GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Major Transmission Issues, car just dropped off at the dealer

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I've been having major issues with the tranny since a week after acquiring my GTI, it literally doesn't go into gear 5 and 6 times a day. 2nd gear does it the most often, I've almost gotten hit merging under heavy accel because it wouldn't change gear and I couldn't speed up. at a traffic light a few weeks ago it took me 6 attempts to get into 1st... WTF the car has 1900 miles on it lol. I know buying a manual you expect it to happen periodically but it happens to me way too much...

I just dropped the car off at the dealer, when I find out what the hell is going on I'll post. Hopefully I'm not sitting on a lemon...

any thoughts on what might be wrong?

UPDATE:

multiple guys over the past few days at the dealer drove it. none of them had a problem. typical. what. the hell. I don't know what to do...

Last edited:

Wood

Ready to race!
Have you looked at the shifter end links? It's possible one of them broke or is not set properly. This would explain the car not getting into gear...

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Yes, it will not go into the gear gate. Its at the dealer now so hopefully they will look at the linkages.

raaalph

Ready to race!
Have you looked at the shifter end links? It's possible one of them broke or is not set properly. This would explain the car not getting into gear...

This sounds like the first thing to check. I had similar issues (trouble getting into 1st/ 2nd) after installing my S3 short shifter. I had to get the shifter into the home position and reset the end links, after which everything worked fine.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
This sounds like the first thing to check. I had similar issues (trouble getting into 1st/ 2nd) after installing my S3 short shifter. I had to get the shifter into the home position and reset the end links, after which everything worked fine.

I know, for some reason it didn't cross my mind :iono:... but its out of my hands now, thats a simple fix so hopefully its the problem. no updates from the dealer yet but I have a feeling you guys are right about the linkage needing adjustments. still, shouldn't they have been in right the first time? the car is almost new, it seems a little ridiculous to me that something so vital needs to be addressed this early in the life of the car. but maybe I'm just a bitch about cars.

3ics

Ready to race!
I assume you bought the car new, so you should be covered under your warranty. You said you have had this issue since the week after you purchased it - is this the first time you have brought it to the dealer?

Good luck.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Yes it is covered under warranty, it got progressively worse since the beginning... I mentioned it to the dealer a few times when it happened sparsely but recently it became horrible and I've had enough. the damn car has 1900 miles and if its something serious I might consider making them buy it back...

raaalph

Ready to race!
still, shouldn't they have been in right the first time? the car is almost new, it seems a little ridiculous to me that something so vital needs to be addressed this early in the life of the car.

Yeah, on a brand new car the dealer should definitely be fixing this. My problem was the result of me f-ing with my car, so that was on me :D

fredf

Go Kart Champion
the damn car has 1900 miles and if its something serious I might consider making them buy it back...

Hold up there a minute. I sympathize with the fact that you have a problem in a new car. That sucks.

But where do you get off saying 'making them buy it back'?

Sorry, but that's completely absurd. It is likely a minor fix, under warranty and you're good to go. They aren't buying your car back.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Hold up there a minute. I sympathize with the fact that you have a problem in a new car. That sucks.

But where do you get off saying 'making them buy it back'?

Sorry, but that's completely absurd. It is likely a minor fix, under warranty and you're good to go. They aren't buying your car back.

It was an exaggeration.... chill....

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I do hope its something small... I haven't had it for 2 days and I'm already feeling serious withdrawal...