GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: deAutoKey leather red stitch shift boot

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
Here is the link to the item I am reviewing.
http://www.deautokey.com/product/red-stitch-shift-boot-cover-matches-interior-leather
The leather looked great. The red stitching stands out and matches the oem red stitching on the steering wheel etc.

Push on the 8 tabs underneath to release the shift boot from the trim.

Remove the plastic ring surrounding the bottom of the shift boot to release the shift knob from the boot.

Remove the staples on the bottom on the boot to remove it from the interior trim ring.

The shift boots side by side prior to install.

Insert the trim ring into the new boot until you get it where you want it.

Begin by putting new staples into the new shift boot to hold it in place.

Cut the corners into slits to ensure the boot fits tightly.

Click the plastic ring back on to the bottom of the shift knob once you insert it into the new boot to hold it in place.

Snap the shift boot assembly back into the exterior trim ring with the 8 tabs.

Finished product. It was night when I got it done so I will have to take and post better pictures during the day here in the next day or so. My opinion is it looks great. It is a lot better than the syn leather that the car comes with. A great option to go with if you want real leather. It is also quite a bit thicker than the stock shift boot so it feels better and looks cleaner.

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
Sorry I posted in wrong section. Mods can you please move to DIY section. Thanks

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
Here are some daytime pictures that are better than the ones I took last night.

Last edited:

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
Doesn't the GTI come with red stitching on the shift boot already?

trigger_storey

Ready to race!
Yes it does. I traded out with a TDI awhile back and decided I wanted something with red stitching again but not the garbage oem synthetic crap they put in. I also didn't want anything suede. This one worked out perfect because the leather is really nice, thick, and soft. So it bends easily for my shifter being so much shorter than stock. Perfect match if someone is looking for something with better quality as well as it looks a lot better. They also have a matching e brake handle I just purchased so I have the quality leather on both pieces.

Ma bell

Passed Driver's Ed
What kind of staples/ stapler did you use to attach the leather? Just a regular ole swingline or like a heavy duty job?

Ma bell

Passed Driver's Ed
You could get away with regular staples from my experience.

You just need to get a tight fit.

Thanks

I ended up using the leather itself- I stretched over the trim ring, fashioned "tabs" out of the leather, and made small slits in the leather tabs, then stretched them over the retaining clips of the inner trim ring. They secured the boot and allowed the inner ring to latch, securing the boot itself and the inner trim ring to the console shifter trim. For whatever reason, no staples of and kind would drive through the plastic/hold the boot on. This worked. I did break the inner trim ring, but the tension and some plastic welder epoxy have righted that. Boot looks great with my new Forge shift knob.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I ended up using the leather itself- I stretched over the trim ring, fashioned "tabs" out of the leather, and made small slits in the leather tabs, then stretched them over the retaining clips of the inner trim ring. They secured the boot and allowed the inner ring to latch, securing the boot itself and the inner trim ring to the console shifter trim. For whatever reason, no staples of and kind would drive through the plastic/hold the boot on. This worked. I did break the inner trim ring, but the tension and some plastic welder epoxy have righted that. Boot looks great with my new Forge shift knob.

Thanks, another great tip.

If you have the patience and follow this DIY, this is a very nice piece for your car, I have sold a lot since the DIY, so I think people really need to see it to understand it as I am the same way.

Thanks

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
so will this fit with the oem shifter? I see that on the website that it only works with the shifter that OP has.

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
Post a picture, the issue is that this might not fit if it isn't the same measurements as the shifter that is pictured above.

It is the stock MK6 GTI shifter. Here is a pic

uploadfromtaptalk1370115099706.jpg

If the top end of the boot is to small that is fine I can trim to fit. If it is to big then I don't know how to work around that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
It is the stock MK6 GTI shifter. Here is a pic

View attachment 32913

If the top end of the boot is to small that is fine I can trim to fit. If it is to big then I don't know how to work around that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

That will work, as you see in the DIY, you just have to staple it on the other side and make it smaller, should work fine.

:thumbsup: