GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Checking TSI timing chain tensioner without open the metal cover.

spalanca

Hello!
A friend of mine went to the dealer to fix the infamous rattle noise.
Of course he had to replace tensioner and chain + other parts...

However, the point is that at VW service they managed to quickly check if the tensioner was faulty without open the metallic cover or remove any parts. How did they managed to do this?

Apparently they opened the little round lid that is made of rubber/plastic and is positioned in front of the tensioner.(Sorry i don't know how to name it properly in technical english)

It seems that you can check if your tensioner is still working properly or if it caused chain stretching.

I report here what VW service said to my friend:
"The old tensioner (my '09/'10) has marks on itself. if you open this "checking lid" and look inside with a little mirror you can count the marks.
If you can count 4 or more marks, then your chain is probably stretched and/or the tensioner doesn't work properly anymore and need complete service."
This may be also the reason why at some time the GTI makes awful noise at cold start.

I tried at home to open this little lid and check the status of my tensioner, but had no luck. I cannot open this lid. is there anyone who knows how to open without damaging the part?

i will put a picture soon to show better the part

spalanca

you can see the lid in the picture:

there is no handle or anything you can use to open it. it feels like a "rubber skin"... very fragile.

I dont understand if you need a special tool or if you have to destroy it to open and then replace with a new one, or if you can reuse.

Attachments

• IMG-20130519-WA0004_resized.jpg
    IMG-20130519-WA0004_resized.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,630

spalanca

the lid has code 06H115418D

if anybody know the correct way to open it and then close it again please respond :)

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Yeah this is pretty cool. There are plenty of VW techs flying around here, can any comment? Have any of you tried this?

Is there any way to glean from this simple inspection whether your tensioner might be ready to let go of the chain? I figure not, but it's worth a shot ;)

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
the lid has code 06H115418D

if anybody know the correct way to open it and then close it again please respond :)

I love the technical name ECS gives it... "PLUG" lol Its $7 i dont know why it couldnt be replaced after taking it off.
Ill be working on my car this weekend. Ill take a look and give my diagnosis as to the validity of said statement

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
Hello!
A friend of mine went to the dealer to fix the infamous rattle noise.
Of course he had to replace tensioner and chain + other parts...

However, the point is that at VW service they managed to quickly check if the tensioner was faulty without open the metallic cover or remove any parts. How did they managed to do this?

Apparently they opened the little round lid that is made of rubber/plastic and is positioned in front of the tensioner.(Sorry i don't know how to name it properly in technical english)

It seems that you can check if your tensioner is still working properly or if it caused chain stretching.

I report here what VW service said to my friend:
"The old tensioner (my '09/'10) has marks on itself. if you open this "checking lid" and look inside with a little mirror you can count the marks.
If you can count 4 or more marks, then your chain is probably stretched and/or the tensioner doesn't work properly anymore and need complete service."
This may be also the reason why at some time the GTI makes awful noise at cold start.

I tried at home to open this little lid and check the status of my tensioner, but had no luck. I cannot open this lid. is there anyone who knows how to open without damaging the part?

i will put a picture soon to show better the part

You can look through the "window" and see the tensioner, but it's not easy. The hole is there so that you can "pin" the tensioner once pressure is released from it, for removal. The business end of the chain tensioner shows the biggest difference. I have an old one lying around here that I just removed. I am sure that if you know what you are looking for, you might be able to see it. But you could also be able to read the part # to see what revision it is. Chances are, unless your can is brand new, you probably have the old style one.

zrickety

The Fixer
More good info. But I don't think chain stretch is the main concern.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I thought when these go there is no symptom or noise, it just goes? :confused:

RandomUserName

Ready to race!
There is someone here who knows how to check the timing chain failure in a couple of steps:

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/fo...=12300&p=108504&hilit=2.0+tsi+engines#p108509

But i would like images.

That guy RW1 is highly respected in that forum, probably the one who knows most about that car.

Here's some pics... If it looks like this one

Chances are its the old style. The one with the "issues"

Read the length of the tensioner piston stroke. Now compare it to when I pressed it in with my thumb only, to the mechanical stop.

If it looks like this;

It's the newer one. The newest one....

There is a couple DIY's that show how to tear down to that level. I just did mine. And while it didn't fix my "issue", it is piece of mind knowing that I have the newest revision now.

You *might* be able to see in the inspection hole with a mirror and light to see which one you have. I couldn't, though I really didn't try.