GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RIP

zee

Go Kart Champion
http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/2009/0...im-fabrikneuen-golf/100-stundenkilometer.html

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes....html

Quick google translation.*

In an accident in Wolfsburg on Wednesday evening, four young men 18 to 20 years, died. They rode in a brand new golf.
A fifth victim is in danger, police said. The 19-year-old driver had the 170 horsepower car, which was registered to his father, only a few hours earlier, picked up in person at the Wolfsburg plant. After he had driven with friends, with over 100 miles an hour through his hometown.

The vehicle was a function of the roadway, crashed into a traffic island, flung against a tree and was ripped from a second in two parts.

"The first responders offered a grim picture," said police spokesman Thomas Figge. None of the five inmates had put on a seatbelt. (inmates?) All were catapulted from the vehicle and thrown into the street.

One of the men died at the accident scene, the other succumbed shortly afterwards in the nearby hospitals to their severe injuries.

Currently, the bodies are examined for traces of alcohol, drugs and tablets.

Alex.

Ready to race!
I guess this could happen to any car, it might not be split in two, but it would still be bad.

GTI2007

why didn't they had their seatbelts on with driving over 100 mph cause even with a million airbags you don't get saved by it when you don't wear your seatbelt like you are supposed to do

Fer312t

why didn't they had their seatbelts on with driving over 100 mph cause even with a million airbags you don't get saved by it when you don't wear your seatbelt like you are supposed to do

Yes, completely silly - although in this particular accident it looks as if nothing would have made a big difference in the outcome. While the damage is startling, I suspect no other car of similar mass would have faired any better at those speeds...

Sad to think of these guys all excited about the brand new VW, and a couple hour later this is the result...

Truly a horrible, unfortunate accident. But a side impact like that at 140 kph (88 mph) or greater? It would tear any road car to pieces. Ridiculous speeds + no seatbelts? I've worked in hospitals for 18+ years and am currently at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. We see too many cases like this and the result is sadly predictable. 5 kids were incredibly stupid and splattered themselves all over the place. Wear your seatbelt and race on the track where it belongs. Simple, basic and frequently ignored.........so sad, so unnecessary........ :(

I wonder if VW asked for the car so as to see the real world damage and make alterations etc.

VW will get the crash data, examine the scene and get the car back after everyone else is done. Standard procedure for any manufacturer. Will they make alterations? Probably not - brand new platform. As in previous post, that impact would have destroyed anything. Side impact testing loads are 35 mph. Throw it sideways into a tree/pole at double that velocity or higher? I doubt any automobile wouldn't suffer structural failure. That doesn't make the MK 6 an unsafe car by any means.

GrantG

On a similar thread as Vols911, terribly tragic. Not only for the loss of life of these young men but consider all the other lives forever changed/effected. Heartbroken family, friends, teachers, co-workers, etc. And not to age myself too much or pile on, but it's even more tragic to the more senior of us who know about all the little milestones of life that are lost when a young life is lost.

On a similar thread as Vols911, terribly tragic. Not only for the loss of life of these young men but consider all the other lives forever changed/effected. Heartbroken family, friends, teachers, co-workers, etc. And not to age myself too much or pile on, but it's even more tragic to the more senior of us who know about all the little milestones of life that are lost when a young life is lost.

Yep, life is a fragile thing sometimes. I'm 44 and try very hard to enjoy every single day for all it is worth. We only get X number of them and if you're still healthy and have loved ones, well that's a awfully good thing. Actually one of the reasons I am getting a GTI. I've wanted one for quite a few years, I can easily afford it and life's short. I could hang onto my Accord for 2-3 more years and save some money but this time, I'm going to allow emotion to overrule numbers and financial sense. Or, to use the old cliche, life's too short to drink cheap beer, drive boring cars or date ugly women. :lol: