GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steelcurtain’s Build Thread

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Steelcurtain’s 3071 Build Thread

Car is getting dropped off on Saturday at New German Performance (NGP) in Lorton, VA for engine build and APR stage 3+ upgrade. Head build is delayed until further tuning options are available. Dyno runs will be posted once engine break-in is complete. Enjoy the eye candy.

Current Build
(Doesn’t include cosmetic and interior/exterior mods)

2009 (2008.5 build) VW MKV GTI TSI CCTA w/ DSG.

APR Stage 3 Turbo Kit – 2.0 TSI
APR FMIC
APR 3.0” RSC Exhaust
Carbonio Intake 2.0 TSI
Snow Performance Stage 2 Water Methanol Injection System
VF Engineering engine, transmission, dog bone mounts and insert.
BSH Throttle Body Pipe
AWE Tuning Turbo Outlet Pipe
HPA Stage 3 DSG Tune
Whiteline WALK
Peloquin LSD
FK Silverline X
BSH 27mm RSB
Stern sub-frame bar
StopTech 328mm BBK
StopTech steel lines front/rear
PowerSlot Slotted rear rotors
StopTech Street Pads (front)
Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads (rear)

Here’s what’s getting added.

-Integrated Engineering H-Beam Rods w/ ARP 2000 rod bolts
-JE forged pistons w/ tuff skirt and crown coating and JE rings (stock compression, bore, stroke)
-JE upgraded wrist pins
-Calico rod bearings
-ARP head studs -
-Balanced crank, rods, piston, pins
-APR Stage 3+ GT3071R Turbo
-APR injectors

Update **2/9/2012**

Here's some photos of the engine pulled. Head is getting pulled today. The turbo on the mani is still the 2860RS. It's up for sale. PM me if interested.

NGP is also updating their facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-German-Performance/116334850570

CYLS 1-4 Carbon buildup only after 10K miles w/ meth!! UFB

Track day write-up when I finally broke into the 11’s.

Here’s a thread to reference other TSI ¼ mile times.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4930783-Official-1-4th-Quarter-Mile-Drag-Strip-Times

All runs were performed at Maryland International Raceway on 10/23/2011 during a test and tune event from 11:30AM to 3:02 PM. Vehicle is my daily driver running APR’s production release TSI Stage 3 v2.0 93 octane tune. Fueling used was 104 octane w/ water meth injection. Engine has stock internals. Additional information is listed below.
The 3 runs listed below were performed with an hour cool down period between runs. Runs 2 & 3 were both at 11.78 (11.781 / 11.788) with trap speeds of 117.09 / 117.65.
My 4th run was the first round of a gamblers race where I ran my best time of 11.73@117.22. My dial-in time for the gamblers race was 11.70…but I still lost…barely…which ended my ability to run again that day.

Vehicle Weight / Fuel / Tires
3125 pounds including driver
260 GT Plus (104 (R+M)/2 -- 109 RON, 99 MON)
Single 375ml nozzle WMI pre-IAT 60/40 water/meth
Front: Hoosier DOT Drag Radial 225/45-17 on Enkei RPF1 (35# wheel/tire)
Rear: 18” Hartman Euromesh 4 on 225/45-18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (44# wheel/tire)

Weather / Conditions
Temperature was Mid 60’s *F with low humidity and 5-10mph winds.
Track prep was excellent

Track / Location
Maryland International Raceway @ Budds Creek, MD (www.mirdrag.com)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Maryl...y,+Budds+Creek+Road,+MD&radius=15000&t=m&z=10

Time Slip - Run 2 of 4

Time Slip - Run 3 of 4

Time Slip - Run 4 of 4

Last edited:

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
awesome build man! Cant wait to see how it turns out. I sent you a PM about the DSG software.

JP

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Well well well... Look what you just dropped in here. Wow! :eek:

Can't wait to see more man. :thumbsup:

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
awesome build man! Cant wait to see how it turns out. I sent you a PM about the DSG software.JP

Got it! I'll reply soon.

Well well well... Look what you just dropped in here. Wow! :eek:

Can't wait to see more man. :thumbsup:

Here you go!

The build has officially started!

*Updates*

I'll be refreshing with new spark plugs (copper BOSCH for meth), OEM main bearings, OEM rear main seal, OEM main studs. I'm also ditching the OEM D diverter valve. Even though the boost is lowered in 3+, the OEM valve was fluttering at boost levels in the 20's with stage 3. (especially 4th gear). I'll be going back to a Forge w/ yellow spring.

Unfortunately, IE doesn't provide a calico coated race main bearing yet for the TSI. This bearing is 3mm difference in size than what's in the EA113 engine (I believe smaller but don't quote me). This is what IE told me this week.

NGP will be providing me with pictures of their progress. I'll be updating this thread with the pics as often as I can throughout the week. :cool:

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
What's your goal with the new setup? Low 11s? Surely not....10s?!?

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
The goal was 10's but the 3+ is not putting down what was advertised so we'll see what the additional 85whp can do for the times. I got a few other tricks up my sleeve too.

Halvie

WOOSA
Exactly, hell Branman hit 119 in his k04 at Cecil without meth.

Is it wrong that I think that has something to do with it, or is he just that good of a driver?

Guess just looking at all of the recent BT fsi thread...seems sort of unlikely unless you are running the 100 tune.

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Is it wrong that I think that has something to do with it, or is he just that good of a driver?

Guess just looking at all of the recent BT fsi thread...seems sort of unlikely unless you are running the 100 tune.

Probably a little of both. I know he can drive so you don't want to take any credit from him.

I wasn't even considering the 93 tune given it is slower than what I'm running now.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
The goal was 10's but the 3+ is not putting down what was advertised so we'll see what the additional 85whp can do for the times. I got a few other tricks up my sleeve too.

You could do some serious weight reduction maybe try to get under 3k lbs?

JP