GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI test today - German model

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I have a great dealer where I take my MK6. They offered me a test today of a DSG MK7 GTI with about 3000km on the system so far. Who would refuse! :)

-Paint was the nice pearl effect metallic. Looked great. I would consider it
-Interior is very very nice. At least the quality level of my 2012 MK6 if not better. More room. Vizability no issues noted.
-The seats are sport and were covered in a combo of plaid cloth and Alcantara type material with red contrasting stitching effect.

-Seat bottoms are firmer than my Mk6 seats. Sde bolsters felt better/tighter

Key type start with the Auto-stop-start feature. Button to easily disable on the center console.

Driving:

Great experience overall--

-The DSG has been refined per my rep there and on slowing down to lights/stops the shifts were smooth. Much smoother than the TT I had in 2008. I would consider this gearbox vs the manual.
-The car felt planted and rode a bit harder/tighter than my Mk6.
-The steering is noticeably quicker. Its readily apparent. This is fun and
tossable machine and the steering brings that feeling out quickly.
-On the Autobahn 200+kmph is not a problem. This car has 20hp more than my US model MK6. You feel it quickly and the DSG accentuates the feeling of acceleration.
-I like how this car handled. It had a nice stance and ride. Planted and with a sure footed feel in sweeping turns.
-Brakes were very catchy and immediate when applied. They are significantly better than my MK6. Both acceleration and braking are improved and noticeably.
-The NAV is great easy to read and manipulate. The stereo had a nice sound and overall this model GTI was a touch quieter than the MK6. That should be no surprise its a completely new car and motor.
-I liked the exhaust note overall and from the outside it sounded nice for a stock system.
I was only granted about 90min with the car as the tests are booked for sometime. The car can be bought for 32000Euro's as equipped. No sunroof.

You can really spec a car out in Germany with a myriad of options avail vs the simple package approach in the US. Too bad for the US market again.
That being said the GTI here was stickered near 40,000Euros to begin with. That is alot of money but a GTI in Germany is not an in-expensive car to begin with.

I have owned alot of cars, many interesting, mostly sport some exotic. I am not the greatest reviewer and much of what I feel just does not pass down the fingers to the keyboard.

To summarize I would most definitely buy a Mk7 as equipped with DSG in this color. This car is a step up from the Mk6. Others may not feel so just on looks. I do like my Mk6 very much but today confirmed the very nice driving experience the MK7 GTI will bring. Certainly the US model will be a touch different but it should be worth a look and test for you!!

Attachments

• Mk7Gti1.jpg
    Mk7Gti1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 7,246
  • Mk7Gti2.jpg
    Mk7Gti2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 3,918
  • Mk7Gti3.jpg
    Mk7Gti3.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 4,722
  • Mk7GtiNavi.jpg
    Mk7GtiNavi.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 3,454
  • Mk7Mk6.jpg
    Mk7Mk6.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 3,473
Last edited:

Valli666

Ready to race!
I went to the dealership last week where they advised me that it would be here in around a month.

They also advised me that it would be European spec just like the MK6 I bought.
My main concerns are the looks and early model gremlins that would need to be improved.

On the plus point the car sounds a lot better on paper and when I sat in the Bluemotion MK7 they had in the showroom it was apparent that the quality if the interior had improved.

Won't really be able to make a decision until I see the MK7 GTI in person, but based on DaveSTR's post, it looks very promising.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Awesome man.
Thanks for the feedback,I definitely have great expectations for new 7 specially with the changes you could do on the fly via touch screen and hopefully we get ACC suspension package as well. The DSG hands down this time it will be harder to beat with the new LSD.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
nice review sounds like you had some fun with it. That stripe through the headlight still makes me cringe every time I see it. I like the new body style but that stripe alone makes me glad I didn't wait and got my 13' gti instead.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
wow.. the seats and nav are greatly improved. Thanks for the review, dude! ;)

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
i like it. but not feeling the red line in the headlights, wheels are "meh".
interior is nice. pretty much like a refined MK6.
i guess until i see one in person, im still content with my MK6 and happy i didnt wait. :thumbsup:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I went to the dealership last week where they advised me that it would be here in around a month.

They also advised me that it would be European spec just like the MK6 I bought.
My main concerns are the looks and early model gremlins that would need to be improved.

On the plus point the car sounds a lot better on paper and when I sat in the Bluemotion MK7 they had in the showroom it was apparent that the quality if the interior had improved.

Won't really be able to make a decision until I see the MK7 GTI in person, but based on DaveSTR's post, it looks very promising.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2

Post up if you get a test soon. Would like to hear your comments! Stay cool there! :)

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Those seats look great!

Nice review :thumbsup:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Those seats look great!

Nice review :thumbsup:

The seats are great on appearance. At first I was amazed how hard the bottoms are but after an hour I was fine. At first I was concerned they are not soft enough. Its just a different feel from the Mk6 and I do like those. I consider them(Mk7 seat) an improvement overall.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
The MK7 is excellent.
It's everything the MK6 is, but better.

I think it looks great as well, I like it's more aggressive scowl, I like the grooves in the facia, I prefer the rear, and I'm fine with the red line through the headlights.

I can't understand how anyone can like a '6, and not like a '7 as well.
It's all nitpicking in my opinion.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Seats look great! I love my mk6 so much, I really can't imagine improvements, can't wait to check it out when it hits the states!

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
interior does look incredible despite the mk6 already being awesome in that dept.

How did the cockpit feel? I like the idea of a lower roofline, did if feel sportier from the drivers seat because of this?