GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI on CC Daytonas

Timujin

Ready to race!
VW Daytona 18X8 ET41 235/40 18 factory Conti(weigh as much as a)seal. I feel the factory dampers being stressed trying keep these wheels calm. Bilstein & Drivegear coming soon I think. Front and rear have rubbed a bit. I may need to install factory suspension travel limiters and make a slight camber adjustment meanwhile. Splash guards are in the mail. I'll get more daylight sideview pics when the weather clears and I wash it.

Attachments

• Golf.jpg
    Golf.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 2,031
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 8,206
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 8,147
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 8,066
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 2,489
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,543
  • vwrnht.jpg
    vwrnht.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,651
Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thanks for the pics!!

I'm picking up a set of these today and putting on some 225/40/18's
I was afraid they might poke too much in the front, but should be perfect (with the smaller tires)

As for the weight...the Daytonas weigh less than the stock Detroits.

Just looked up the weight of those Conti tires though...27lbs!!! :eek:
The General UHP's I'm gonna put on them are only 21lbs

Timujin

Ready to race!
Cancel that...no Daytonas for me :(

They were in rough shape and I passed on buying them

Well that sucks. Good luck with more Daytonas or with another set of wheels. I saw a set of Daytonas on Vortex with tires for 1100. CC take offs like mine.

Timujin

Ready to race!
Still rubbing post VW suspension limiter & screw mods done

Did not get rid of all rubbing on the ET41 18X8 235/40 18 setup! 225s needed!

Removed the front fender screws (and plastic nut) that everyone talks about rubbing up front. Front fender liners were rubbing right on the edge and the screwheads I removed was polished on one side. The tires never rubbed any painted parts. I did not tuck the liners into the tab as others mention. VW suspension limiters added to the front.

Trimmed the rear fender to bumper screw area with a dremmel cutoff wheel and sprayed a some paint on it to see if it rubs later. I also added the VW suspension limters to the rear. I trimmed 1 3/8" from the bottom of shock dust boot in order to get to the piston. I didn't want to remove the top of the shock at this point.

Test drive was rub free fun, but after a 200 mile road trip yesterday it rubbed, but not as bad. The suspension limiters are dense bumpstops. I feel an added level of dampening progression in the front and rear. Finally had a chance to scrub in the Conti Seals a little. DriveGears should be taught.

Last edited:

Timujin

Ready to race!
Tire swap

Went to a 225/40 Dunlop DZ101. I can drive it like I stole it and/or haul cargo as intended again. DG springs can now go on with no fear of rub. This is my first set of Dunlop tires. Decent amount of stretch.

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
Nice!
Good idea on upgrading the tires...these Continental's suck & are super loud! :thumbdown:

Finally got the Daytonas on my CC:

Compared to having the stock 17's:

Timujin

Ready to race!
Thanks. Nice wheels BTW. ^ Looks nice and grown up with the Daytonas. Gonna lower it a bit?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Gonna lower it a bit?

The first pic with the Daytonas on is with it lowered on the DriverGear springs.
They're actually for the B6 Passat though (same car as mine, different sheet metal).
Dropped it 1" in the front & a 0.5" in the rear

So it's just a subtle drop, but a smooth ride (nicer than stock IMO)

Before & after pics....stock:

With 18's:

With 18's & DriverGear Springs:

stock:

With 18's:

stock:

stock: