GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Excessive oil blow by when using R-comps?

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
So I'm going to be running r-comps this season and remembered (after I ordered everything of course) about this thread

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17181&highlight=oil+smoke+track

That happened there was under high G corners the car would blow oil through the PCV system into the intake stream, through the turbo and get burned up in the motor and blow smoke everywhere....

This has me worried. Can any one else who has run r-comps confirm whether they have experienced this (PandaGTI, Gunkata etc..).

Any more info on the fix?

staynhome29

Ready to race!
I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm on RS-3s (currently) and I can tell you they have just about as much grip as NT-01 or R888s.

Not sure which R comps you're on though....

Once in a while I go to Autoclub Speedway (a real NASCAR road course oval with a technical infield). The banked oval produces massive Gs. I've never had a problem.

I don't think enough people have had problems with that for it to be a worry.

Just go out and have fun!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
No issues yet, but I did just get RE-11's, so not R comps, but getting close. My first track day with them is coming up in a few weeks. I will report back if anything arises.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm on RS-3s (currently) and I can tell you they have just about as much grip as NT-01 or R888s.

Not sure which R comps you're on though....

Once in a while I go to Autoclub Speedway (a real NASCAR road course oval with a technical infield). The banked oval produces massive Gs. I've never had a problem.

I don't think enough people have had problems with that for it to be a worry.

Just go out and have fun!

Good to know thanks, I was on star specs last year without issue moving to NT01s this year :D

No issues yet, but I did just get RE-11's, so not R comps, but getting close. My first track day with them is coming up in a few weeks. I will report back if anything arises.

Awesome thanks!

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I get huge amounts of oil in my catch can during HPDEs on the Big Track at Willow Springs, and I'm on Star Specs. My Forge has a 30 fl. oz. canister and I can pretty much fill it in one 20 minute track session.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
I get huge amounts of oil in my catch can during HPDEs on the Big Track at Willow Springs, and I'm on Star Specs. My Forge has a 30 fl. oz. canister and I can pretty much fill it in one 20 minute track session.

I was there and I've seen it. Cleaning out the catch can, and filling in the car with more oil lol. I'm sure with that with R compounds it will probably be the same.. Just check the can.

Deaks2

Ready to race!
Solution: slow down ;)

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
This scares me... :yikes: This makes me want to go get a catch can before I hit the track..

I wouldn't worry about it if you haven't gone to the track before or if you're not running some sticky tires.... I was running Star Specs last year at the track without issue.

And I may not run into any issues with the NT01s, but we'll see.

staynhome29

Ready to race!
Try RS3s next time.

They don't last as long as star specs but they grip closer to entry level R comp levels of grip.

You can drive to and from the track as well.

NT01 are great but they seem to cord pretty fast.

I tried Hankook Z214 and those are NICE r comps. Super sticky.

R888s suck in my opinion. Its the same compound as NT01 but crappier tread.

Honestly I don't think you would shave more than 1.00 seconds on NT01 and R888 over the Starspecs on a 2 minute road course. I think the Starspec is a fantastic tire nonetheless but I'm a Hankook fanboy now. =)

RS3 has almost the same characteristic as the two r comp tires above. It allows your car to slide a little more before it hooks up for ultimate grip. I'm 2 seconds faster than the Star Specs on RS3 at Buttonwillow Raceway in Bakersfield, CA. When I tried NT01 and R888 last year, i was running about the same time as I am now on street tires. I hate switching wheels too. I do want to mention that I'm almost 1.5 seconds faster with Hankook Z214 than I am with RS3s.

But the information is hard to analyze because I feel I have really advanced in driving skill the past 2 HPDEs.

Whatever it is that use, make sure to do a proper heat cycle or you will ruin the life of your tire.

Be smooth = be fast. Have fun!

RS3 = bargain street tire
NT01 = bargain r comp

For the price, I don't think you can beat RS3 performance.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
This is a nice extreme performance/ R compound tires threat,

How come no one talk about the Michelin Pilot super sport ? I loved them a bit more that the Dunlops star spec but im curious about the RS3, do u guys think that those tires beat the Michelin?

staynhome29

Ready to race!
This is a nice extreme performance/ R compound tires threat,

How come no one talk about the Michelin Pilot super sport ? I loved them a bit more that the Dunlops star spec but im curious about the RS3, do u guys think that those tires beat the Michelin?

Michellin PSS is a good street tire but doesn't compare to Starspecs or RS3s on the track.

Starspecs, RS3, AD08, RE11 are at the upper echelon of street performance tires.

Michellin PSS is one notch down. (in terms of ultimate performance)