GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zoomer7's subtle (maybe for now) GTI build

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Hi all,
Picked up my 4-door GTI DSG Autobahn a few months ago and LOVING this car. It's the perfect combination of speed, maturity, practicality, and price. I went on a long 5yr save-money hiatus with a Scion xB, so it's good to be back in the go-fast world. My aim is a "grown-up" subtle look, that isn't LOUD and in your face, but has quality modifications. I need it to haul around all my gear/luggage, yet still turn heads and beat a few mustangs at a track day while I'm at it. :thumbup:

My short story, I'm a car photographer, and former Art Director for such magazines as Import Tuner, Honda Tuning, Sport Compact Car, Turbo, and even dabbled with European Car a little. So I'm trying to use all of my years experience to build a clean GTI.

Build so far:'

Updated shots:

Engine (install courtesy of GMP Performance):
APR ECU flash stage 1
APR Carbonio intake
APR cat-back exhaust

Suspension:
D2 Racing street coilovers
UNIbrace UB, RB
BBS CH-R 18x8.5 et47 Titanium wheels w/ red centercaps
Michelin 225/40/18 Pilot Super Sport tires
VWR big brake kit LOVE!
SPM Front/Rear sway bars
TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Collar Kit

Interior/Exterior:
OEM black front lip
S2T black paddle shifters (LOVE!)
Yakima/Whispbar roofrack
Parts4Euro.com smoked side markers
OEM LED tail lights (tinted)
Euro Image wiper delete

Sitting on floor but not on car yet
UNIbrace XB

Future:
Hell if I know now... lots and lots of miles!

Here's the last "tuned" car I had:
1999 Subaru 2.5 RS with more suspension mods than I can count.. I'm more about handling than power.

Stock:

The Process:

OEM LED tinted rear lights, Euro Image wiper delete, GTI badge

More to come soon! I have the BIG initial upgrades out of the way though... I think ;)

Last edited:

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
As I've said before, car looks great.

Car photographer, eh? Interesting.

Thanks!
Yea that's how I make my $$$
The shoots I do take up hours/days of my time... so when I get free time the last thing I want to do is take shots of my car. I'll stick to more natural light shots :p

Last edited:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Are you doing corporate automotive photography, or is it freelance work for individuals and publications?

Just piqued my interest. I have a degree in photography, life just happened to drag me into marketing instead.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Are you doing corporate automotive photography, or is it freelance work for individuals and publications?

Just piqued my interest. I have a degree in photography, life just happened to drag me into marketing instead.

Started with editorial (Modified, Import Tuner, RIDES, etc)
Then became art director for car mags for ~4yrs, then set out on my own...

After grinding for a while I've got some corporate jobs with BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche. It's been a good year. I'm all over the place, but the real $$ is in OEM photography. My site hasn't been updated with the new stuff yet, but I'll let ya know. Feel free to hit me up for any questions.

www.clintdavis.net

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Started with editorial (Modified, Import Tuner, RIDES, etc)
Then became art director for car mags for ~4yrs, then set out on my own...

After grinding for a while I've got some corporate jobs with BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche. It's been a good year. I'm all over the place, but the real $$ is in OEM photography. My site hasn't been updated with the new stuff yet, but I'll let ya know. Feel free to hit me up for any questions.

www.clintdavis.net

Damn. Your career seems to be where I wish mine would've went. :laugh:

Nice work. A little too much post for my tastes on some shots, but everyone has a different style. Impressive, regardless.

I ride too. Just did a 95 mile road ride with 7k feet of elevation today.

Michael58121

Go Kart Champion
Were did you get the whispbar roof rack from? looks good

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Thanks fellas. Took a few iphone snaps while driving in the mountains over the weekend. Definitely need to roll the front fenders and/or raise the coilovers a bit. Rubbing more than I want for hard braking/cornering.

A good angle of the S2T black paddle shifters... Again, I LOVE these bits. Definitely heightens the DSG experience, and the quality is amazing. I sometimes find myself caressing the aluminum while derping down the road lol.

DerekKanarek

Ready to race!
Great car! I love your wheels, I need to save up and get those S2T paddles they'd be a nice addition :D

jbetts1790

Ready to race!
Great photos, and sweet wheels! Photography is a hobby for me, but I have yet to take some decent photos of my new GTI.

Zoomer7

Ready to race!
Duuude. :thumbsup:

You're lighting is amazing. Just curious but are you using speedlites or studio strobes or what? I'm struggling a little with off camera lighting right now.

Also, is that stuff in medium format?

Thanks!
This year has really blossomed for me. I've gone from shooting editorial regularly to jumping up to corporate/OEM shoots. Funny you mention my gear, because I'm buying my first medium format today and renting ProFotos. Believe it or not I survived using mostly a 5DmkII (now have a mkIII) with 3 AlienBees. Everything you see on my site has been done with that equipment or less. Definitely time to upgrade, but you'd be surprised how many pros are still using 35mm with inexpensive lighting.