GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic MK6 GTI Exhaust Install and Review

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Link to CBE- http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/ecu-tuning/Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-MK6-20L-TSI-2011-2012-hwtsiexhaust

After riding around at H20i this year in a GLI with a new Unitronic turboback exhaust, Unitronic K04, and Unitronic intake and seeing it all put together on display I decided I need to have one on my car. I did like the sound of my previous exhaust but the Unitronic seemed to be a more "grown up" and refined in sound. The way a German sportscar should be no loud obnoxious fart cans here.

Ordering and Shipping:
As many of you guys know that customer service is extremely good from Unitronic. To be blunt I ordered it last Thursday and it shipped Friday, to my surprise I came home to a nice present on Monday evening. I am not to far from HQ but hooray for getting it out before the weekend so it was a sure thing this week.

Package:
The exhaust was packaged up very well, Every part was packed so nothing was rubbing or even if the super careful shipping companies wanted to see if it could bounce nothing would be damaged. But unfortunately I was too excited and opened it without any photos ( I am really bad when it comes to new part I cant ever remember to take photos during an install). Every part was packed so nothing was rubbing or even if the super careful shipping companies wanted to see if it could bounce nothing would be damaged.

The CBE system itself:
All unpacked and Laid out you will see the tail pipe and silencer section, The mid crossover section with its own muffler and a reducer if you are using a stock downpipe. They also have an option 3" section if you already have an aftermarket 3" downpipe from Unitronic. Hardware included are the two necessary v-bands and two v-band alignment and sealing rings.

Quality:
Pictures and seeing the system itself shows how well its made, the welds are great, 100% stainless and hangers have stops so they can't pull out of the rubber hangers. Just take a look at the weld quality and the aligning v-bands, no leaks here :D

Sealing and alignment rings/gaskets (100% metal)

Grove for sealing ring

Sealing installed, note the quality

V-band construction

Those shinny tips and etched logo

Fitting the system:
Already having my old catback off the car made installation crazy quick. It may have taking me 15 minutes. Popped the mid-crossover pipe into the hangers that lined up perfectly. routing is also perfect with plenty of clearance. Nexted I installed the rear section, one tip would be to remove the passenger side hanger, two 13mm bolts, and the slid that on to the rear section (again should have taken a photo, maybe later this week). Next install the rear section onto the hanger on the driver-side and bolt the passenger on back up. Next install the Unitronic proprietary ring between the sections in and clamp with the Unitronic spec'd v-band clamp produced by clampco.

All I have to say is wow it all lined up perfectly in the hangers no pulling or twisting of the mounts. The tips line up absolutely perfect and centered in each cutout on the factory valance. My old setup fit and lined up but not like this, no adjustment of anything needed. Seems to be a trend of Unitronic product from what I have been reading on the intakes.

Rear view

Sound:

Nice rumble without being very loud on an idle or highway. I am talking 0 - Zero drone you can easily think talk to your passangers and take long drives, Windows up or down it does not matter. when you get on you can hear it in the car but again it sounds very good nice low tone but its not crazy loud.

This is the more sophisticated exhaust, you bought a nice German sports car that looks good and is very tight, fit and finish are above your typical American or Japanese car. So you exhaust matches that profile. Clean, good sound but not overly wild, that class above others. You can enjoy a family trip or cruise with others. Also like in my case (as well as others) its a pure sleeper, its still a high performance no comprimise 3" exhaust. The car is a wolf in sheeps clothing at 500+whp

Sound Clip

Last edited:

maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
Congrats buddy. I've only seen one video with a TBE and the sound is awesome!

Waiting for the videos :thumbsup:

LoveMyGTI8970

Ready to race!
I wonder if I could mate this DP with my Eurojet Gen 2 CBE?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
A few notes when comparing to the EuroJet V1 TBE....
-V-band construction seems different
-The V-band sealing ring is different
-The rear muffler is a different shape and does not hand down as low as EuroJet
-The welds on both mufflers are completely different, the EuroJet had rolled edges where Uni has extremely smooth welded edges.
-The hangers have stops
-Exhaust tips and welding look similar less the branding stamp

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Look's sweet. I've been eye balling this exhaust, but waiting for a review. Can't wait to hear it. Is it louder than the Eurojet v2?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
jesus christ.. i was die hard neuspeed catback lover for years.. but this one might just take over for me. the sealing rings are an extra special touch. I NEED A GTI AGAIN.....

Unitronic is on a roll these days......