GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Powdercoating weakens wheels?

JeremiahIsaiah

Go Kart Champion

^The color I want to do, Kawasaki green.

Whats up guys, I have a set of Kosei K1 Racing wheels that I want to get powdercoated, (Kawasaki green). Anyways I hear conflicting replies from friends, some say powdercoating weakens the wheels while others say the process wont? I am not looking to have my wheels painted, I have seen some examples of powdercoated wheels and the finish/durability is hard to beat. Also some say its bad for forged wheels but okay for cast wheels? Your knowledgeable input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Fastball

Ready to race!
Powder coating is a heat treatment that bonds the color to the metal. The temperature needed is about 450 degrees F. Powder coated metals also have a tendency to retain heat rather than dissapating it much like chrome does. Kind of like why you don't see many chrome wheels on NASCAR cars. But I digress, 450 F shouldn't hurt anything. Hell my favorite pizza place cooks pizza in a 650 degree oven and they turn out okay!

colslaw87

Ready to race!
The heat wont damage your wheels, nor will the powder coating materials.

The only thing I would question would be the strength of the cured coating. Certain coating processes do not work well with particular types of metal that are under stress. For instance, metals with a high magnesium content could interfere with the bonding process, especially if the metal is put under stress. Torsion could cause the plating to crack off...(or so I've heard)

But with other types of powdercoating, the curing process actually changes the surface of the metal on a molecular level. So, I'm not sure how a cured coating would break.

StayStetti

Banned
Heating definitely CAN compromise the structure of your wheels. If they do it right it will be perfectly fine though strength wise.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Depends on what grade of aluminum and the manufacturing process. If it gets hot enough you can maybe revert some heat treatment that was done for the wheel during manufacturing....I don't think its the same case to case, different wheel can have different build, and different PC process are conducted differently also...

OldDirty

Ready to race!
If you are going for an OEM type silver look when refinishing wheels, do most people essentially use paint with clear? Are most OEM wheels from the factory paint with clear, or are they powdercoat?

StayStetti

Banned
If you are going for an OEM type silver look when refinishing wheels, do most people essentially use paint with clear? Are most OEM wheels from the factory paint with clear, or are they powdercoat?

Yeah. Silver doesn't powdercoat well at all.

staynhome29

Ready to race!
Go to a good powder coater that uses good material and has a controlled oven that bakes it at no more than 400F for more than 40 minutes.

The metallurgy will change when you powder coat due to the heat applied to the aluminum. However, if done right, it won't change enough to affect the structural integrity of the wheel.

Media blasting your finish also causes more harm than say a low temp acid bath to strip your finish.

Whatever you do, don't powder coat the hub area. (the flat part attached to the hub and the holes.) Your wheel can come off in say a track type environment.

Just go to a PC'er that works with lots of wheel distributors.

And I hope your car is a show or race car if you're painting it green. You will get rolled by 5-0 for being flashy. Use your head before picking color lol.

Good luck.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Powder coating is a heat treatment that bonds the color to the metal. The temperature needed is about 450 degrees F. Powder coated metals also have a tendency to retain heat rather than dissapating it much like chrome does. Kind of like why you don't see many chrome wheels on NASCAR cars. But I digress, 450 F shouldn't hurt anything. Hell my favorite pizza place cooks pizza in a 650 degree oven and they turn out okay!

Go to a good powder coater that uses good material and has a controlled oven that bakes it at no more than 400F for more than 40 minutes.

The metallurgy will change when you powder coat due to the heat applied to the aluminum. However, if done right, it won't change enough to affect the structural integrity of the wheel.

Media blasting your finish also causes more harm than say a low temp acid bath to strip your finish.

Whatever you do, don't powder coat the hub area. (the flat part attached to the hub and the holes.) Your wheel can come off in say a track type environment.

Just go to a PC'er that works with lots of wheel distributors.

And I hope your car is a show or race car if you're painting it green. You will get rolled by 5-0 for being flashy. Use your head before picking color lol.

Good luck.

agree with both :thumbsup:

Keep in mind some manufacturers (BBS) don't allow powder coating (part of TÜV certificate).