GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI Video and photos on track

dowright82

WRX Convert

Just finished running about 40 laps around a 1.8 mile road course here in Nashville TN . . .

My car: 2010 2 Door White GTI 6-speed

Bone stock except for

Hawk HP+ Pads (amazing)
TRMotorsports MT-1 17x8 Wheels
Bridgestone RE50 225/45/17 (140 treadwear)

Let me first say I've driven MANY cars hard (WRX, 911 turbo, Legacy GT, Mustang GT, Mercedes 320 kompressor, mercedes sl500 amg)

My impressions of our cars on a track:

AMAZING.

1) XDS is phenomenal, I don't care what you've heard or who you have heard it from

2) Our suspension STOCK is absolutely WONDERFUL on a track. VW got it RIGHT this time. This track was VERY dynamic with lots of off-camber turns, 2 hairpins, and a long straight where I reached about 118-120 before braking for hard left.

3) Even though I only had about 2600 miles on the car, I did NOT take it easy. Once I figured out optimum tire pressures, my car was truly overtaking much more (should have been) capable cars, including my good friends TRACK-PREPPED integra type-r (i'm not lying, he had to let me pass twice and has MUCH more track experience than me)

4) Some cars in my 2 heats (i raced in two because I was the official photographer) Dodge Viper, Mazda RX-7 (track prepped, and one of the few cars i had to let pass), Honda s2000 (very fast, lots of mods), bmw 2002, TWO e46 m3s (couldn't keep up, probably due to drivers, but I'm not sure), Supercharged 2000 mustang GT (continued to slow me down and be an ass until I finally changed heats)

5) The lightweight wheels and aggressive tires no doubt, helped me a lot, but I want you to know that anyone who says these cars need Big Brake Upgrades if full of sh*t. I was putting this car though tougher braking scenarios than i've ever put through a car (WITH STOCK FLUID) and my HP+ pads NEVER ONCE showed signs of fade. Our vented front rotors do the job just fine!!

6) Track your car. You will NEVER fall more in love with it.

In car VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MQpRkNbj2g

Also some pics: LOTS MORE ON THE WAY - - - -

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Sweet, I'm curious why you had the window open? Was it a track rule?
For hand signals and to hear the engine, of course. ;)

Beautiful pictures, and count me in as jealous.

It's the same for autocross, and I hope to have pictures up by next week since I'm going on Sunday.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Awesome post! I'd love to get into racing but $$$$$$$

ch1pman

Passed Driver's Ed
niiiiiiiice!

that looks really fun...omfg...

theres a place here that is an instructional race facility, run by an ex ferrari racer name Bill Dollahite -- I think your video just broke the camels back for me ...I have to go now..

Heres a link to the place I'm talking about -- its worth a peruse:
http://www.drivewayaustin.com/
:thumbup:

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
BTW, you may want to consider blurring out people's license plates when you post their pictures on the internet. I personally wouldn't care, but some people are anal about it, and are worried about insurance agents (or whomever) scouring the internet looking for pictures and revoking coverages, etc...

HipMkV

Ready to race!

mikochu

boogerface
Thanks for your post, dowright82. I'm taking my car autocrossing on Sunday and your post was very informative and appreciated.