GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RhinoRamps

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
OK, I am annoyed. I read on here that the GTI and RhinoRamps play nicely together. There are two models: 1) the 8,000 lb ones and 2) the "Xtreme" 12,000 lb ones. The Xtreme ones are, according to the RhinoRamp website, 1" wider, but have the same 17 degree incline as the normal ones. I got the Xtreme ramps.

There is no way I am getting up there ramps without scraping the front of the car. And I am 100% stock. What gives? Are the 8,000 lb ramps different somehow?

I could put these in the lower part of my driveway and probably get up them, but that would mean being outside of the garage. I want to change my oil inside of my dang garage.

What ramps are you guys using, and how are you getting up them?

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I use the 67 inch Race Ramps with extenders for my lowered C6. The approach angle is low and they work, but are expensive. I would recommend just using some wood, 2x6's as extenders for your rhino ramps. If you Google race ramps or rhino ramps on Corvette forum you'll see pics of guys Modding the rhino ramps with the wood to make it permanent and solid.

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
OK, like this?

No big deal, I'll just use the incline of my concrete and do the work outside. I was just angry because I thought maybe I purchased the wrong ramps.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
OK, like this?

No big deal, I'll just use the incline of my concrete and do the work outside. I was just angry because I thought maybe I purchased the wrong ramps.

Yeah, that works and you can still do it in the garage. Beats the hell out of spending the money on the race ramps if you're not inclined to.

Scotty2Hotty

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, that works and you can still do it in the garage. Beats the hell out of spending the money on the race ramps if you're not inclined to.

Meh, whatever. I don't want to spend $200 on ramps. I'll lay the ramps on the decline or use wood.

I could've sworn people on here said that they could get up RhinoRamps stock, though. Those same people must have very scratched up front lips.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
They work. When you slide the ramps in place, it will be a tight fit and look like it will bottom out, but they won't. I've used both ramps many times.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
Make sure the ramps don't slide forward and snag on the pavement...those plastic ramps break very easily when flexed with that much force and can cause collapse.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Very interesting thread. I used 12k Rhino ramps on my old STI and the lip barely cleared at stock height. I haven't done an oil change yet on my GTI, but good to know I may need to purchase some 2x4s.

As for that picture of the red C6 on ramps with the jack in the rear, it's generally a good idea to have the car level for fluid changes, but I would probably have someone sit in the car to hold the brakes down while jacking the rear like that.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
My brother modded his Rhino Ramps so he could work on his slammed 95 540. Once I saw his it was the absolute best way I've seen so I'm about to do it to mine as well.

He took a 2X12X18 and added extensions to the front/bottom of the rhinos. The wood goes completely under the ramp twice so you get an extra 4 inchs of clearance under the car, and the wood extends forward of the ramp about 2 feet to make a more shallow approach angle for lowered cars. Best way to do it imo, as you get more work room under the car too :thumbsup:

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
Focapoint and Turtlejames, where you using the 8000 lb or 12000 lb ramps?

I've used both. The only difference is the 12000 is wider, so it fits with my VMR 18 x 8.5. and it is easier to get on there evenly.

I think you guys are overthinking this. Unless I have an unusually lifted GTI, there should be no problem with these ramps. It is initially a really tight fit, and it will appear like it will rub the bottom. In fact it does touch the bottom at first. But there is no damage that results, because as soon as your car gets on to the ramp, it will have clearance.

I place two 25lb weight plates in front of the ramp to keep it from moving.
I'll take a video of me going up the ramps if you want. If you're lowered I can definitely see these being a problem, but stock you don't need to jury rig anything.

This is a video I took a few months ago doing an oil change. Skip to around 1:08 to see the ramps:

MofoG23

Ready to race!
Mine will rub - no doubt...and I'm completely stock with Denvers.

Its not very difficult to throw a couple 2x4 slabs in front of the ramps to completely eliminate any chance of rubbing or touching.

Some of these differences might just be the surface everyone is using....if there is a slight (very slight) incline or decline between the car and ramp that could make the difference.