GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jerking, SW update 24W4 slows shifting

ericthered

Howdy,

My shifting is no longer crisp after a VW software update - beware if you care!

As our 2009 Rabbit got over 34K miles it started jerking/clunking a bit when shifting into 3rd and 4th gears, particularly on downshifts off the highway. This initially created pangs of worries about DSG mechatronic unit failure (but then I found out it was a regular 6sp auto transmission).

Inspection of the fluid showed no sign of particles, and no other suggestion that there was any out of the ordinary wear. So VW applied "Campaign 24W4" to fix our issue. I believe this included reflashing the transmission and engine control units in the Rabbit (sorry, I don't know what they are called in VW land - this is my wife's car).

When I drove the car afterwards, they did indeed get rid of the jerking/clunking. And the shifting is sooo smoooth - or said another way, shifting is no longer quick and crisp. Ugh.

So I thought maybe this only happens in "drive" mode, and maybe not in "Sport" mode. Wrong again! I loved the DSG's shifting - now I can relax while in Sport mode and just watch the RPMs oozily drop at each shift point. Bleh and Double Bleh :thumbdown:

We love the car, but this is a sad step away from farfegnugen - and I would rather have it reversed if the jerking causes no harm.

More importantly, there must be physical changes/wear in the transmission that caused the jerking, and making sloppy shifts is a nice way to hide it. But the wear must still be there. Anyone else see similar problems, or had this firmware update?

So now I have a sloppier transmission with some premature wear, and I want to figure a way to make this better.

Last edited:

ericthered

According to Wikipedia it looks like I am in the wrong forum... noob mistake - My 2009 rabbit is a MKV so I'll post there. Other car forums I am in organize by marque, and not by generation across a car maker's entire stable. (

But I expect these comments generally apply.

And why do VWforums.com say on the front page that a 2009 Rabbit is a NMK6?

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

ImmI

Ready to race!
According to Wikipedia it looks like I am in the wrong forum... noob mistake - My 2009 rabbit is a MKV so I'll post there. Other car forums I am in organize by marque, and not by generation across a car maker's entire stable. (

But I expect these comments generally apply.

And why do VWforums.com say on the front page that a 2009 Rabbit is a NMK6?

2009 was the first MY of the MK6 in the UK, 2010 in North America.

He drives a Rabbit....not a GTI. Rabbits do not have DSG

Yes I know that. On the other thread he's insisting he has a DSG lol so I thought maybe he had a GTI and posted in the wrong section lol

If he thinks he has DSG on his rabbit I don't know what he's smoking lol

iamgap

Ready to race!
Yes I know that. On the other thread he's insisting he has a DSG lol so I thought maybe he had a GTI and posted in the wrong section lol

If he thinks he has DSG on his rabbit I don't know what he's smoking lol

To his credit, I had a 2008 Rabbit "with a DSG". At least until I got hooked by the modding bug and started reading these forums. I was a noob, and quickly learned that the look about the same from the cockpit, but that's about it. I then had to go back to the dealership to train the salesman how to tell the difference between Tiptronics and DSG.

Now, they didn't sell me a DSG, they just kept calling it a DSG when I had the car in for the second tranny replacement in 15000 miles. That lemon is why I now have a MKVI. :)

It could be that his dealship is referring to his tranny as a DSG the same way mine was.

gap

ericthered

Yup, it is a standard Automatic... Sorry for all the confusion about the DSG.
I had thought otherwise. At least when I eventually go to change the fluid, it will be a lot simpler than for the DSG :)

Yup, I am a noob here.

This is about my wife's car just coming out of warranty, so now I need to actually pay attention. My wife did say the dealer did some mechanical adjustment first, then did the flash - I'll ask the dealer for certain if that did include anything on the transmission control unit.

Meanwhile, the transmission is definitely slower to shift - but of course I was paying a lot more attention after the car came back.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
The flash has nothing to do with the trans, it's a ECU for cold start issues. Also there is no mechanical adjustment involved in the flash or the trans.

The good news is on your car there should be a warranty extension on the valve body for the transmission