GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Breaking in?

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
I smoked the wheels pulling out of the dealership.
I feel there is no need to break in your engine and if your car had more than 8 miles it was already driven hard.

pvivino

Ready to race!
I don't believe in break-in periods. It used to be that you had to change the oil at about 1000 miles to get all the metal shavings out. Modern engines are machined much tighter and synthetic oils lubricate better.

I do believe in varying the RPM. If you go cruise control at the exact same speed during break-in the engine can settle in to work best only at that RPM.

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
I don't believe in break-in periods. It used to be that you had to change the oil at about 1000 miles to get all the metal shavings out. Modern engines are machined much tighter and synthetic oils lubricate better.

I do believe in varying the RPM. If you go cruise control at the exact same speed during break-in the engine can settle in to work best only at that RPM.

+1, but i'd still do an oil change roughly around 3000kms.
Follow F1s break in example. bounce off the rev limiter, and vary the rpms =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26X_s28ilYs

RatherBeInCabo

Ready to race!
The manual says do not run the car more than 75% of the speedo max the first 500 or 600 miles so basically, do whatever you want!

Shimino

Ready to race!
Engine is broken in at the factory.

Wrong.

Well, at least all my friends that work as tech in the VW dealer told me to take it easy.

In the old days yes, motors came tested already. Nowadays, to save $$ you should do it yourself.

My last 2 GTi's I have gone APR the same day I bought the car. This 2010, I 'll wait 5000 miles. (This coming week :) I already have 3800 miles)

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!
Read the section of your manual titled "driving your vw", break-in period and instructions are very clearly outlined. I'll abide them, my choice, we're all big boys here, you spent your $24-32k, do as you wish.

2010GolfGTIMK6

AutoTuning
Wrong.

Well, at least all my friends that work as tech in the VW dealer told me to take it easy.

In the old days yes, motors came tested already. Nowadays, to save $$ you should do it yourself.

My last 2 GTi's I have gone APR the same day I bought the car. This 2010, I 'll wait 5000 miles. (This coming week :) I already have 3800 miles)

Your friend is correct in saying taking it easy, as you should with any new product until all the gears mesh together to your driving style etc. However, the engine IS 100% broken in at factory, there is no grey area here. They have a department specifically for testing and running all engines at 100% for periods of time. Every single engine goes through this process.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
+1 I spoke yesterday with the Area Manager for VW, and the engines are dyno'd before they leave the factory.

Being run on the dyno and run for the hours it takes to properly break in an engine are two different stories. If VW says follow their break-in policy, I see no reason not to. It's a few weeks out of the years of a car's life.

DD89

Ready to race!
Being run on the dyno and run for the hours it takes to properly break in an engine are two different stories. If VW says follow their break-in policy, I see no reason not to. It's a few weeks out of the years of a car's life.

This. I've been following the manual (don't do 100% throttle, etc) except I've been mixing up the gears and getting the engine used to different RPMs for most gears. I'm nearing 600 miles so shortly I'll give it more than 1/3rd throttle, lol.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I havent really been pushing it but Ive used bout half the throttle when using tiptronic, rev till about 4k rpm's then shift

r56mcs

Ready to race!
IMO, More important than breaking in for the initial 600 miles is ...
warming up the tranny and engine by driving gently for the first few minutes everyday when you start the engine cold.