and low velocities cause lag.

It's been a long time since I studied Euler and Bernoulli, but hopefully I've remembered enough to make this useful. I have over-simplified a bit. This was a deliberate choice.

Bob

PS Credit to grambles423 for exposing some of the equations in an earlier thread.

Last edited:

TDI110

O_o
I recommend giving him a PM about this - whenever he pops onto the forums he wants questions like this. I think he'll appreciate it :)

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
FWIW, I believe the Milltek is 2.75". :)

Clempson13

Ready to race!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Bob,

Excellent job on bringing some light, or better yet, some simplicity to this matter. Its hard as a Vehicle design engineer to not assume that everyone knows this stuff. Hats off to you sir.

You might wanna consider linking the other threads on this topic. We can go ahead and sticky this so people wont have to search very far and keep asking questions. We all know new people love to avoid the search button and ask outright.

And wheres plac? If you're reading this, post up some independent dynos of your 2.5" vs. 3" experience. That'll nail down some imperical evidence.

Bender1

Banned

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Should I go 2.5" or 3"?

This question seems to be asked daily on GTI forums. I'm going to try to approach the topic from the fluid mechanics perspective.

First, we have to understand that flow velocity in the exhaust is as important as high volumetric flow rate, but for a different reason. Second, increasing pipe diameter reduces velocity (bad) and increases max volumetric flow rate (good). Last, high velocity equals low pressure. That's it - that's the physics.

I'm not sure that I understand the reasoning behind this.

Flow velocity is only important upstream of the turbo, downstream what you need is as mentioned high volumetric flow rate (and assuming there is no backpressure from the exhaust the turbo itself dictates the flow velocity right?). The reason you want flow velocity upstream of the turbo is to help with cylinder scavenging but downstream of the turbo there is no scavenging. Which is exactly why in an NA motor you want to make sure you ahve the write exhaust piping size all the way down, to maximize flow velocity to help cylinder scavenging.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm not sure that I understand the reasoning behind this.

Flow velocity is only important upstream of the turbo, downstream what you need is as mentioned high volumetric flow rate (and assuming there is no backpressure from the exhaust the turbo itself dictates the flow velocity right?). The reason you want flow velocity upstream of the turbo is to help with cylinder scavenging

Yes, you are correct about the flow before the turbo. But since most of that is built into the exhaust manifold, this portion of the debate is irrelavant. The turbo is its own entity in this system. You will never truly see cylinder scavaging in a turbocharged vehicle, unless the turbine wheel siezes and the wastegate is closed.

but downstream of the turbo there is no scavenging.

Our focus is on the downpipe (The portion of pipe immediately after the turbo)
It is extremely important for performance to consider the velocity and flow characteristics of the downpipe or otherwise you cause some serious turbulent flow profiles that'll hinder performance and in some extreme cases, damage the turbine wheel. Remember this basic principle, ALWAYS have a positive pressure difference across the turbine wheel. The greater the difference, the quicker the velocities.

How do you create pressure differences? Exhaust diameter. But you cant expect to slap a 5" pipe and expect that to be the greatest difference in pressure and have you're turbo spinning at 1million RPM

Thats why Bob has taken it upon himself to mention velocity profiles and flow characteristics at WOT and regular driving conditions.

But FURTHER down the stream.....it wont matter.

Which is exactly why in an NA motor you want to make sure you ahve the write exhaust piping size all the way down, to maximize flow velocity to help cylinder scavenging

Correct, but that has no bearing on turbo principles. Its a whole new ball game.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
Flow velocity is only important upstream of the turbo, downstream what you need is as mentioned high volumetric flow rate (and assuming there is no backpressure from the exhaust the turbo itself dictates the flow velocity right?). The reason you want flow velocity upstream of the turbo is to help with cylinder scavenging but downstream of the turbo there is no scavenging. Which is exactly why in an NA motor you want to make sure you ahve the write exhaust piping size all the way down, to maximize flow velocity to help cylinder scavenging.

This. I'm sure there is a limit on the diameter where going larger won't really give any performance increase, but this would vary with the output of the engine.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Yes, you are correct about the flow before the turbo. But since most of that is built into the exhaust manifold, this portion of the debate is irrelavant. The turbo is its own entity in this system. You will never truly see cylinder scavaging in a turbocharged vehicle, unless the turbine wheel siezes and the wastegate is closed.

Our focus is on the downpipe (The portion of pipe immediately after the turbo)
It is extremely important for performance to consider the velocity and flow characteristics of the downpipe or otherwise you cause some serious turbulent flow profiles that'll hinder performance and in some extreme cases, damage the turbine wheel. Remember this basic principle, ALWAYS have a positive pressure difference across the turbine wheel. The greater the difference, the quicker the velocities.

How do you create pressure differences? Exhaust diameter. But you cant expect to slap a 5" pipe and expect that to be the greatest difference in pressure and have you're turbo spinning at 1million RPM

Thats why Bob has taken it upon himself to mention velocity profiles and flow characteristics at WOT and regular driving conditions.

But FURTHER down the stream.....it wont matter.

Correct, but that has no bearing on turbo principles. Its a whole new ball game.

There will be more turbulence introduced due to bends and flanges in our exhaust system than there will be with going from a 2.5" to 3" system (in our cars) and even then our DPs are fairly long and straight.

Sure if we're going to 4-5" and huge turbos but in our case I would be hard pressed to believe that there would be much difference turbulence wise between 2.5" and 3". And that would leave us with what you mentioned, the greater the positive pressure difference the better (until you hit that turbulence stuff) and so 3" would yield better results than 2.5".

In MY opinion there is NO advantage to using 2.5" on our cars over 3". No velocity will be lost and there will be greater positive pressure thus probably yielding better results all around (low and high RPM)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
There will be more turbulence introduced due to bends and flanges in our exhaust system than there will be with going from a 2.5" to 3" system (in our cars) and even then our DPs are fairly long and straight.

Sure if we're going to 4-5" and huge turbos but in our case I would be hard pressed to believe that there would be much difference turbulence wise between 2.5" and 3". And that would leave us with what you mentioned, the greater the positive pressure difference the better (until you hit that turbulence stuff) and so 3" would yield better results than 2.5".

In MY opinion there is NO advantage to using 2.5" on our cars over 3". No velocity will be lost and there will be greater positive pressure thus probably yielding better results all around (low and high RPM)

You'd be surpised at how a little difference can change the whole dynamic of the flow. Is it apparent in our cars? No idea. I dont have the time nor the equipment. ....I wish though. But I can definitely say, pipe diameter is a MASSIVE role in fluid dynamics.

Since diameter is one of the multiplying factors in the Reynolds Number (The number that deteremines Laminar or turbulent flow for those who dont know) you can increase this order by 20% by increasing the diameter .5"

Reynolds number for Laminar = <2300
Reynolds number for Turbulent = >4000

2300-4000 are transition flows. Laminar and Turbulent.

but enough of that,

I just wanna see independent dynos. I want to see 2.5" vs. 2.75" vs. 3" That will, with a doubt, bring a definitive end to this debate.

I completely agree though, I dont really see an advantage. Well, maybe one and that is price. But any company can be gimmicky and sell anything if the average buyer is naive and gullible.

I'll see if I can get some free time to hammer out some equations to see the differences.

Bender1

Banned
I just wanna see independent dynos. I want to see 2.5" vs. 2.75" vs. 3" That will, with a doubt, bring a definitive end to this debate.

Issue with this is then tune. Obviously each is optimized to the tune it is paired with (or the tune is optimized with it, chicken meet egg).

No real way to get a scientifically valid control over tune IMO.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie

Keep this in mind:

The stock and most aftermarket systems neck down to 2-1/4" at the transition of the DP to the rear section. This turns 2-1/2" to 3" DP's into funnels since the actual exit is smaller than the inlet. How does that effect velocity and flow?

Clempson13

Ready to race!
Keep this in mind:

The stock and most aftermarket systems neck down to 2-1/4" at the transition of the DP to the rear section. This turns 2-1/2" to 3" DP's into funnels since the actual exit is smaller than the inlet. How does that effect velocity and flow?
so dont buy one that does