GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How did you break in your engine?

What was your break-in style?

• Hard (redline off the lot!)

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Moderate (~4000 rpm, 80% ish throttle?)

Votes: 59 62.8%
  • Soft (no more than 3000 rpm, half throttle)

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Obviously this is a controversial topic, but I'd like to hear both sides. :23:

Keep it clean guys! :fighting0030:

Antero128

Ready to race!
Kept it below 4000RPM until 600 miles. Varied the RPM's after 600 miles all over the place till 1000 miles. Now I just drive normally. :)

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
First 300 were "highway" and was forced to do a bit of back road thanks to a bad crash on my way home. Two days later took the girlfriend on a long stretch of back roads and through it through some curves, little bit of a WOT, but a lot more engine braking.

Varying the load and letting the car heat cycle are important to making sure the rings seat nicely. It's been said that cars that were broken in like fairly hard use less oil but I haven't seen any facts. I come from a motocross crowd and we tend to break them in like we ride them.

Besides I don't think I could do anymore damage than when people test drive a brand new car and romp on it before it's even close to operating temps.

JhnR

Banned
WORD

carlos33018

Ready to race!
Pedal to the metal on all the cars I've owned since day 1. Never had an issue during break in, the Evo I tracked every weekend and turned out to be a factory freak lol. 355 awhp 380 awtq, with tune/ cams.
2004 RSX -S
2006 Lancer Evolution
2010 Golf Mk6 Gti.
Never had an issue during break in.

And unless you ordered your car, do you really think they kept it in the back behind a glass box ? Trust me every single person that test drove Ragged it out, including mine =).

Last edited:

spretsnijev

Passed Driver's Ed
Pedal to the metal on all the cars I've owned since day 1. Never had an issue during break in, the Evo I tracked every weekend and turned out to be a factory freak lol. 355 awhp 380 awtq, with tune/ cams.
2004 RSX -S
2006 Lancer Evolution
2010 Golf Mk6 Gti.
Never had an issue during break in.

And unless you ordered your car, do you really think they kept it in the back behind a glass box ? Trust me every single person that test drove Ragged it out, including mine =).

Haha, so true... i bet mine had some 'hard' 88 first miles before i gently took it home... :rolleyes:

PDXGTI1

As my GTI was driven 200 or miles from Seattle or Portland, down a wide open stretch of I-5 on a sunny day, I have no doubt that it was driven like it was meant to be. If I were a VW shop tech sent to retrieve a GTI and spend a day on the road, I'd sure make it worth my time! :D

That being said - I plan to go easy on it for the next 600 miles or so. Some variation but no prolonged WOT - unless provoked. ;)

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
And unless you ordered your car, do you really think they kept it in the back behind a glass box ?

I did order it.

Although I would suspect that the engine would have been WOT'd both at the factory and during PDI. I worked for Toyota and that was the case with the Rav4 at the factory, so I would suspect for a more performance-oriented car like the GTI, they would definitely test it before leaving the factory.

bludool

Passed Driver's Ed
Drove it like I stole it. 4500 miles hasn't burned any oil. Runs great. This is the way I have treated all my new cars. Drive them hard, they run hard. Drive them soft and, well you know....

krische

vdubber in training
I plan to break mine in the same way I plan to drive it, like I stole it.

Also, I agree on what everyone else has said about test drives. I highly doubt the people that test drove it before you were nice to it.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Had 9 miles on it when I got it turned off traction control at the delivery center parking lot and smoked them leaving. I have 3 pretty big round abouts in a row in front of my development and floor it going around them everytime. I have had it for a month and have 4600 miles on it yet I only live 8 miles from work