GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R Intake Thread: Log 'em if you got 'em!

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Hey gang, just figured I'd share some knowledge and continue what was started in the Vortex R forum.

Here is a 20 page thread of Vortexer's showing their logs from all sorts of different intakes...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Issues/page20

Here is the cliff notes (thank you ThatVdub):

"Would stay away from these for now (until fix)
1) Wintake
2) VWR-Fix imminent!

Twintake - usually higher than 10%, but flows very well, just not metered ideally.

Carbonio- seems fine/safe, but not ideal for stage2+, MAF values not very strong, but FT's are fine.
Volant - seems fine/safe
EVOMS - seems good/safe
CTS - seems good/safe
Neuspeed - seems good/safe, not one complaint, many owners

Injen - TBD (so hold off, until there is at least one good log)"

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Since my sig may change over time I'll note that these logs were run APR Stage 1+ with HPFP (re-build) and Carbonio Intake.

block 032 read +1.8 (idle) and +3.5 (partial).

A helluva lot better than I was seeing when I was Unitronic Stage 1+ and no intake!

Now for the good stuff. I did two third gear pulls. One was APR Round 3 and the other I just started checking boxes in the adv. measuring blocks screen in vcds (I forget which is which). I also hid the time stamps to reduce clutter and make the images less busy.

Also note that fuel cut was hit in between the last two data points, so the last data point probably could have been left out but I showed it anyway so others could see that I did hit redline but lack of turbo mode with the micro-can really limits data sampling rates. I know that APR has a trick for getting more data points (I even shared that in a different post somewhere) but either it really didn't help or you need to do that trick every time you open vcds... not sure which is the case yet.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
FWIW, I can get 30+ frames per pull using Microcan by using the trick that APR lists on their website for increased resolution. When gathering values to measure, you want to strategically pick as many from 1 block as possible. Every block has 4 values, I try to find a block that has 3-4 of the values I need and never more than 3 seperate blocks at a time per log. Before doing the pull, try to get a rate above 2.5-3.0 frames per second.

Side note, your car looks very healthy! Seems that APR has suited your car well, must be nice having confidence in driveability and reliability again. I knew you'd be happy with your switch.

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
Update on Intakes. Arin at APR worked with VWR to figure out what was causing the high trims. VWR discovered that sometime along the way the thickness of the back pipe near the MAF section changed from earlier revisions... (thanks to the issue being called to his attention in the vortex thread referenced in the first post:thumbsup:)

What happen to all that " extensive testing and Engineering " From both APR and VWR ? Just another rebranded product to sell and produce revenue , plain and simple. Bob. G.

xxmagnusxx

Ready to race!
Hey gang, just figured I'd share some knowledge and continue what was started in the Vortex R forum.

Here is a 20 page thread of Vortexer's showing their logs from all sorts of different intakes...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-Issues/page20

Here is the cliff notes (thank you ThatVdub):

"Would stay away from these for now (until fix)
1) Wintake
2) VWR-Fix imminent!

Twintake - usually higher than 10%, but flows very well, just not metered ideally.

Carbonio- seems fine/safe, but not ideal for stage2+, MAF values not very strong, but FT's are fine.
Volant - seems fine/safe
EVOMS - seems good/safe
CTS - seems good/safe
Neuspeed - seems good/safe, not one complaint, many owners

Injen - TBD (so hold off, until there is at least one good log)"

What intake is ideal for stage 2+?

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
What happen to all that " extensive testing and Engineering " From both APR and VWR ? Just another rebranded product to sell and produce revenue , plain and simple. Bob. G.

It was totally fixed in less than a week and that's pretty quick for the aftermarket. It worked beautifully originally but the materials changed somewhere along the way and it got revised.

CornRecce

Passed Driver's Ed
So, are there going to be replacement parts sent to all the people that shelled out some serious scratch for the VWR CAI?

RRacerguy717

Go Kart Champion
It was totally fixed in less than a week and that's pretty quick for the aftermarket. It worked beautifully originally but the materials changed somewhere along the way and it got revised.

If in fact it was ONLY a material change and APR has exclusive agreement with VWR ,who allowed and signed off on this manufacturing change ? Looking at pic's for the first time of the VWR cai the maf placement dosnt look ideal for steady flow with no turbulence just before rubber 90 coupling IMO, but without logs of before and after MAF readings to see if they mimic each other I would be just guessing. Bob. G

08CW R32

Ready to race!
My understanding from a very high end performance shop is that the fuel trim levels are not so bad with cars that have HPFP installed are showing much safer logs. But glad that APR worked with VWR to solve the issue for everyone.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
If in fact it was ONLY a material change and APR has exclusive agreement with VWR ,who allowed and signed off on this manufacturing change ? Looking at pic's for the first time of the VWR cai the maf placement dosnt look ideal for steady flow with no turbulence just before rubber 90 coupling IMO, but without logs of before and after MAF readings to see if they mimic each other I would be just guessing. Bob. G

I don't know the whole situation, just that over time the MAF became out of its optimum zone for whatever reason. It was brought to their attention and subsequently fixed in a hurry.

They owned up to it, fixed it and warrantied it... Don't know what more you could ask for given the situation.

ian dummy

Ready to race!
I don't know the whole situation, just that over time the MAF became out of its optimum zone for whatever reason. It was brought to their attention and subsequently fixed in a hurry.

They owned up to it, fixed it and warrantied it... Don't know what more you could ask for given the situation.

I'm one of the customers who filed a log with the high fuel trims to APR wityh a VWR intake. I am waiting to hear back from them about a warranty replacement. I will post and let you all know what happens.

hurdy

Go Kart Champion
So what is the highest g/s anyone has had on the R still running a K04?

Mine runs a solid 295-296g/s max without any fuel trim issues and an consistent AFR of 12.5.

Edit - I'm running an Evoms intake with a dry filter