GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil analysis back..

FN in MT

Ready to race!
I got my Blackstone Labs alalysis today as a PDF file. For some reason I can't cut/paste it here. Any ideas??

Anyway...nothing out of the ordinary for a new engine, still breaking in.

The interesting figure was the 4.3 for the TBN or Total Base Number...meaning the LIFE left in the oil. That 4.3 means I still have quite a bit of life left in the additives allowing for a slightly longer interval between changes.

I changed this factory oil out at 5K so it could have gone 7500 or 8000?? Any Blackstone sample Veterans feel free to add your thoughts.

I added Mobil 1 and will send in a sample in 5K miles at the free from VW change.

FN in MT

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
VW might not be so far off on that 10k change then...!

Try taking a screenshot of the PDF, saving it as a JPG, then posting it to imgur or another image sharing service.

edgary

Ready to race!
Thanks for the update. It does look like it's going to be a 10K oil change interval for me, at least for the first one while breaking in.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Thanks a lot for posting this FN in MT. I was looking forward to it.

If you want you can send me an email with the picture or pdf file and I can host it and post it here for everyone to see/download. Just send me a PM.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
FN in MT has sent me the file and I am now hosting the pdf file for you guys to download freely. I also took a screenshot of it so that I could embed it here for easy viewing however, the pdf might be easier to read.

Link to the 2010 GTI MKVI Oil Analysis PDF File

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Question... how can you determine how much life the oil had left using the TBN number? Is there a table or some formula that lets you determine how many more miles the oil would have been good for?

FN in MT

Ready to race!
If I had sent in a sample of virgin oil...or knew WHAT the VW oil was...they can give you a base number for that brand/viscosity.

Say the base start was 12. At my 5K a remaining life of 4.3 would show quite a bit of life left...so I could extend my OCI (oil change interval).

I'm sure there are others here far more familiar with these results and the TBN issue. I'd bet they will chime in. I may post over on the Bob is the Oil Guy forum to learn more.

THANKS Hugo!!

FN in MT

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Hey FN in MT... how long did it take for them to get results back to you? When did you send in your sample?

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'd say that looks pretty damn good. Do it again at 10k and we should get a good read on how long you can really go between changes - I'm guessing 8k is a good number.

I'll have my oil changed at 5kish anyway, then have the dealer do it at 10-11k. By then enough people should have blackstoned to get a good idea how long you can really go!

Definitely post it over at BITOG - those guys know their shiz! (or at least pretend to!)

Last edited:

JackReacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Post it over at BITOG for a more detailed analysis. Looks good to me for the most part, but I don't know that this is a representative UOA simply because IIRC this was mostly highway (long trip right?) and the DI engines usually suffer more dilution and shear when the majority of driving is around town.

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
FN in MT, did you change your oil or just take a little out to get tested?