GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MkVI vs 370Z

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I know this is almost like comparing apples and oranges but...

Just wondered what you guys thought about the option of a 370Z over a GTI. A one year old used one costs about what a new GTI with most options does, maybe a little more. Pros and cons vs a GTI:

Pros:
Monster 330hp V6
RWD
Better predicted reliability
Only 200 lbs heavier

Cons:
No back seat
Minimal trunk space
Less features than GTI @ same price point

What do you think? Just lookin for opinions :fighting0030:

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Aside from price they really don't have too much in common...

mk6 gti

Ready to race!
The 370z looks like a catfish...:(

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
The 370z looks like a catfish...:(

krische

vdubber in training
It really depends on what you want. The two are aimed at accomplishing two separate things.

The 370Z is a heavily performance oriented car. Meanwhile the GTI is fun to drive daily driver.

foobert

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't driven the 370, but my wife's '05 350Z Roadster wasn't all I thought it'd be. HORRENDOUS gas mileage, un-remarkable handling, graunchy 6sp, and all the groans, creaks, and rattles you'd expect from a car that was engineered as a coupe first and convertible as an afterthought. That said, everything I've read about the 370's improvements makes me think it's worth a drive when the lease on her current S2K is up next year. As LittleJohny mentioned, it doesn't have much in common w/the GTI except that they both have 2-door models. Drive one and let us know what you think!

Alex.

Ready to race!
They are completely different cars. The 370z being the better sports car. Although, I find the 370z to look horrible.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
I've test driven a 6spd 370Z, only reason I'm not driving one is the price. It's loud, rough(er than a 350), it's got kidney pounding power, and it sounds amazing. I can compare the power to that of a e46 m3. Simply a brilliant car. Only problem is that for the Sport Package your already near 40. If you can find a slightly used one for a good price I say go for it.

Last edited:

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Yeah the 370Z has not swayed me from the GTI, but its hard to ignore what its capable of, and for the money. I think I actually like the looks of the 350 better.. the new one looks a little too nissan-y if that makes sense. Not as classic looking but more extreme and japanese-y. Plus, you'd have to go with the one up from the base model, because it adds a LSD, the new syncro match tranny, sport brakes, and 19's. At that point you're out of the GTI price range and still lacking some of the amenities of the GTI.

I'll prob stick to the original plan... enjoy a GTI for a while, and when I have more income I'll get a truck for utility and a legit sports car to have fun in. GTI is the best mix of the two I can find, with a slight sports car bias ;)

Antero128

Ready to race!
I really dont think you will be unhappy with a GTI. My 2 final choices while I was car shopping was a G37SX sedan and the GTI. I drove both, hands down the GTI is a funner, more practical, and more economical car. Not to mention the transmission in the Infiniti is trash compared to the DSG.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
One more selling point for the GTI.... and I suppose your sig says it best...

"you could get the fuck out of some groceries in that thing"

:laugh:

scbastv

Ready to race!
Im just mirroring others here but, all depends on what is most important to you and how much you want to spend.

I will say this...allbeit the 370z is faster than the GTI...so was my last car and while I do miss the speed...the interior and the "fun-to-drive-ness" of the GTI (which is weird and hard to explain cause one would think that a faster car is more fun to drive...) makes me glad I have the GTI. Plus theres always mods to make the car faster, and if i read right, for the 40k youd spend on a 370z vs what youd spend on a GTI...well, thats alot of $$$ to play with for mods:D

Not sure if this helps any...but...good luck;)

sweetsandman

Ready to race!
Uhh...do you ever haul anything larger than a shoe-box...do you bowl?...golf?? If so...go with the GTI...if you want a car that is strictly performance oriented and not nearly as economical...go with the Z. The Z will out maneuver and outrun a GTI all day long on the tracks...but for the ride home...the Z driver will wish he had the GTI. My sister has a 350Z and yes it is an extremely nice, great sounding, fun car...but she was always asking to borrow other people's cars when she needed to haul people or things..so she was forced to buy a second vehicle just for regular usage. Z cars just seem, to me, to be more of a toy than a daily driver.

Alex.

Ready to race!
When I first got my GTI, I did not have too much fun with it, but now that I have the APR Stage 1, its almost like a different car. So you kind of have to take that into account as well.

panthrax

Passed Driver's Ed
I have both and have considered these 2 together like you have when I first set out to get a spare car. I do agree that the GTI is a better daily companion but in the twisties, the z is a better handler, and more fun. I got the z first and then months later the MKVI. I havent regretted either of them. It depends what you want but after back-to-back driving them, I just love the N/A kick of the Z compared to the slightly laggy turbo GTI. but I'm glad I have both..