GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE CCB Intake Install and Review

Bender1

Banned
So after having it for about 10 days I finally had a chance to install it on Friday evening. Install was a breeze, took maybe an hour and that was with me taking my time. Fit and finish is excellent. I know some people have had issues with the MAF relocate and having to cut the wire-loom but I did not. Its a stretch, but it makes it. I do have a slight brake vibration RIGHT at start up, maybe the only first 2-4 seconds. Almost non-noticeable and, like I said, non-existent after first couple seconds.

In the engine bay it looks like pure sex. I went with the power-coated black and am glad I did but I think it would look slick with the silver too. The box itself is stunningly beautiful.

So as to the more controversial aspect of the AWE pipe - relocation of the MAF. First, from an install point of view, this is one of the easiest part. Moving the sensor itself takes all of 6 seconds and extending the wiring its not a big deal if you follow the instructions (move the clip, run the wire under the pipe and over the brake reservoir, switch the clip end, attach) and takes maybe 5 minutes. That said, as for the WHY, I totally get it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminar_flow. As we all know the GIAC K04 tune LOVES smooth flow and I suspect that the lower level tunes (stage 1/2) like it as well. Though GIAC especially likes this smooth flow I have a feeling that it would benefit ALL tunes. Some may be programmed to be a bit more flexible with inconsistent MAF (I do understand why some would do that) but the smoother flow would have to benefit them all. So basically make nothing of the hype that "you don't have to move the MAF sensor!" for some of the other intakes. Again, I get it but the bottom line is that moving the MAF is a non-issue and shouldn't be considered in anyway when shopping for intakes (unless you are planning on a GIAC K04 and then I would STRONGLY recommend and intake that shifts the MAF). JUST DO IT RIGHT.

Driving impressions -
NICE! Not a huge power maker (no intake is) but definitely a bit all across the range. Power is more than noticeable. Additionally, it seems like it shifts the power band a bit lower. Not loud but you can definitely hear the turbo a bit more when you really get on it. As one that likes sensible progression of modifications, its a great one. Definitely a great post tune or post upgraded intercooler. Do it early and enjoy it.

Two big thumbs up for the AWE CCB.

Pics later - it looks GREAT

Bender1

Banned

P

plac

not bad.. i dont think any intake is for me really.. i'm just not an intake kind of guy i guess.

dood you still have your noisepipe??! that is totally corrupting the sound of your intake. it will sound way more pure and crisp if you remove it. hell, it corrupts the sound of a downpipe just as much..

Bender1

Banned
Yeah I have the noisepipe removal kit sitting in my basement for the past 6 months, no drive to do it yet.

Totally understand "not being an intake guy." If you were one, I would certainly say don't let your MAF wire loom concerns hold you back from this one. Once I followed the directions and took a minute or two to think about how to run the wires, there was no issue.

Hardest part of the install was getting the pipe into the silicone coupler and getting the hose clamp around. Its just a tight spot. Would be a perfect spot to have a wife or gf who is handy with a wrench to help out. Small hands would be helpful.

P

plac

Yeah I have the noisepipe removal kit sitting in my basement for the past 6 months, no drive to do it yet.

Totally understand "not being an intake guy." If you were one, I would certainly say don't let your MAF wire loom concerns hold you back from this one. Once I followed the directions and took a minute or two to think about how to run the wires, there was no issue.

Hardest part of the install was getting the pipe into the silicone coupler and getting the hose clamp around. Its just a tight spot. Would be a perfect spot to have a wife or gf who is handy with a wrench to help out. Small hands would be helpful.

dood just do the noisepipe and deal with firewall cleanup later on a different day.. thats 50% of the hard work. will cut the job in half.

you dont mean the spot behind the engine back there? or the rubber boot with the AWE? That rear clamp everyone dies about is cake with my tool.. real long reach hose clamp pliers.. i gotta show you guys with a quick video sometime..

hmmm well i always like doing something as far as intake. but i honestly hate anything that doesnt look stock.. i already had a K&N drop-in once... sold it after a few days.. mainly because of the form factor.. it wasnt the same depth as the stocker.. but i may seriously just go with a different drop-in and leave it at that. i hear the AFE drop-in might be pretty decent.. but i wouldnt really feel an increase. so then i say.. whats the point?

Last edited:

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
Extending the MAF connector was the part that had me the most concerned - I had to get really creative before I finally got it to fit correctly - I was even considering removing the turbo inlet pipe to get the MAF connector on and then put the pipe back in, but thankfully it didn't get to that point.

blueshirts0819

Ready to race!
Nice, I have the same awe intake setup. The only problem is now I'm having issue trying to take the taps off to get to the filter itself for future cleaning. Everytime I tried to pull the taps I worry I will snap them. Any suggestion since I didn't do the initial installation.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
Get a very thin tipped flathead screwdriver or a razor blade to nudge the cap piece up - there are actually two pieces, similar to function as a sidewall screw. you'll have to pull out the first piece before you can remove the second one that is the guide/holder piece.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion
Good stuff, just had the front section of mine off today for an S3 IC install. Love the look and sound too.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Love the review bud. Always objective and detailed :thumbsup:

I'm glad I have the DV relocate. It gets rid of the noisemaker and directs cooler air into the intake. The guy I bought it from explained it all to me. Good stuff. Might wanna look into that.

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
Love the review bud. Always objective and detailed :thumbsup:

I'm glad I have the DV relocate. It gets rid of the noisemaker and directs cooler air into the intake. The guy I bought it from explained it all to me. Good stuff. Might wanna look into that.

I agree with him.

I removed that piece and it's more quieter in the cabin.

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!
The price for me is way too much to make it worth it to me. I would do APR or BSH for $100-150 less. I like the way this looks though.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
Oh crap, I just realized you managed to get the engine cover back on. I should do that.

Tetsuei

needs m0ar shiny.
got it posted in my build thread but I figure it should go here too.

Still have to do a little adjustment on the placement of the box - need to get the seal inside and under the inlet.