GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange Noise Coming From Front Right Tire/Wheel Area

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
I am getting this strange noise. I have narrowed down a couple of the conditions:

-The sound only appears at freeway speeds (60mph+)
-The sound does not go away if I turn the wheel any direction
-The wheel has been balanced and inspected (no issues there)
-The tire has been inspected and PSI has been adjusted
-Happens on 3 sets of wheels that I currently have (stock 18's with Pirelli's, Montegi 16's with Yokohama's and Verde 19's with Sumitomo's)

Update:
-The sound is more noticeable when the car has been sitting outside all day in the sun, on my drive home from work going down a hill, all accessories off, and the car is in neutral, very noticeable.

The best way to describe this sound is a hum that repeats itsefl over and over.

*hummmmmmmmmmm* pause *hummmmmmmmmmm* pause *hummmmmmmmmmm* pause and so on. etc. etc.

It is very noticeable once you are cruising on the freeway. When I get some free time I will setup a time at my dealership to have them look at it but I wanted to poll the forum first. My initial thought is it could be a bad wheel bearing but the car just hit 8,000 miles... so I am still highly unsure. I'll try and get a video of the sound (if I can...)

Anyone have any ideas? :iono: TIA.

Update - Part 2:
After driving with it so long I have been able to come up with a more precise description. I am now convinced it has something to do with the axle. Some part that *spins* with the wheel. Axle? CV Joint? Wheel bearing?

I'm going to have one of my friend's who is a master tech take a close look at that entire section of the car (front/right).

Update - Part 3:
After installing the H&R Touring Cup Suspension kit, the sound got 10x WORSE! I got tired of dealing with the dealer. Plus after the suspension kit, they were less willing to help me. I had my local auto repair shop, an ASE Master Technician, diagnosis the problem. Narrowed the sound from coming from the front right. I am getting the front right wheel bearing replaced next week. This was my guess all along. If the dealership won't acknowledge it, I have to take matters into my hands. Sure, coughing up $$$ that should be covered under warranty sucks, but I am sick and tired of driving around with this sound. Goes in next week. So we will see if it resolves my problem.

Update - Part 4:
I had the front right wheel bearing replaced and another 4-wheel alignment. Everything came out great! I am confident the sound I originally had been chasing is gone. Now I am stuck with a different sound that I noticed right after I had the suspension kit installed. Sounds like a groaning sound, coming from the front drivetrain or axles. I am going to have it looked at later this week. Hopefully can get this sound fixed and get my *new* quiet car back. Scratch the new part, just hit 17,777 this morning :(

Update - Part 5: Jan 2013
I had the front left wheel bearing replaced. This bearing was not creating "as much noise" as the front right was but as soon as we got it out it was evident that it was not operating as normal. I did a couple mile test drive in the city. Things seem to be back to DEAD SILENCE, Which is great news! I will be doing my usual drive tomorrow to put it to the test (freeway, hills, etc. etc.). Either way I am a bit frustrated with the OEM wheel bearing *dying* so quickly. I mean, there wasn't any crazy "play" in it or anything but it was causing noise so loud I could hear it in the cabin. Wish VW would beef up their wheel bearings ;-)

Last edited:

WhtGti2011

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anything with the vehicle changed recently? mods, track days, rough driving conditions. does it seem to happen more when cold or hot? vehicle cold or warmed up. only at 60mph? does being in a different gear help? ie 6th at 60mph, 5th at 60mph, 4th at 60mph?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
wheel bearings? take it to the dealer yet?

I have a somewhat similar issue.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
+1 on wheel bearing in early stages of failure.

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Has anything with the vehicle changed recently? mods, track days, rough driving conditions. does it seem to happen more when cold or hot? vehicle cold or warmed up. only at 60mph? does being in a different gear help? ie 6th at 60mph, 5th at 60mph, 4th at 60mph?

-Happens when the vehicle is cold and warmed up.
-Weather can be cold or hot, still happens
-It is more *noticeable* in 6th gear because the engine noise is not masking it

WhtGti2011

Passed Driver's Ed
I think if it were a wheel bearing, when he would load the suspension (change the wheel direction it would get louder or more quiet, same with temp) i feel it might be a groan from the trans somewhere. But i guess we will know more on monday, same bat time, same bat channel

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
I think if it were a wheel bearing, when he would load the suspension (change the wheel direction it would get louder or more quiet, same with temp) i feel it might be a groan from the trans somewhere. But i guess we will know more on monday, same bat time, same bat channel

It drastically changed in temperature here in Utah the last couple of days. I drove the car last night in 38 degree clear weather and it was "barely" noticeable. It is most noticeable on my drive home from work. When my car has been sitting in the sun. So I do think temperature has something to do with it now. :thumbdown:

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
Well... Long story short. The dealership had my car for 3 days. I got a 2012 VW Jetta TDI as a loaner car so I wasn't without a car for work, etc. etc. So that made the situation a little bit better.

Day 1 - They call to tell me they can hear the noise but it is my tires that are making the noise. I tell them I am so sure it's not the tires because my brand new winter wheels/tires still makes the sound. They said, oh, okay I'll get back to you.

Day 2 - Didn't hear from them at all

Day 3 - Still claiming it is the tires and they can't find anything wrong. I come down to pick the car up and I insist on driving around with one of the tech's. The tech drives with me and claims it is my "exhaust" making the sound. After he gave me crap for my stage 2 intake making a rattling noise (which it's not).

With my car back. Nothing was fixed. Sound/vibration/problem is still there. WTF. What a waste of time and gas. :thumbdown:

Now here I am convinced it is the wheel bearing with nothing to do but wait until the wheel bearing itself burns out even more (making louder noises) to the point where they can't deny that is the problem. FML.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Ugh we have all had those retarded service appointments :(. Hang in there.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the positive response. This sure does suck.

If it is in fact the wheel bearing it will get really loud... so there is no denying it anymore.

dasVW.com

Ready to race!
If it is in fact the wheel bearing it will get really loud... so there is no denying it anymore.

I'm just wondering how long it is going to take for it to go LOUD. Car just hit 8,000 miles. The last thing I want is for this to start to ruin my brand new tires.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'm just wondering how long it is going to take for it to go LOUD. Car just hit 8,000 miles. The last thing I want is for this to start to ruin my brand new tires.

It shouldn't ruin the tires until the very end stages of its life at which point you won't be able to drive the car safely. :laugh: So I wouldn't worry about that yet.